used car salesmen

... does anyone know any? My ancient car has finally died, and I have wasted the last few hours wandering around online car dealer sites and realising I have no idea how to tell if they're reliable or not. Obviously I'm <span style="font-size: 10pt;">a sheep among wolves when it comes to car buying. If you know of any friendly trustworthy dealers, suggestions very gratefully received. Even better if they aren't in Kent or Welwyn Garden City.</span>

Comments

• What kind of car are you looking for?
  • Car Giant? Massive selection of used cars (largest in the UK) located near Willesden Junction.<br>
  • What kind is part of the problem! The one that has died is an audi but they are too expensive now. Commute of around 35 miles, quite a lot of long motorway runs with children, lots of local shuttles ... So it needs to be reasonably sized and strong, and not too old since I've been driving very old cars for years ... I may go back to Car Giant but they look quite a lot more expensive than some of the smaller dealers. And too much choice just makes me confused. <div><br></div><div>Meanwhile I've bought my first shopping trolley and I'm doing a lot of healthy walking!<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • They are more expensive, but you paying to take less of risk and also for a bit better after-care etc. than your bog standard local dealer.  Of course some local dealers could offer an excellent deal but it may be lottery finding it!<br>
  • yep, that's the headache! I think if there aren't any local recommendations that's where I'll end up. Thanks!
  • Whatever you do don't buy diesel. They are nasty and hopefully will be banned soon
  • I second Car Giant.   Bought our present motor from them and it has been brilliant.     Good pre-sales checks and guarantee (though it's never had to be invoked).      I would much rather patronise a friendly local dealer, but I wouldn't really trust any of them.
  • You could look at localish dealers, Kate - e.g. Ford in Stamford Hill (not saying you should buy a Ford - it's just that it's the only main dealer I know locally. Am sure there are some for other marques)...they will often resell ex-fleet vehicles which are 6-12 months old at hefty discounts. And registrations have just changed, so again, possible discounts on not-very-old cars.