Max's - Sandwich Shop - Crouch Hill

Comments

• I tried to stop in on my way back from Crouch End, the other day but all closed up and no 'sorry,early closing' notice. I adore Brigadoon.
  • Where, @poxy? I've looked through tweets going back to late Dec & haven't found opening hours...
  • It's in the Twitter profile description:<div><br></div><div><span style="color: rgb(41, 47, 51); font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(245, 248, 250);">Mon & Tue: Closed Wed-Thur: 5pm-11pm Fri: 5pm-00:00 Sat: 11am-00:00 Sun-11am-6pm </span><br></div>
  • Ah - I didn't actually log in to Twitter, maybe that's why I couldn't see the profile info. Thanks, @ Arkady.
  • I suppose I've been by it around 20 times now at various times.   It seemed to be originally branded as a late night place so I've often checked it out, coming back from the pub, but not managed to make it by midnight.    Closing then is too early to catch a post pub crowd.   Unless you're coming out of the Stapleton or The Nobel at last orders, you're not going to make it.   I end up going to the mini-supermarket across the road (open all hours) for provisions and making my own cheese-on-toast at home.
  • Open all hours? That mini-supermarket seldom goes much past 1. Not like Woody's (RIP).
  • Glad there's someone else wandering the streets looking for provisions in the wee hours.
  • Akdeniz on the corner of 7 Sisters & Durham is 24hr. And E. Mono kebabs closes at 3am, at least on weekends.
  • Having spoken to him he's a lovely guy but I think he is trying to tease the public.  Keeps us keen.
  • Has written for Vice too - http://www.vice.com/en_uk/author/max-halley<div><br></div><div>Enjoyed my beef sandwich but felt mildly let down by the bread.  Still, a great addition to the neighbourhood.</div>
  • Quite ironic as my one and only time in there he spoke too much.  Kept going on and on and on.  Friendly guy and I like to go on a bit but I was glad to get my onion filled object and head home.  
  • edited February 2015
    Those Vice articles are both informative and hilarious.  Love the writing style.  There's even a Dylan quote.<div><br></div><div>@Kreuzkav - I'm sure he found you charming and delightful.</div>
  • <a href="http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/maxs-sandwich-shop">Time Out Review</a><div><br></div><div>4 stars! </div>
  • Great! Personally think it should be 5 stars though... <br>
  • edited March 2015
    Glad to see this place get a good review, it's been rather quiet whenever I've been at weekend lunchtimes (guessing it's a lot busier at night?) and I really want it to do well as I'm rather addicted to their sandwiches! The temporary lamb raita special was my favourite, was sad to see it go. Plus, Max is really friendly and the music is always excellent. Smog, Velvet Underground, Mulatu Astatke...
  • Big article in today's Time Out - great news for Max's! <br>
  • Had such a great night in there on Friday. he was rushed off his feet - two of his friends had to volunteer to help. He's already taken on new staff, all this before that review was published. I'm worried I'll never get in there again.<div><br></div><div>He's stocking Beavertown Neck Oil now too - drink of the gods.</div>
  • edited December 2017
  • 7 quid's a bit steep though isn't it? And the drinks are a rip off.
  • I finally went there on thursday evening. I absolutely loved the sandwich. The bread is more like a focaccia and tastes sooooo good. I also had couple of tasty beers from local producers and i was so happy with my choice. Not to mention Max, who is a fantastic host. Can t wait to go back there.
  • Just read the review and it said the complete opposite to me. 7 quid for a sandwich is not 'cheap'. That being said, it's nice that someone took a risk on Crouch Hill and Max seems like a top bloke, his sandwiches taste nice too. 
  • £7 for a sandwhich made of quality ingredients, is huge and is not made by a huge chain is good value. Same for craft beers, you can't compare small batch production against breweries that churn out millions of pints a day.
  • I would like a cereal bar or a porridge shop. Then we would know SG has arrived!
  • Skev, I wasn't comparing it to huge breweries don't worry. I drink alot of microbrewery beer and have my own idea of what represents 'value' but obviously that's partly a matter of opinion. Sadly, craft beer has been taken over by a lot of bandwagon jumpers creating horrendously overpriced events such as craft beer rising. <div><br></div><div>However, I cannot accept £7 as being good value for a sandwich, no matter the ingredients. Then again, you get people willing to pay £50 for events like rib stock, so what do I know?</div>
  • If you're thinking about brunch and what you get for £7 elsewhere locally and afar, Max's provides great value. There is a friendly atmosphere , great music and decent beer. What more do you want? 
  • <div>@Peter Crumb  - <span style="font-size: 10pt;">It's a main meal, to very high standards, in the form of a sandwich. As the sign outside says, more food falls out of the sandwiches that you would get inside one from Pret. and where can you buy a craft beer in a bar for significantly less than he charges? Beavertown Neck Oil costs the same in Londis as Max charges in his shop, and not much less in Jack's.</span></div>
  • edited April 2015
    ITALIAN FARMERS BEST SANDWICH IN STROUD GREEN
  • @Arkady - Neck Oil is something like £1.80 in Bottle Apostle in Crouch End. I buy my Beavertown from their brewery in Tottenham where everything is £2.00 a can (and of course it's going to be cheaper there). As a result, I don't like paying more elsewhere. I did have a look and I see he charges £4.50 for his BT, which isn't actually too bad to be fair. Lots of place charge more than £5.00.<div><br></div><div>In terms of describing it as a main meal, I disagree. But then again, I'm pretty greedy. I'm still hungry after one of his sandwiches. If I spent £7.00 in the Front Room I'd be full. I guess that's a matter of opinion. It's probably just me being a bit old fashioned.</div><div><br></div><div>The sign outside makes me laugh as presumably Pret is considerably cheaper?</div><div><br></div><div>@DOAS I agree about the atmosphere in there, it's a lovely addition to the area.</div>
  • Peter Crumb I am very much on your side here. However you look at it those sandwiches at Max's aren't huge and are overpriced at 7 quid. You can get a really decent salt beef in Molen's for a little over half the price. What you're paying for, as I see it, is the hipster atmosphere. And sometimes I like that. But let's not kids ourselves into thinking 7 quid is a good price for a slightly above average sandwich. When it comes to the beer I do get cheesed off when people sell 330ml cans of lager at over 4 quid, as they did tonight at the N4 Street launch. I mean anyone can get a crate of tinnies and stick them in the fridge. If I'm buying beer when I'm out I expect it from a tap, with a nice bit of froth and in a big chilled glass (artisan London beers included). Pigeon out.