Stroud Green - Planning Applications

Comments

• The demolition of the current Wells Terrace corridor is what is allowing the extra cinema space. An odd thought, sitting in a cinema chair where thousands of people used to funnel through every day.
  • Have we heard who the cinema is going to be?  It looks about right for a Everyman or Picturehouse to me.
  • I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that it was going to be a Cineworld, or now maybe a Picturehouse which is owned by Cineworld.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • You're right - @stata confirmed it after a visit to the Business Centre.
  • edited October 2014
    <span style="font-weight: bold;">P2014/3456/FUL</span><br>JE Jewell Garages Ltd, 17A Japan Crescent, London, N4 4BB<br>Demolition of existing garage/workshop and erection of 2no. x 4 bedroom, 2 -storey dwellinghouses with associated cycle store, refuge storage, boundary and landscaping. <span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;">Registered Date: 29-Sep-14 </span><div><br></div><div>Fascinating. Japan House has a hell of a lot of land behind it! Not just the rear garden, but a big wooded area along the railway track. <br><br>My only concern is that maybe there is grounds for an architectural survey here, given the historical Japan House.<br></div>
  • edited October 2014
    <span style="font-weight: bold;">P2014/3456/FUL</span><br>JE Jewell Garages Ltd, 17A Japan Crescent, London, N4 4BB<br>Demolition of existing garage/workshop and erection of 2no. x 4 bedroom, 2 -storey dwellinghouses with associated cycle store, refuge storage, boundary and landscaping. <div style="font-weight: normal;">Registered Date: 29-Sep-14 <br><br>Fascinating. Japan House has a hell of a lot of land behind it! Not just the rear garden, but a big wooded area along the railway track. <br><br>My only concern is that maybe there is grounds for an architectural survey here, given the historical Japan House.</div>
  • edited December 2017
  • Will be a bin shed, all new developments have them for wheelie bins.
  • edited December 2017
  • A couple in and around Wray Crescent for you:<div><br></div><div>P2014/3455/FUL<br>22 Wray Crescent London N4 3LP<br>Erection of a single storey rear extension<br>Registered Date: 3-Oct-14 </div><div><br>P2014/3611/FUL<br>Islington Arts And Media School 1 Turle Road London N4 3LS<br>Siting of one storage container along the western boundary of the school grounds to provide additional storage for the school. Registered Date: 3-Oct-14<br></div>
  • edited October 2014
    More than you could even want to know about the City North construction process.<div><br></div><div>P2014/3347/AOD</div><div>City North Islington Trading Estate, <br>Fonthill Road & 8-10 Goodwin Street, <br>Islington, London, N4<br>Registered Date: 17-Oct-14 <br></div><div><br></div><div>There will be four cranes.  Four!</div>
  • (Oddly someone has stuck a load of Archway tower plans at the start)
  • HGY/2014/2934<br>49A Oxford Road N4 3EY<br>Prior approval for change of use from B1(a) (offices) toC3 (dwelling house)<br>Date Registered: 21/10/2014<br><br>HGY/2014/2951<br>12A Victoria Terrace N4 4DA<br>Change of use of a live/work unit comprising 2no two bed flats and workshops, to 2no. two bed flats and 1none bed flat.<br>Date Registered: 21/0214<br><br>HGY/2014/2975<br>23 Cornwall Road N4 4PH<br>Variation of condition 2 (plans and specifications) attached to planning permissions HGY/2014/035 and HGY/2014/641 in order to introduce door instead of window to basement.<br>Date Registered: 23/10214<br>
  • edited November 2014
    <div><div>P2014/4008/FUL<br>Flat A, 78 Birnam Road, London N4 3LQ<br>Installation of a window to the front bay at basement level and formation of a light well to allow the conversion of a basement area into a habitable room; alterations to front boundary enclosure.<br>Registered Date: 22-Oct-14<br><br>P2014/3205/FUL<br>16 Japan Crescent, London, N4 4BB<br>Demolition of an existing garage. Erection of two storey dwelling over basement including terrace at first floor level. Associated works to front and rear elevations.<br>Registered Date: 22-Oct-14<br></div></div>
  • edited December 2017
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">HGY/2014/315</span></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">33 Osborne Road N4 3SD </span></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">Erection of a ground floor rear extension</span><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">Date Registered: 11/11/2014</span><br></font></div>
  • <div><br></div><div><div class="Title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); vertical-align: top; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/5621/smadardreyfus" style="box-sizing: border-box; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: top; color: rgb(42, 100, 150) !important; background-position: 0px 0px;">smadardreyfus</a></div><div class="Title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); vertical-align: top; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></div><div class="Title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); vertical-align: top; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Sorry for cross-posting</div><div class="Title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); vertical-align: top; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></div><div class="Excerpt" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(85, 85, 85); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><div style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;">We are trying to organise local residents to object to Planning Application HGY/2014/2934</span><br style="box-sizing: border-box;"></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial;"><br style="box-sizing: border-box;"></span></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">We've only just become aware of the details of this application which proposes the change of use and the conversion of Oxford House into 43 so-called "micro flats" (in fact they are tiny bedsits, many of them without daylight and very difficult access for emergency services) for rental purposes. </span><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.7em;">The design of this dense development suggests that it will have a high turnover of short term residents, with a severe impact on this part of the neighbourhood. </span></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.7em;"><br style="box-sizing: border-box;"></span></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22px;">You can view all the details, and post an objection online here:</span></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><a href="http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=277358" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(42, 100, 150) !important; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: initial initial;">http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=277358</a></span><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 1.7em;"><br style="box-sizing: border-box;"></span></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><br style="box-sizing: border-box;"></span></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">We acknowledge that there is a housing shortage in London, but we believe this is the wrong type of housing for this location and an abuse of the current regulations on the change of use of office/ light industrial buildings. Also, with the Sketch house and City north developments we already have a large increase of population density in the neighbourhood.</span></div><div style="box-sizing: border-box;"><span style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;">Please help us to stop this proposal!</span></div></div></div>
  • Why will short term residents have a detrimental impact on the neighbourhood? And why do you think it will be short term residents?
  • having had a good look at the plan, it does look like an amazingly large number of flats in a tiny area. i can't see why the developer would be trying to fit so many in except for the rental income, but it looks too dense to be very pleasant and as its the redevelopment of an existing building, the sound proofing, central services etc will be not great in such a tight space.<div>I've objected on the grounds of too dense and the knock on parking effects it will have in the neighbouring roads (there's virtually no parking on Oxford Road as it stands, so the spill over has to be on all the surrounding roads). I don't object to the site being developed, but this seems a particularly unsympathetic, squeeze them in development.</div>
  • The scheme explicitly prohibits residents from gaining a parking permit, and give residents membership of local car club scheme, so there should be no impact on parking.  They are also giving £30,000 to cycling improvements around the property.
  • The objections so far all seem to focus on parking, or lack there of, which seems misguided to me since most of the people living in these bedsits probably will be young and single and unable to afford both a flat and a car OR more likely they will be tourists, because let's be honest, won't most of the flats end up being rented on airbnb anyway? Holiday lets seem to be a permitted use under the change to C3.
  • edited December 2014
    Looking through the many comments on the planning portal it seems like only one commentator has read the application and actually noticed that it's a car-free development.<div>If Stroud Green is short of any sort of accommodation I'd have thought it was bedsits and one-bed flats - they've certainly been the hardest to find when I've looked for myself in the past!</div>
  • I lived in a 'micro-flat' when I first arrived in London, on the Islington side of N4. They are not meant to be lived in long-term, i.e. more than 6-12 months. Haringey may be fulfilling the 'letter' of it's commitment to provide more housing for the borough but not the 'spirit', at least in this plan.<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">The question I have is who are the market for these flats? How are these different for the student housing going up at the station? They are certainly not meant for families. </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">@Arkady, is there anything in the planning laws or in the application that prohibits renting the flats out very short-term i.e. as holiday lets. That's my concern.</span></div>
  • I'm no expert, but I don't think private property can legally be restricted in that way.
  • ISLINGTON<br><br>P2014/4566/FUL<br>38a Charteris Road London N4 3AB<br>Construction of a single storey rear extension set approx 1.9m from the existing rear facade and below the existing stair.<br>Registered Date: 19-Nov-14<br><br>P2014/4228/FUL<br>95 Stroud Green Road, London N4 3PX<br>The erection of a first floor rear extension for office (B1) use.<br>Registered Date: 13-Nov-14<br><br>HARINGEY<br><br>HGY/2014/3317<br>8 Lorne Road N4 3RT <br>Construction of a part single storey rear to part side infill extnsion and the conversion of the dweling into three self-contained flats<br>Date Registered: 26/12/2014<br><br>HGY/2014/3339<br>Flat 1, 2 Ossian Road N4 4EA <br>Construction of ground floor rear extension<br>Date Registered: 28/12/2014<br><br>HGY/2014/3341<br>54A Ferme Park Road N4 4ED <br>Erection of a single storey rear conservatory<br>Date Registered: 28/12/2014 
  • the focus on parking in the objections may be because all those living close have had council headed letter through the door from the 3 local councillors making everyone aware of the proposed development and noting that the previous 2 plans were rejected on the basis of local parking considerations
  • Without pointing out that this application is parking-free? Good on them for keeping you informed though.
  • edited December 2014
    Reading through the latest Oxford House application is on my to-do list for today... previous objections haven't only been re parking though (which I know because I've written/been involved in a few of those objections). Several previous applications failed to notice that Stroud Green is a conservation area and has been for years; the idea of tearing down the facade did not go down well; and provisions for rubbish storage & collection have been inadequate on every application I can remember. I don't know a lot about planning regs - what is 'Prior Approval', @Arkady? I have been surprised to see that works seem to have started already, and apparently most of the commercial tenants have been turfed out. 
  • Also, in terms of shortage of housing around here, there is certainly a shortage of 1 bed flats, but not really of studio flats - Rightmove shows 51 in N4, and that doesn't include studios which agents call 1-beds even though they're not!