Gyms

Right. It's finally happened. After years of drinking and eating as much as I like while still remaining svelte, my metabolism has finally broken. I've developed a distinct paunch, which on an otherwise skinny guy is a Bad Thing. I resemble a see-saw.<div><br></div><div>Obviously I'm, not actually going to cut down on any excesses. I'm going to be doing a bit of outdoor running, but that's not going to cut it. <span style="font-size: 10pt;">So the gym it is then. </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I've had a look online at PureGym on Isledon Rd, and PremierGym on Clifton Terrace also looks like an option. Can anyone advise me on pros and cons?</span></div>

Comments

• pure gym is very cheap but it is very busy and hard to use the equipment <div><br></div><div>premier gym ( i am am member there) is slightly more expensive and is not open 24 hours. It is much more quieter and a nicer environment. </div><div><br></div><div>If you are going to run try and do it outside as it is better for your knees than running on a hard treadmill. It is much more enjoyable as you get to see things rather than staring at a tv screen or wall</div>
  • <p>check out how many beers you can have which will not add weight by cycling</p>
  • Cycling also gives you time to plot your day and you get less winter coilds by not travelling on public transport
  • I second the cycling option. Plus: You probably don't need to eat so much as you probably do. You can easily get used to less so long as you maintain a healthy mix and mainly keep up the carbs and proteins to compensate when you do work out. Walk everywhere you can including up stairs and escalators. Obviously drink less, but maybe try a 5:2 - lay off two nights a week (or the other way round, five nights abstinence and throw down whatever you want the other two). You will feel a zillion times better and more energised.
  • Many thanks to sutent for the helpful response to my question. Yawn at the rest of your for your lifestyle advice. There will be no cycling, because that would restrict my drinking, and there will be no reduction in drinking as this may lead to cycling.
  • Drinking never stopped me cycling.
  • I know of someone who broke their leg after being hit by a drunken cyclist who then went to prison.
  • I did use to find that I would get home remarkably fast when drunk cycling.
  • The closest I came to actually coming off was when trying to overtake another cyclist on the infamous 'death bend' at the end of Gillespie Road near Emirates.
  • Alas, as per numerous exposes including Jacques Peretti's <i>The Men who made us Thin</i>, exercise isn't all that good at helping one lose weight - although it's far more healthy to be tubby and active than skinny and inactive. 
  • I cycled home for part of the way behind our MD, owner of a well known small chain of bookshops. He was drunk as a Lord but twice as nippy on the old wheels as I.
  • edited August 2015
    Extra points to Miss Annie for use of 'drunk as a lord'.
  • Alternatively, think about mixing things up a bit.  If you get a short barbell for home use - 4ft or so - and a few plates, you can do squats, lunges, Romanian deadlifts, bent-over rows, etc for a brief and intense full body workout without leaving the house.  Weightlifting, particularly for the big muscle groups, seems to be the best way to retain muscle mass and bone density as you age.  Keep running in the park but add in some interval training (blobbing around at a gentle pace doesn't do you as much good as you reckon), and look after your core by doing yoga or pilates.  There are classes run by Liv Pilates at the Atom Gallery, for example.  Keep the motivation up by using the money you save on the gym membership to do an occasional 1-2-1 training or small group session at Morefit...  There often seem to be deals available (free sessions even), so why not try a few things out and see what you like.<div><br></div><div>I've been very spoiled for last two months as a member of one of the YMCA gyms in Toronto - pool, spin room, several massive gyms, squash courts, basketball court, loads of resistance equipment, free weights, indoor running track, classes all day, every day - and day care/holiday camps for kids.  Cost per month?  £30.  </div>
  • That sounds like torture
  • edited August 2015
    There's the outdoor gym equipment in the park...
  • Vetski has a point. Sorry for propagandising about cycling, but it's the second best decision I've made in London - the first being moving here.
  • FitSpace just around the corner from Holloway Rd Tube on Hornsey Street is £19.99 per month and no contract! 
  • Hi there We don't have memberships HIIT classes are £5 Small Group PT £15 You want results you have to be consistent, have the right intensity and have accountability. If you lose any if those 3 rules you're unlikely to get great result. Once signed up at MoreFit you'll have access to our MoreFit Guide which will give you all the tools needed to get you in the best shape possible. Included in the guide will be all the information on your: Personal 3 HR min training plan. Personal calorie targets. Personal macro nutrition targets. Personal water targets. The MoreFit shopping list. Meal ideas for you to think about. Info on sleep, stress, supplements, alcohol, junk food and lifestyle. It's packed with all the tools to get you to your goals in the shortest amount of time. Come in for a free session, book online. Let us know if you have any questions