Slashed tyres - Corbyn Street

This morning we noticed that at least two cars on Corbyn St had slashed tyres - totally deflated - and that a car driving along Tollington Park had both front tyres totally deflated too. When I got home I checked our car and one of ours has been slashed too. (At some point our car was also scratched, a few weeks ago). I called the local police team who are aware of an increase in criminal damage. They have a good idea of who it is, but have not been able to catch them in the act. Absolutely infuriating. I could quite happily inflict violence on the fucker(s) responsible. <br>

Comments

• edited October 2014
    We have had the same problem on Hatley road with cars being badly keyed and cars being keyed and having their tyres slashed on Durham road near the junction with Moray road.<br>While I was on Charteris road this afternoon I noticed a car had also been keyed and had it's tyres slashed.This has been happening over the past 2 weeks.<br>@therattle did the police say who they have a good idea of who it is? I would love to know, a description of the perpetrators would be very useful. It is clearly the same person/gang who is doing it at random as the style of keying is always the same, a bit like a signature.<br>About a week ago I also noticed 2 cars on Birnam Road had also been keyed really badly in the same style.<br>The damage these mindless thugs are causing will easily run into ten's of thousands of pounds not to mention the upset and heartache they cause.The police really should be doing more to catch them and put a stop to it.<br><br>
  • Maybe it is a backlash against the people bringing gentrification to the area with their starbucks, their art framers, their theatres, their non-chickencottage restaurants and their cars - yes cars, how dare they.  This area was much better twenty years ago when no one could afford cars, before the bourgeoisie moved in with their hoity toity ways and jobs and things. 
  • But these hypocrites are using knives, rather than their (few, gappy) teeth!
  • 20 years ago they would have nicked the cars. This kind of behaviour is scumbaggery - I hope the police catch who it is.
  • Hmm, I'm flat-hunting at the moment. Thanks for the heads-up on some streets to avoid!
  • Vetski, it seems pretty widespread. A And verga, yes, a 2003 1.2L VW Polo is a screaming symbol of gentrification. I just went to get the tyre replaced at the place opposite the Stapleton; the man there said he'd had a load of cars coming in. He denied involvement! Police did not say who they thought it was.
  • Widespread but only on the Islington side of SG, it seems - I haven't seen keying/slashed tyres on the Haringey side. Yet... *touches wood*<div><br></div>
  • Walking through the nags head market today 3 cars each had 3 slashed tyres. But that the corner of despair for you.
  • edited October 2014
    Nope, sorry to disappoint for the Haringey side - they keyed our Jaggy <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-style: italic;">and</span> the Rangie. <div>Why are these people even allowed keys, let alone knives? </div><div>(Dramatic licence aside this shit behaviour, thrives and fails to recognise </div><div>administrative boundaries). </div>
  • Sorry to hear, @Perflexed. I really don't understand how/why 'people' get their kicks from doing something like that. 
  • At least 15 cars done on my road alone scum bag leaves signature magic. As well as slashing tires . If I cach him I will show him magic and make him disapear
  • Heads up please if anyone catches these little terrors, my car got targeted last week...
  • This is getting ridiculous.  Scratching cars with keys was going 30 years ago. Probably, nothing got to do with gentrification but bored teenagers doing what they do.  <div><br></div><div>You've seen Fight Club too many times.</div>
  • Perhaps we are all stupidly looking at this in the wrong way? <div><br></div><div>Rather than getting all angry & irate & then a little depressed & then even more angry than we were before at this wilful and spitefully idiotic destruction of other peoples personal property - we should perhaps charitably view it through the sanguine eyes of <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/1058/kreuzkav">kreuzkav</a> and see it's 30 year heritage as eligible for some sort of community grant or perhaps even some National Lottery initiative. Obviously, a soft launch with just scratch cards to begin with.</div>
  • edited October 2014
    @ Perplexed, I wasn't condoning it but saying that it's probably idiotic teenagers rather than some underground network of anarchists doing this.  From what I've heard all sorts of cars have been vandalised, from cheap second hand ones to luxury ones.  <div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • <div>Yup - and idiotic teenagers are nothing new. I've been on Corbyn St for nearly 20 years and I haven't encountered slashed tyres before, but random vandalism is a constant. I <span style="font-size: 10pt;">remember occasional outbreaks of wing mirror attacks in the past; and even earlier in Stapleton Hall Rd, attempted break-ins that left locks mashed up. </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I'm sorry for those who've been hit, though - touch wood so far OK here ...</span></div>
  • Walking down Corbyn early one morning in late September, I noticed a car up on bricks, all its wheels removed.  Police were present, owners looking understandably nonplussed.  Pretty ballsy effort for a residential street and a relatively quiet one at that.
  • I had a thought on this. I did not report this to the polis as I didn't think there was much point, but if everyone reports it, their crime stats will start to look bad, and this might focus their attention on catching the culprits. <br>