Foraging: Elderflower

Hello All<div><br></div><div>I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any groups in the local area who food forage? I'd be happy to help local charities do it too.</div><div><br></div><div>Also, I'd love to find an elderflower tree to make cordial.</div><div><br></div><div>Any tips are greatly appreciated. </div><div><br></div><div>Thank you.</div>

Comments

• There are Eldeflower trees in Walthamstow marshes. Makes nice champagne 
  • Local elder trees have just about finished flowering, & are moving on to berry production - elderberry cordial?
  • Yes - too late for this year - I have a very large elder in my very small garden which had done flowering by the end of June. But for next year there are quite a few in Wray Crescent park. Or if you remember, contact me and I'll be happy to pass on blossoms.<div><br></div><div>The Parkland Walk is a good spot for foraging, though the blackberry pickers there are ferocious and I always seem to arrive too late. But there are some plum trees too, and I swear one year I found a damson though I've never managed to get back to it since. </div><div><br></div><div>I think there are also groups running in Highgate Wood and Queens Wood? At any rate they do seasonal plant activities - and there is wild garlic around (again earlier in the year) though they probably don't encourage foraging as it's ancient woodland.</div><div><br></div><div>There are (ornamental?) crab apples as well as rowans in Corbyn St and Thorpedale Rd. Every year I look at them and think about making jelly, but it never happens.</div><div><br></div><div>Good luck with it!</div>
  • Haringey issue permits for foraging. They are good value only £15 per season. Probably worth getting just to be on the safe side - no point in risking a penalty charge
  • Thank you all, I'm looking to learn about foraging so will join a group. I'll be in contact next year about the tree as I'd really like to make elderflower cordial- again thank you!
  • Hello Hanley. Nice to meet another road. <br>
  • I'd never heard that, @dion - how does one get a permit? I've just Googled, but couldn't find any info. Does it depend on what one is foraging, or where one is foraging it from?
  • No I've not heard of it either or seen any signs saying a permit is needed.   <div><br></div><div>I do quite a lot of foraging, partly because I'm out everyday walking my dogs anyway.   Sometimes I see what the dogs like eating and give that a go.  They really like young beech leaves and goose grass.   I only find goose grass edible if I mix it with a few nettle tops, ransoms, dandelions and fry it with some garlic and chilli.    But I also pick borage leaves and flowers, pig nuts, horse radish, clover flowers, chestnuts, apples, crab apples and blackberries, hawthorn berries, rose hips.<div><br></div><div>I've noticed that Haringey have started planting quite a few fruit trees.   There's little orchard been planted at the Grove at Ally Pally.  There are loads of raspberries in Coldfall Wood.    The marshes are good for blackberries, because there are so many of them.  There are also some fruit trees along the New River.   Fungi walks are organised in the autumn in Coldfall Wood.</div><div><br></div><div>I think the best way of foraging is to start walking often and see what's out there and go with a book like 'Food for Free'.   I never pick much though, just enough for a salad generally.   A lot of foraged foods take a lot of messing about with anyway. The way people go out collecting elderflowers in bin bags I find disconcerting.</div></div>
  • Sorry was just joking! No permits needed - go crazy!
  • Damson trees on Lancaster Road and Parkland Walk are full of ripe fruit!