Comments

• Crouch End on the list too - interesting that at the same time as selling 2 North London Wetherspoons they are opening one in Muswell Hill.<br>
  • Will be interesting to see if it goes upmarket. 
  • edited January 2016
  • Shame. The one in Crouch End is quite new isn't it?
  • Place bets now (as it were): Will the terrace of whatever replaces it still have grizzled locals having a smoke and a pint of cheap lager on the smoking terrace at 10am on any weekday?  (when, that is, they're taking a break from feeding the fixed-odds betting terminal next door in the bookies).
  • I think it would be a shame for the wetherspoons to leave, is often busy and clearly "serves" a large number of local people.
  • Will miss the steak night, that's for sure. Must be the best value for money pub food in the country. It is often busy, presumably they think the land is worth more than the bussiness. 
  • <p>I hope the local History info and  pitcures they have on the walls don't end up in a skip.</p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • It woudl be about te right size to bea Little Waitrose or similar
  • The one in Crouch End was going to be something that Crouch End currently lacks, but the lease didn't get signed in the end. I think it will be a shame if the WLM goes it is loved by a surprising amount of the community. I know, as do quite a few others members of this site, a large group of elderly chaps who pop in every evening to spend a couple of hours with a very cheap pint and a chat together. I can't think of another local pub where they would feel welcome, or be able to afford to do that. It served as a kind of community centre for a number of people and, although the newly arrived more fashionable residents probably don't understand it and think it should be another craft brewery or overpriced faux spit & sawdust venue, it has a purpose here. It wouldn't be my venue of choice but neither would Max's or The Noble. A good community should be a mixture otherwise we might as well have Gap, McDonalds & Starbucks.
  • <p>Agree with Miss Annie.</p><p>It used to be the Osbourne that  had that crowd but it became Nandos and they decamped to WLM</p><p>I guess the place is not making enough money.</p><p> </p><p>This  nearly happened a couple of years  ago but a decent manager turned up and sorted the beer out and it was quite good for a while.  He left and it has gone downhill ever since and  the beer is quite often dodgy.</p><p> </p><p>It is a bit of an SGR insitution and it will be sad if it goes.</p>
  • What do you mean by this "The one in Crouch End was going to be something that Crouch End currently lacks"?
  • I can't say but it will be good news when and if it does happen.
  • I will also miss the WLM, not least because I have a stack of 50p-off CAMRA vouchers that otherwise won't be used.
  • I won't miss either of them.   I just hope to god the Devonshire becomes a bookshop.
  • Doubt it.  Too big a site.  I imagine it will become a Prezzo/Strada/Cote/insert name of mid-market restaurant.
  • I liked that book shop in Crouch End that is now becoming a Waitrose bakery...
  • Peter, the debris will add to your name.
  • Nice one, Kreuzkav! LOL!! ROFL!!!<div><br></div><div>How am I doing?</div>
  • edited July 2015
    I wish we could get a "fast food" Ramen place. The ones in LA are mind blowing. Quick in and out service and so tasty. Dtori is always rammed
  • <p>Whilst not exactly what you are looking for, Salvation in Noodles has just opened at the FP end of Blackstock Road if you fancy a Pho fix: <a href="https://www.facebook.com/salvationinnoodles">https://www.facebook.com/salvationinnoodles</a></p><p>  </p>;
  • edited July 2015
    It would be great if the WLM was to go, mainly because the smoking area is filled with red faced aggressive cat calling drunks, it adds nothing to Stroud Green Road other than a cloud of smoke and sexual harassment. 
  • edited July 2015
    I know at least 4 of the people you are describing, and they are not aggressive in the slightest, and certainly not sexual harassers. In fact, they are delightful, and intelligent. I don't know the others, but I have never seen them behaving badly. I have no axe to grind, as I don't drink, and no longer visit pubs, although I sometimes stop for a chat with the WLM gang. I wish you hadn't made those remarks. They are hurtful and unfair.
  • edited January 2016
  • As I said, it wouldn't be my choice of venue, but in over ten years of walking up and down SGR at all times of day and night I have never heard anything resembling a catcall directed at anyone from the terrace of the White Lion! I'm sorry if you have had a different experience but that would be very much the exception rather than the rule.
  • Never had any hassle either. 
  • edited July 2015
    I walked past the pub many times and i heard unpleasant remarks about women etc. Not every one in the pub is the same, i would never say that, but it doesn't look like the most welcoming spot in the area.