Scammy window-cleaners

edited April 2015 in Local discussion
Just discovered a flyer in my letter box from *redacted* stating 'We have cleaned your windows today', addressed with my first-name, and asking for £15.<div><br></div><div>As this is unsolicited, there is no contact, I am under no obligation to pay (and won't be doing so)   Furthermore, they don't appear to have actually cleaned any windows as they're still filthy, and £15 would be piss-takingly expensive for cleaning a single bay.</div><div><br></div><div>Has anybody else had one of these?  It seems really scammy. </div><div><br></div><div>[Removed name of company as I will be reporting this to trading standards.  The flyer was a 1/3 of a yellow sheet of A4 paper].</div>

Comments

• I was at home when they were giving out the flyers and so spoke to the guy doing it. They are based in Enfield, had done a couple of jobs in the area and were touting for more work by giving out flyers with quotes for doing the front windows. It's really confusing as the only thing they were giving out were slips saying they had already done the job! I jumped at the chance as we have had building work done at home, our windows are filthy and we have struggled to find a window cleaner. I agreed he could come next week to do the windows so I'll report back then!
  • Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but if this firm are scamming people -stating they have already cleaned their windows and no permission was granted, they can be done for fraud.  This is criminal behaviour.  The police or trading standards should be informed.
  • @kreuzkav: Absolutely it is.   And trading standard is probably were I'll be going next.  Now it's daylight I can confirm they definitely didn't clean my windows!<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • @ Marko Don't let the scammers know you're doing this.  They probably have given a pay-as-you-go mobile number so can't be easily traced.  But I'm sure Trading Standards have ways of carrying our secret surveillance.  Good luck!
  • edited April 2015
    <div>Good point. I've removed the company name from the post above. </div><div><br></div>They're a limited company (checks out with Companies House) with a plausible looking website and a 08455 phone number.   They also take card payment and have provided bank account details for BACS/FPS payments.<div><br></div><div>Also missing from the flyer is a company registration number and registered office address (a criminal offence under The Companies Act). No VAT number either - whcih would also be an issue if they are VAT registered. <br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • I've got an excellent window cleaner if anyone needs details. <br>
  • yes please to the window cleaner recommendation - always slightly nervous of the door knockers..<br>
  • We have great window cleaners, they come every few months and do a proper job with added chat, friendly disposition and Cockney cheer.   In fact I look forward to it.    Will pass on details if you want.
  • <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">Be careful! </span><div><br></div><div>there is a rogue-looking character who walks up the "Ladder" roads and onto Stapleton Hall Rd/Mountview Rd pretending to be a window cleaner. He knocks on the road, checks the joint, then drops back later to relieve you of your items.<div><br></div><div>I discovered as I talked to the police who were looking for something and they described him. Two minutes later i saw him walking the streets.</div><div><br></div><div>Thick-set, white, mid forties, shortish, copped hair. Green bucket, shorts, a flimsy ladder, hardly any decent "proper" window cleaning tools. It's easy to see he isn't for real.</div><div><br></div><div>I'm loathe to tar window cleaners with a "bad brush" – I used to be one. All the more reason for me to highlight a cheeky scammer masquerading as a window cleaner.</div><div><br></div><div><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Arial">What really f****ks me off. IS he could easily just clean the windows for people and earn a decent living!</p> <p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Arial">For all his efforts, it's practically as much hassle just to get a cloth out and do it properly.</p> <p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Arial; min-height: 15.0px"><br></p></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • There's a lovely chap called Mike who does windows locally, am happy to pass on his number. You get clean windows and a load of local history - he's lived around here pretty much all his life. 
  • Do any of these people clean windows on the 1st/2nd floor?
  • Mike certainly does - he doesn't use ladders, he does them from the inside. I guess, though, that that's only possible with sash windows.
  • @Vetski could you please send me Mike's number too? In need of a window cleaner
  • @vetski would you mind sending on mikes number? Am also on a high floor and my sashes are grim!  thank you<br>
  • Have just messaged his number to both of you :)
  • Hi @vetski, would you mind messaging me Mike's number as well? Thanks!