Street Burger & Burrito - Phase 2

12346»

Comments

• Thanks for the kind words all. Things have definitely improved but there is still work to do. I won't stop until this place is the go to place for great food, beer, cocktails, service and so on... Remember I started with zero support, it's just me, no corporate or company help. So keep it coming!! Ps we are now on Deliveroo and have a website. Soon installing a welcoming awning out front, pulling the neon inside and fitting comfy fixed seating. www.streetn4.co.uk Record figures last week, we may even be able to afford to stay at this rate :-)
  • I went on Friday night and thought it was great. Got there at around 10p.m. and it was still busy which is obviously a good sign. Excellent chilli burger and fries and had a couple of good beers. My other half had a chicken burrito which she said was v good. Also spoke to Tony at the end of the meal - great guy who is serving up excellent food for us locals. He is clearly passionate about it! Really great to hear the place is on an upwards trajectory - I think the comfy fixed seating will also add to the interior. Great work!  
  • i've become something approaching a regular here - genuinely think the burritos are great, the lunch deal is ridiculously good value and the chips are like the best version of mcdonalds fries ever.  it's a dangerous place to have on my doorstep.<div><br></div><div>HOWEVER ( :( ) it has to be said the service can be a bit patchy at times - we were left waiting for a simple takeaway order (burrito + hot dog + chips) for nearly 40 minutes the other night, despite the fact that the restaurant was half empty and we'd not been given any indication that it was going to take so long.  of course, other times i've been out of there within minutes, so thems the breaks i guess.</div><div><br></div><div>dem fries doe...</div>
  • Hi SG people,<br><br>I'm from a fair bit down the road (Tufnell Park area) but I thought I'd chime in re: Street Burger and Burrito. <br>Saw them today on Deliveroo and was considering ordering from them so I researched them a bit and stumbled upon this post. This is me reporting back.<br><br>I ordered a beef burrito. It arrived in a VERY timely fashion, was quite good and absolutely huge! Very tasty salsa, juicy beans, fresh guacamole. So big I couldn't finish it, and I was enjoying it, so it's not through lack of motivation. <br>Two minor suggestions:<br>- The salsa is cold, which is normal for a burrito, but because it spent some time in a delivery trunk it arrived a touch too cool. Wonder if there's a way around that?<br>- I'd love to see a steak offering that's not pulled beef. I like pulled beef but I love good rare steak. Of course that's not even a complaint, more like, if it were to appear on the menu, I would probably order it at least once a week.<br><br>And voila. Otherwise it was really nice lunch food. <br>Also I read above that Deliveroo charges 25% of whatever we pay - that's shameful, imo. If you decide to open your own delivery service I will def. rather use that. <br><br>So there, glad to see that somewhere in North London there are brave people opening tasty indie restaurants. If I feel like going for a longish walk one of these days, I might drop by in person and see what that infamous decoration everyone is talking about is like ;)<br><br>
  • edited November 2015
    I had a good burger and fries yesterday. Left satisfied and stuffed. Agreed that it's excellent value.  Went back today for the churros which I was too full for.  Absolutely delicious once I'd scraped away the excess cinnamon sugar which had gathered in the creases. <br>
  • @Edhie - If you like a good steak, you might be interested in Season Kitchen's CHEAPSTEAK Tuesdays<div><br></div><div>Info here > http://www.seasonkitchen.co.uk/</div>;
  • I thought we had an unspoken rule not to mention CHEAPSTEAK to people outside of Stroud Green.
  • Went to N4 Street last night, food and ambience perfectly good, but couldn't believe the price of a beer - works out at an eye-watering £7.58 a pint, is that normal or am I just old-fashioned? Pulled pork very tender and toothsome but is it supposed to be that vinegary? Decor OK but nothing special. Will probs be back in a week or two for a burritos, will pre-load and stick to tap water.
  • Yep, that's fairly normal for craft beers in cans. Even buying Gamma Ray direct from Beavertown Brewery would work out close to £5 per pint.<div><br></div><div>That's why the sooner N4 can get the stuff in on draught the better :-)</div>
  • JD Wetherspoon have a deal with all the major Brewers in the UK. They take large quantities of beer that's close to going off, pay a heavily discounted rate to the Brewer that doesn't want it to go bad and make them no money at all, and then they distribute it quickly around their sites for consumption.... This is how JD has made his money, and I tip my hat to him. The problem with this however, is that people look at the price he charges per pint and then ask themselves why, without knowing the info above, others can't charge the same price and why they are 'greedy'... which is simply not the case. JD very probably makes more money on a £3.50 pint than I would by charging £4.50 for the same product due to the buying price. We use local small Brewers, small batches of tasty, non mass produced generic beer that doesn't continue to make old money richer and facilitate their long golfing holidays in the sun. We use cans because we have limited fridge space and they can be double stacked and we use cans because they are very cool. Sadly canning machines are £55,000 so Brewers charge retailers a fair whack for them. I will be getting draught in within two weeks as previously stated, so there will be a value option very soon. It won't be cheap fosters or Stella mind.. Being an ex craft London Brewer myself I prefer quality to generic. The staff, chefs and I have just this minute cooked off and tasted the same batch of pulled pork you had last night and can't under any circumstances taste anything even nearly acidic, let alone vinegary. So I simply can't comment because there is nothing to say. In regards to the slow take-away comment.... PRE-ORDER!!!! We are now the areas highest grossing Deliveroo outlet so even if the restaurant was only half 'full' the kitchen can still be slammed with orders and we work on a strictly first come first served rule... Sit-in, take-away and delivery all join a queue. And producing good quality food can't be rushed, if it was you'd be on here saying the food is awful and I'd be crying like a little girl. Call us up on 020 7502 7741 and let us know what time you're coming. Beat the queue and laugh at those waiting in line on your way out.
  • <p>We got takeaway tonight. I telephoned just before  got on the tube at Green Park and picked my order up on the way home from the tube. Winner!</p><p>Very nice it was too.</p>
  • @aj2503  Another lovely post that shows your transparency concerning the way you run your business.  You deserve the success you seem to be having and hopefully will have for the future.
  • Popped in for dinner on Sat - my burger-pro partner rates the revised burger as 'good' (previously 'ok')! But my God my burrito was huge. I only ate half on site - the rest came home and was yesterday's late lunch!
  • On reflection might have been wrong about the term 'vinegary' - I didn't mean that in a negative way. I liked it. Quite strong-tasting, very pleasant actually, perhaps even a little sweet, but not at all astringent. Is there a middle eastern spice or herb you put in this?
  • Thank you Kreuzkav, kind words. Vetski.. The burger is only 'good' and the reason is that Godfreys hand make our patties to one of their recipes and God love them they are a bit old school in their recipes. We will soon be going over there for a day with them to play with ideas and sprinkle some magic dust over the recipe book that's probably been in there since the old boy bought the place. Expect 'good' to become 'very good' soon. I did try and work with the same supplier as 'Honest Burger' as that's my favourite pattie on the market at the moment but they said they wouldn't work with me... Understandable really, why would they risk a good thing...? Krappy it's slow cooked with garlic and cloves, then marinated with thyme, bay leaves and real orange juice.... Just like the Mexicans do it. Perhaps your palette picked that up, it's fully reduced and most can't really tell but if you could I'd applaud you. Thanks all for the continued support. A second site is being talked about and we have had a lot of interest from potential investors.
  • Hmmmm, love Honest Burger.  Great news on a potential second site :-)
  • 'Good' from this particular (exceptionally pernickety) burger aficionado is high praise indeed! But let us know when you've played with Godfrey's & we'll come back for another go :)
  • My two cents on the nachos--the cheese doesn't quite work, since when it cools it solidifies the top layer of nachos into one  big piece that's harder to eat. Maybe shredded cheese or queso blanco would work better? Also a bit difficult to eat from the deep dish--I'm used to eating them from a plate, so when you get to the bottom layer you haven't already eaten up all the toppings. :) Very tasty, though! And burgers and dogs excellent as always, meat and vegetarian alike.
  • <p>Tried it yesterday and thought the food was pretty good  and tasty and reasonably priced.</p><p>Not sure about the broken upside down bench lying on the floor just inside  entrance and some attention needs to be given to the  keeping the glass on the door clean. </p><p>Quite liked Dandy table tops.</p>
  • Just want to point out that Beavertown beer is 3.75 a pint from their brewery. That is v.cheap for craft beer, mind!