Are you too scared to cycle in London?

Comments

• Ah, you must be thinking of someone else then. I never made it to writing group. I was going to go, but the one I intended to go to was cancelled and no more were ever planned.
  • Really? That's my bad then. I thought you were the one that knitted a lot and had a publisher interested. I could swear it was you. 
  • As the weather's getting worse: don't forget a spare inner tube, tyre levers, and pump. Last week I had a puncture on Camden Rd. (top of the incline) and didn't have anything on me, despite knowing better. Had to walk all the way up to the Giant shop to buy and inner tube for 7 quid, and got late in for work. Tut tut, Stella. Some mechanic I am. lol 
  • Stella, I *wish* I'd had a publisher interested! But sadly I never have. I do knit a lot though. 
  • Or was it an agent? YA novel.
  • edited October 2014
    Hi guys. I starting cycling seriously recently and this thread seems quite interesting. I travel to university from North Enfield to Bloomsbury so can pass the Stroud Green area. <div><br></div><div>So far it's been pretty good and I'm surprised how relatively easy it is to cycle on the main roads. Obviously you get the idiot drivers (especially on Friday evenings!), but nothing really dangerous has happened so far. </div>
  • Anyone interested in signing up for this: http://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=49133<div><br></div><div>20-mile ride around Harringay, 9 November.</div>
  • Hey, Tom. Nice to have another cyclist joining the merry thread. From Enfield to Bloomsbury is quite the commute. Wonderful! Hope you enjoy it as much as this thread's commuters do. I certainly love mine. Had a few quite close encounters with drivers but, after a few rather sharp swear words, I let it go.<div>My only 'crash' I was self inflicted, even though I have no idea how: came off my bike just before Camden, slid across the road (it was raining) and bumped my head hard. Called work, turned around to leave for home and, after a few hours, I was sure I was all right. Went to work the next day, but had a sore head for the next week. lol </div><div><br></div><div>Safe cycling, everyone. </div><div><br></div>
  • Cycling was a pleasure this morning. Hardly any traffic due to half term and lovely weather. If only it could stay like this all winter!
  • I agree Idorou. The other good thing with the clocks changing was that it was really light when I left this morning. Its impossible to know what to wear as it is so warm
  • Take care all those cycling back this evening - this is the most dangerous part of the year for cyclists.<br>
  • Thanks N19. This time last year was horrible
  • edited October 2014
    <div>Yes everyone please be careful at this time of year, last year saw a lot of fatalities around now. Lights and bright clothes. </div><div><br></div>I crashed my bike into the back of a car last week at ludgate circus (awful place to cycle) so I can't cycle at the moment, I'm gutted. It appears I have fractured my thumb. 
  • Oh dear. Hope you're better soon and the bike isn't in too bad a shape.
  • I'm ok apart from my thumb. My bike is a bit of mess with a bent front wheel, brakes and<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> forks but luckily the frame is ok so it can be fixed. </span><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I probably should have swapped details with the car I hit but I was a bit shaken and there was no damage to his car. I didn't think it was his fault but rather the black cab in front of him who just pulled to the side to either pick up or drop off a fare at a junction while there was a green light which made the car brake in front of me suddenly. </span></div>
  • I think the  rules are that you need to keep a safe stopping distance  to the vehicle in  from of you.   If you get banged at the back of your car it is usually the person  behind at fault.<br><br>Sorry to hear about your injury and the one to the bike<br>
  • edited October 2014
    @Ali ;<div><br></div><div>I do believe this is true also but I do think black cabs do just pull in sometimes without indicating at very stupid places causing cars and particularly cyclist to have to take evasive action. </div><div><br></div><div>I  think I did keep quite a safe distance otherwise at the speed I was going I would have hurt myself a lot more and I managed to hit the brakes just in time to not hit the car full speed. </div><div>I took my eyes off the car in front for a  second as there was a lady in the lane to my right who was in the wrong lane and was try get in my lane by pushing me out, she'd crossed the white separating lanes and was close enough for me to touch her car. </div><div>When I looked back the car in front had completely stopped as the black cab had blocked the lane.</div><div><br></div><div>If you know this junction (ludgate circus) you'll know how dangerous it is, 2 cyclists have died here in the last 6 months. There's a cycle lane here that just invites left hooks at the junction so I stick to taking the whole lane. </div><div><br></div>
  • Ludgate Circus is is a well-known accident zone and I think it's to do with the amount of black cabs looking for fares there.  I luckily don't cycle through it anymore.  There are also quite a few trucks that pass through it.  Miss Annie made the point about extending the no trucks through  central London policy that was adopted through-out the Olympics.  I think it should be implemented <div><br></div><div>Best wishes Matt and i hope your cycling nerve isn't dented by the accident.  </div>
  • @<;a href="http://stroudgreen.org/profile/1058/kreuzkav" class="Username" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); text-decoration: none; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background: 0px 0px rgb(245, 245, 245);">kreuzkav</a><div>Thanks for your best wishes. </div><div>I'm hoping to get back on my bike as soon as possible as to help get my nerves back. </div><div><br></div><div>I cycle all over London and Ludgate Circus is the only place I thought I was going to see a cyclist killed by a lorry doing a left hook. </div><div>The lorry was in the right hand lane I was behind it while a girl was to the left in the cycle lane, the lorry hit it's indicator left I thought it was just changing lane but it wanted to go left down fleet street so it cut across in front of me and just turned left, luckily the girl saw it and hit her brakes and avoided being flattened. </div><div>It is the only time I have heard a loud 'gasp' from pedestrians. </div>
  • edited October 2014
    Matt: So sorry to hear. It indeed only takes a second of not paying attention to crash. As cyclists, we have to be more attentive and watch what's going on around us. If you get side tracked by a car that could be dangerous to you, of course you pay attention to this first. I had a few of those hairy situations because cars were just changing lanes, particularly black cabs. Even though I'm a careful cyclist, it happens. <div>Wishing you a speedy recovery. </div><div><br></div><div>On a different note: I find that wearing glasses is dangerous in the rain. Now it's getting colder, they fog up, are wet and whatnot, and I had troubles to see properly yesterday. I've switched back to contacts now, but am still wearing glasses when my eyes tire of them. It's on those days, when it rains, that I'm particularly careful.</div><div><br></div><div>And something else, really important: You have no idea how many cases of 'really loose' brakes I see in the workshop. People are riding around with almost no brake power. If there's a gab of more than 4mm on each side of your brake pads, get them serviced (change pads, cables, if necessary, or just tighten them). Please. Well-functioning brakes in this season are even more important than in general.</div><div><br></div>
  • Totally agree about Ludgate Circus and the road markings and the road surface are bad,  In fact  the whole road up  Mount Pleasant is not great for cycling.  Your right that  near misses and colisioins nearly always come out of no where<br>
  • Stella is right, if you're a cyclist get your breaks done.  I put my bike in for a service a month ago and it was well worth it.  The gears are working so well and I put in less effort on a £300 road bike.  Plus I can do some emergency breaking if neccessary.<div><br></div><div>Agree with Ali, the whole trip from Ludgate Circus up to Mount Pleasant is a bit unpleasant. A lot worse going up than going down.  </div>
  • It's getting colder now. <div><br></div><div>Are you all cycling throughout the winter?</div>
  • Well the cold weather has taken me by surprise, which is a bit odd given that it's November. But it seems to have gone from being really unseasonally warm to proper cold with nothing in between. <div><br></div><div>My plan is to cycle all winter unless it snows or there's heavy frost. I've got all the cold and wet weather gear I need and I've already swapped to my winter bike. My three sets of lights mean I'm definitely visible in the dark.</div>
  • Like Idoru I plan to cycle all winter unless there's frost or snow.  I usually give it a rest for a few weeks before and after christmas.  I've invested in new cycling gloves this week as my old cycling mittens had worn out.  <div><br></div><div>After a scary experience on a tube at 8 am a week ago.  Packed, stopped in a tunnel, alarm went off, I realise the danger and hardship of cycling is a bit better.</div>
  • I also plan to cycle all year. Will build a winter bike that I can also ride in the snow as my racers aren't really suitable. Chances are that we're not getting much snow anyway, so it's only cold and wet to consider. Need gloves, too. 
  • Dont forget to wear double socks. I weear ski gloves in the cold. It is always fiddly trying to lock your bike when your hands are cold and stingy
  • I just can't work this weather out! Yesterday fleecy winter jersey, winter leggings and winter gloves = bit chilly. Today jacket and base layer with same leggings and gloves = too hot. 
  • Yeah, the weather is totally unpredictable. Yesterday was freezing, man. Today was lovely, just a bit windy.