Stroud Green - Planning Applications

Comments

• Prior Approval - In what context is it being used?
  • I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'context', @Arkady, but the proposed development box of the application form says: "Prior approval for change of use from B1(a) (offices) to C3 (dwelling house)".
  • edited December 2014
    Prior approval means that this proposed development/change of use (from office to residential) can occur under the permitted development rights introduced by the government in 2013 instead of going through a planning application. The issues you can object on in terms of Permitted Development is far narrower than traditional planning applications and generally transport, flooding and contaminated land.<br><br>It's called prior approval as the government has in effect already approved the conversion from office to residential.<br>
  • Thanks, @NorthNineteen. If you have a link to the objectable issues, I'd really appreciate it.
  • <p>Has anyone got any ideas on how theis can thwarted ?</p>
  • <span style="font-weight: bold;">ISLINGTON</span><br><br>Tesco are going to swank up the front of their shop with new fascias and timber cladding.<br><br>P2014/3409/ADV<br>109-115, Stroud Green Road London N4 3PX<br>Display of various signs. Also full planning application reference P2014/3413 submitted<br><br>P2014/3413/FUL<br>109-115, Stroud Green Road London N4 3PX<br>Installation of a woodfex welcome wall to left of entrance door Also Advertisement application reference P2014/3409 submitted<br><br>10 Crouch Hill (Exotic of India) is getting restored metal railings above the shop sign.<br><br>P2014/4624/FUL<br>Flat 10A, Crouch Hill London N4 4AU<br>External alterations comprising installation of new metal railings on the property's front elevation and replacement of existing window with new glazed doors to enable a new access at rear.<br><br><br><span style="font-weight: bold;">HARINGEY</span><br><br>HGY/2014/382<br>11A Victoria Road N4 3SH <br>Erection of a single storey rear extension<br>Date Registered: 04/12/2014
  • Wonder if the store will be refurbished too...  The proposed signage will make this stretch look a lot better, about time too.<br>
  • There also  seems to be more staff in the shop and less empty shelves <br>
  • It has got a lot better, the queues are much less now.  I think the two sainsburys SGR and the tesco express on Hornsey Road have helped reduce demand but the additional staff and more self-checkouts have undoubtedly helped.<br>
  • Update on Oxford House - the planning application has been refused. 
  • P2014/4776/FUL<br>23 Moray Road London N4 3LD<br>The erection of rear extensions at ground floor, first floor and second floor levels, and a partial infill of the side passage at ground floor level.<br>Registered Date: 3-Dec-14<div><br>P2014/4342/FUL<br>Exeter Street Bakery, Morris Place, Islington, London, N4 3JG<br>Change of use from A1 to cafe (A3)<br>Registered Date: 9-Dec-14</div><div><br></div><div>...seems like they didn't have permission to convert that corner into a cafe....</div>
  • @Arkady how can you have a cafe without council permission?
  • Not an unreasonable question.  It would seem something's been going on, as the application was submitted in October but not formally registered until now.
  • If anything Tesco seems to me to have been getting worse - ranges I buy keep getting withdrawn, and even from what supposedly remains fairly basic items stay out of stock for days on end. 
  • edited December 2014
    <span style="font-weight: bold;">HGY/2014/3406</span><br>43 Mount Pleasant Villas N4 4HA <br>Construction of dormer window to replace existing roof window to rear elevation of main roof.<br>Date Registered: 08/12/2014<br><br><span style="font-weight: bold;">HGY/2014/3437</span><br>24 Albert Road N4 3RW <br>Extension of top floor flat into roof space with insertion of front and rear rooflights<br>Date Registered: 10/12/2014
  • <div><span style="color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961); font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 21.2999992370605px;">Hgy/2014/3508</span><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;"><span style="color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961); font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21.2999992370605px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Connaught Lodge, Connaught Road, N4 </span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;"><span style="color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961); font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21.2999992370605px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;">This might have slipped through the net as it's been submitted just before Xmas, but they're planning to knock down the garages on Connaught Rd and build another 4 floor apartment block, which would knock down the kids playground there.  </div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;">There's a claim in the application that the playground in under-used, but living directly behind it, there have been kids there all summer (reasonably enough it's less busy in winter, but so are all parks).  It's also surprising that they're able to build this in the conservation area.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;">Worth a look...</div>
  • Agreed. Would be more used but it's never been maintained by the council, due to lack of funds.. Shocking proposal from the council. Seems it's not really a conservation area, if it's a council planning application...
  • @straydog well please do lodge an objection on the site, be great to get as much support as possible.  Feels like the council are trying to get this through over Xmas while there are fewer people around to object.
  • I would be very, very surprised if this development was prevented.  Haringey are earmarking as many in-fill sites as possible to fulfil their obligation to build thousands of homes under the London Plan, and as this application comes *from* the council I doubt they will overturn it.<div><br></div><div>While the playground is doubtless a loss, Finsbury Park is just around the corner.  And the garages are an eyesore.  The building design looks good - modern while in-keeping with both the Victorian and 50s building surrounding it.</div>
  • edited December 2017
  • edited December 2014
    <div><div>Haringey Council are sadly rather lacking when it comes to planning enforcement, and tend not to pay too much attention to conservation arguments. I was amused by the line in the application form that referenced Haringey having no guidance for their Stroud Green Conservation Area, so they were relying on Islington's guidance for the other side of Stroud Green Road! Having said that, Islington do have good guidance...<br><br>Still, there's nothing to say there shouldn't be infill developments. And this one uses brick, isn't higher than its highest neighbours, and has a set-back upper story. That's pretty much as good as you can hope for.<br><br>And again - the need to meet their housing targets will override pretty much any other factor. Eventually they will realise that to achieve this they need to 'do a Southwark' and start redeveloping and densifying the local council estates, you watch.<br></div></div>
  • <P>Arkady, i would have to disagree on design. Also as you know precedent is not relevant in planning, but design is. The proposal looks like no other building in the area.  Green space is lacking in the area for children and whilst housing is also a problem, this is not proportionate in benefit.  </P> <P>However, i am most concerned that there is a view that if the council apply then its a done deal.  Thats exactly what they want people to believe, so they can get their own way and have different standards for others.  With this in mind i think its incredibly important that residents do respond to the proposal rather than just give up. Its clear that they proposal has been in place for some time (over a year) but the council have issued the notice now, when residents attention is on the holiday season. </P> <P>They have to take all views into account. </P>
  • edited December 2014
    <div>I wish you the best of luck. I suppose that all I'm saying - with the weary tone of someone who has assisted the Conservation Area Advisory Committee for years and commented on countless applications - is that I would be astonished if they turn this down. You're right about the proposal being in place for a long time - they will have worked hard to ensure that it's all internally agreed before putting it out to 'consultation'.<br><br>If you want to speak their language, then launch a campaign listing alternative council-owned sites where they could get the same additional square-footage without upsetting the neighbours.<br></div>
  • Thanks and I hear you. It may be fruitless, but we have to try. Do they publish details of empty sites?
  • No, but you could probably extract a list with an FOI request.  I've meant to do it myself.  Let me know if you do!
  • Ahh ok. Harringey offices are closed, so likelihood of getting response before consultation ends is zero.
  • Perhaps a quiet word with Councillor Gallagher?
  • edited December 2017
  • agreed! and will do.  will contact neighbours to do the same
  • HGY/2014/3502<br>Rear of 2 Woodstock Road N4 3EX <br>Demolition and rebuilding of storage /workshop building<br>Date Registered: 18/12/2014<br><br>HGY/2014/3508<br>Connaught Lodge Connaught Road N4 NR <br>Demolition of existing garages and construction of 8 new dwelling units<br>Date Registered: 18/12/2014<br><br>HGY/2014/3514<br>32A Ossian Road N4 EA<br>Replacement of front side windows with double-glazed identical timber box sash windows. Replacement of the<br>existing rear and side steel-framed /uPvc casement windows with uPvc double-glazed sash and casement<br>windows. Enlargement of 3 rear side windows in height to match the size of the sash windows of the adjoining<br>house (first floors of No. 30) and relocating the small rear side larder window<br>Date Registered: 18/12/2014<br><br>HGY/2014/3560<br>91 Woodstock Road N4 3EU<br>Replacement of subsiding back wall, erection of rear ground floor extension and refurbishment of HMO<br>Date Registered: 24/12/2014