Finsbury Park Station/City North Development

Comments

• edited December 2017
  • Huge risk of someone being squashed by a bus
  • edited April 2015
    That pavement won't be closed. all the building work is happening behind the buildings that you list. Construction access to the site will be via Fonthill Road.
  • @MacLondon: A lot of preparatory work has to be done by Network Rail on the bridge infrastructure which they own (such as repairing and deep-cleaning the tiles) before Islington can use its funding to further decorate the area. And Network Rail are being intransigent. Beuatification is not high on their agenda.
  • <p>Are there plans to put in a pedestrian crossing at Wells Terrace/SGR junction so that people can use both sides of the pavement under the bridge when they are heading for the tube after they've got off at Wells Terrace? </p><p>At present the crossing is at Station Place section of the SGR.</p><p>And if the construction access will be on Fonthill Rd, will the pavement be open or will all the local businesses there be disrupted too? As I live slightly north of the station and don't take the bus, my plan is to use Fonthill which, I hope, will be less busy.</p>
  • I don't think anything has been said about a new pedestrian crossing.<div><br></div><div>I understand that access will be via the existing City North entrances on Fonthill Road and Goodwin Street - no need to close any pavements.</div>
  • @missannie - I am too very concerned by the crossing facilities through the bus station and Stroud Green Rd. Its a waiting disaster especially as the pavement by the station will be out of use
  • Anyone else noticed the massive green pipe that has appeared across SGR, couple of feet lower than the bridge - Station Place side? Wonder what will be the first lorry to hit it.
  • It's been there for a year or two. It's there precisely BECAUSE lorries have a tendency to ignore the signs and drive into the low bridge.
  • That's a sacrificial beam.  According to the crew putting it in a few years ago,  steel filled with concrete, and rather heavy.   <div><br></div><div>However, all of the recent bridge strike incidents have been on the other side of the bridge.  There's a sacrificial member in the middle of the bridge on the other side, and this has had the desired effect on oversized vehicles that hit it - usually tearing the roof off, or tipping them over. </div>
  • Good lord! Why don't they lower the road/raise the bridge?
  • There was one I remember on the Station Place side.<br><div><br></div><div>I assume that was a joke pigeon...?</div>
  • edited April 2015
    <br><div><table id="yiv3489510886holder" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="center" bgcolor="#eef6ff" style="border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; line-height: 15.600000381469727px; outline: none; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(238, 246, 255); padding: 0px; margin: 0px; width: 588px; max-width: 600px !important;"><tbody style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="100%" bgcolor="#eef6ff" valign="top" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-right-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); border-left-width: 1px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px;"><tbody style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="100%" bgcolor="#eef6ff" valign="top" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-right-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); border-left-width: 1px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px;"><tbody style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><tbody style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="2%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"></td><td width="96%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 14px; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(230, 44, 40); font-size: 12px;"><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="left" style="border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><tbody style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="100%" height="12" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 12px; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"></td></tr><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="100%" height="21" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td></tr></tbody></table></td><td width="2%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td></tr><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td colspan="3" width="100%" height="7" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 7px; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse; font-size: 6px;"><br></td></tr><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="2%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td><td width="96%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 14px; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(45, 48, 57); font-size: 12px;"><br></td><td width="2%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td></tr><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="2%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td><td width="96%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 14px; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(230, 44, 40); font-size: 12px;"><br></td><td width="2%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td></tr><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td colspan="3" width="100%" height="7" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 7px; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse; font-size: 6px;"><br></td></tr><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="2%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td><td width="96%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 14px; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(45, 48, 57); font-size: 12px;"><br></td><td width="2%" bgcolor="#ffffff" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;"><td width="100%" bgcolor="#eef6ff" valign="top" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; border: none; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; border-spacing: 2px; border-collapse: collapse;"><br></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></div>
  • <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Anyone know anything about the Wells Terrace exit closure being postponed? Apparently the developers are not in a position to proceed?</span><div style="font-size: 10pt; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><br></div><blockquote style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;"><div style="font-size: 10pt; font-weight: normal;"><span style="font-style: italic;">Email from TfL:</span></div><div style="font-size: 10pt; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;">I am writing to let you know that the work that was planned to take place at Finsbury Park Tube station from Monday 20 April has been postponed. </span></div></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;"><br></span></div></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;">Our Tube improvements are being co-ordinated with a local development adjacent to the station. The developer has informed us they are not in a position to proceed with their work at this time.<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span></span></div><div><span style="font-size: x-small;"><br></span></div></div><div style="font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-weight: bold; font-size: x-small;">Station entrances</span></div></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;">The Wells Terrace entrance will remain open until further notice to minimise disruption.<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span></span></div></div><div style="font-style: normal;"><div style="font-weight: normal;"><span style="font-size: x-small;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: x-small;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Ticket gates</span><span style="font-weight: normal;"> </span></span></div></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;">Please continue to touch in at the beginning and out at the end of each journey to pay the correct fare. </span></div></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;"><br></span></div></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;">We are reviewing our options of how best to continue to deliver improvements at Finsbury Park Tube station.<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span></span></div></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;"><br></span></div></div><div style="font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;"><div><span style="font-size: x-small;">Yours sincerely,</span></div></div></blockquote>
  • Got the same email...
  • The "...reviewing our options..." sounds pretty terminal.
  • Wow, this is quite a thing. Sutent and I attended the 'Meet the Manager' event yesterday and they seemed very confident that it was all going ahead. I've email my TfL contact in the hope of finding out more.
  • Wow that was unexpected. Hopefully they will postpone the starting date and complete in time in order to minimise disruption. It shows lack of professionalism though. The whole things seems like pure improvisation.
  • Lack of professionalism somewhere yes... at a guess I'd say there must be an issue with City North's contractors. Someone has certainly dropped the ball in a big way. Time will hopefully tell.
  • I've just had confirmation that they won't be turning on the gates yet.
  • @Arkady: Will the exit be open on Monday? I said my final goodbye to Wells Terrace this morning  as I away for the weekend. I can't face going through the goodbye again
  • Yes, until further notice.
  • edited April 2015
    PISS UP/BREWERY KLAXON.
  • There's a sign up this morning!
  • Saying that it's staying open until further notice to minimise disruption...Calloo Cally!
  • Good news. Work was being done on the footpath under the railway arches yesterday and it was half blocked off. I was wondering if it would be finished by Monday.
  • Islington Council were suspended the green cycle lane and raising it up to make one footpath. I doubt that would delay things as the modelling of people flow was done on the footpath with the cycle path. <div><br></div><div>This uncertainty looks very bad for TFL.</div>
  • If they just admitted they were wrong and realised the need for a change, I'm sure we'll all forgive them.<div><br></div><div>Next up: the Wells Terrace cashpoints, where signs still claim they will soon be replaced. Was that always a lie, or did it simply become one?</div>
  • Given that they were handing out leaflets on Thursday, one of 3 things happened: 1 - City North could not get their detailed construction plans agreed with Islington/TfL so it is delayed pending agreement (no need to close it if it does not get demolished right away - delay of a few weeks) 2 - Islington need to do the work under the bridge, etc (along with NR and any TfL works to the gates) and the delay is for this and lots of little things (so a short delay of a few weeks) or 3 - City North have changed the commercial terms of the deal at the last minute and TfL have to reasses whether they can go forward with the revised terms (this may mean a long delay and in the worst case no work) I doubt any of this is due to a reassessment of the temporary closure plans. Important to remember that TfL will not be able to go forward with the station improvements without City North paying for the core station works so a long delay will be much worse to everyone who uses the station.