[...]

Comments

• <p>Just north of £2k, depends whether you have a power flush to get all the crap out of the old sytem (couple hundred £).</p><p> </p><p>If you don't have thermostats on the radiators they have to be fitted by law to get the council certificate of compliance (provided by the plumber)</p><p>The cost wil also be influenced by how  big the property and size of boiler.</p><p> </p><p>Worth doing at you old one wil be costing you and the new one will be efficient </p>
  • edited December 2015
    If you want a plumber/heating engineer Ben Hume-Wright is terrific. He replaced our boiler although I can't remember the cost. We were really happy with his work (and he's a jolly nice, decent chap). His colleague helped us out the last time we needed plumbing work, and he was also good. I imagine he'd be able to give you a ball-park quote very easily. <br><br>I would think that NOT doing a power flush when installing a new boiler is very short-sighted, unless it's absolutely unaffordable. <br>
  • Ben did our boiler which also included getting rid of Hot Water tank, cold water tank, various pumps etc. as well as fitting thermostats on radiators.<div><br></div><div>We have a 2 bedroom flat.  Cost was around £3k.  Boiler itself was £900</div>
  • Contact the council (if you're Islington), they did our privately rented flat for nowt. New boiler and five radiators, all for nothing. They have an Eco scheme that covers it and they had surplus after they had done all their social housing so were doing privately owned and rented properties.
  • 10 years is barely middle-aged for a boiler, isn't it?
  • edited December 2017
  • interesting that Islington are therefore giving money to private landlords to upgrade their central heating<div><br></div><div>i thought we were in austerity and all that </div>
  • edited December 2015
    Eco warriors innit. Although they aren't handing over money. All done through Breyer Group, the contractors that maintain Islington's social housing. It's a set environmentally friendly heating system, no choices on what you have. It's efficient and I've seen a definite drop on energy bills. We only have heating on from mid November and only on days when it is actually cold, it's not been on this month at all.
  • @verga, if they ring-fenced money for it but didn't spend it, they'd lose that sum from subsequent years' budgets. So better to find a way to use it that fits with the original purpose.
  • N4 gas highly recommended
  • edited December 2015
    I have an old fashioned back boiler that has had to have a few parts replaced twice over the last ten years.  Combi-boilers seem to break down more from what I know.  The downside of the back boiler is you have to heat up water, even in summer.  More expensive.  So I have used the central heating even in this mild November and early December as it's already heating the water.  But I tend to  do everything i.e. bath/shower, washing up, and a bit of heating in the evening.
  • Haven't been on here in a long time, but I just wanted to say that stroudgreen.org recommendations are still bloody useful.<div><br></div><div>Although it was only a small job (a stubborn hot water tap) Ben Hume Wright found time in his busy schedule to come round and fix it. He took the time to explain to me (a DIY dunce) how my hot water system works. Helpful, efficient and very reasonably priced! He even sent me a follow up e-mail to check everything was fine. What's not to like!  </div>