Clifton terrace restaurant for sale

Hi all. I have a question... If I bought the unit next to mine, what would you like to see? My cottage cafe is for sale. I was thinking it would be a great pizza place. I have a friend who has an Oak Fire Pizza place in Ireland and is looking to expand. Failing that I thought a curry house similar to Dishoom. Anyone have any thoughts? Bar/cocktail bar can't happen due to council so it would have to be food with beer & wine.

Comments

• I think a curry place would be brilliant. Since Mezabahn left last year you can't get an authentic curry in N4. I have to walk up to Koyla on Seven Sisters road fort that. I have not tried Dishroom so not sure what it is like.The other curry houses sell poorly made curries which are put together on order rather than cooked properly.<div><br></div><div>I think we are quite saturated with pizza places. </div>
  • edited January 2016
  • Two things missing from Stroud Green's culinary empire - 1) a decent curry-house that isn't vegetarian, 2) a decent Chinese of any sort.<div><br></div><div>Sutent is quite right about Pizza saturation, though to be fair you might capture a partly different market down by the station.</div><div><br></div><div>Dishoom is fantastic.</div>
  • <h6>Bacon Naan Roll</h6><p>The Ginger Pig’s smoked streaky bacon is dry-cured for five days with rock salt and Demerara sugar then cold-smoked over oak chips. A Dishoom signature dish, and deserving of all its accolades. £<strong>5.50</strong></p><p><strong></strong> </p><p><strong>Sounds good !</strong></p>
  • I think that location is a losing proposition, given the very small frontage and lack of light, especially for a restaurant. Haven't you got enough on your plate!?<br>
  • Asian food would be great rather than a typical curry house. Dishoom would be a good model to follow though I like the idea around southeast Asian food. Having said that, a Franco Manca style pizza place would be great.
  • Although a bar could be an option if it weren't for the council, I think the only thing that could work there is an established name to attract people.  The frontage is too small to make it attractive IMO and with the coming Wells Terrace closure which I suspect will happen this year I think it's an opportunity to be avoided.<div><br></div><div>SOunds like things have improved for you which is great news</div>
  • Now @NorthNineteen mentions it, a companion bar to N4Street could be perfect. The council have resisted changes from retail to bars/restaurants on Wells Terrace, but not on Clifton Terrace. And anyway, the shift from café to bar isn't as large.<div><br></div><div>That little premises could make a great cocktail bar.</div>
  • The Dishoom Bacon Naan Roll is seriously good!<br>
  • edited January 2016
    I don't really get why the council doesn't approve any bar /cocktail project...<br>It's exactly what we need around the station.<br><br>That said, a good thai restaurant or a ramen place like "bone daddies" in soho could be nice.<cite><b><br><br></b></cite>Actually, after thinking about it, an Asian Grocery could really fit well in that place.<br>I don't see any in Finsbury Park apart from the small One on Hornsey road.<br>Not sure how complicated it would to switch from restaurant to shop though...<br><br>
  • I can imagine that a cocktail/late opening bar gets objected because of the residents living local and the noise that it would bring for people late at night. Would love a cocktail bar though.<div><br></div><div>We do not need anymore pizza places in stored green!</div><div><br></div><div>Chinese or indian tapas would be brilliant. Burgers are available everywhere also.</div><div><br></div><div>I wonder if the appeal of stroud green has gone weak. The station development seems slow and most of the shops now on the high road (tote) are opened up and then never open! or shut and re-opened under a different brand. With the way the station was being developed I had assumed bigger names would have opened up and being interested. The fact that a charity shop is opening opposite the worlds end says a lot.</div><div><br></div><div>Chicken shop just opened in crouch end - I would have assumed stroud green gaining more attraction with its 'facelift' yet it opened up in couch end.</div><div><br></div><div>Irvin crouch end opposite the queens is fantastic - small recommendation. also the new 'rub' which also seems empty was very good for food last week!</div>
  • I notice that Sunshine Café is being renovated and reopened as 'Carmel's Cafe'.
  • @ Soon Whereabouts on Hornsey Road is the Asian grocery you refer to?
  • <p>I love StreetN4 and Tony is a darling.</p><p>'the only thing that could work there is an established name to attract people' - McDonalds? Joking, but there isn't one anywhere near and I can't imagine that they wouldn't be interested in finding a premises in N4.</p>
  • Mezzbaan (cheap curry and great somosas)  would be a welcome addition but they're life was killed on lower SGR.  I miss it.
  • @Soon do you mean the one near the corner of Hornsey Road and Seven Sisters?
  • @therattle is right - it's a tricky site. Hard to know what would work there when some of the Clifton Terrace businesses that seemed like safe bets are struggling.<div><br></div><div>A bar would be ideal - nothing too loud or open until the early hours - but it sounds like that's not an option. It's a shame because a quirky little cocktail bar would draw more people off the beaten track (of SGR) and help support the businesses on Clifton Terrace and Fonthill Road.</div><div><br></div><div>I'd love to see a great Thai, Sichuan, or Indian street food joint in the area, but again they'd probably do better on SGR than tucked away in a site like that. I'd definitely use an Asian or 'world' grocery.</div><div><br></div><div>Still laughing at the idea that Mezbaan was 'killed' off!<br><div><br></div><div>NO MORE PIZZA.</div></div>
  • @TheMimsy<;br>Yes, I was talking about Hua Run at the corner of seven sisters rd and Hornsey rd.<br>122 Seven Sisters Road, N7 6AE<br><br>It is a decent shop but it would be nice to get one closer to the station.<br><br>Let's open a Japan Center Branch in Finsbury Park!!!<br>
  • There must be ways around the licensing to be able to just serve drinks - for instance you can go into Park Theatre or Exeter St Bakering and just have a beer or wine.  Does N4Street or Wing Zone have a stipulation you can't serve drinks without food?<br>
  • <p>Elephant Hedge</p><p> </p><p>Chicken shop just opened in crouch end </p><p> </p><p>Is that the one which  replaced the  KFC that has been there for ages in what was a bank building ?</p>
  • @Ali, yes. I've eaten there - wasn't all that wowed by most of their offering, but the apple pie was absolutely superb.
  • I wish it was still KFC. It was the best one for miles.
  • I went to dishoom last night after I read the discussion here. Some of the best Indian food I have tasted and really good value. If we get a similar one in the area, it will certainly be a worthy replacement for Mezabaan. The kings cross restaurant is a beautiful building
  • Isn't a stunning place? Genius design.
  • The place on blackstock road that just sells naans. Great simple idea.
  • Godfrey's butchers outlet? A sausage shack?? Max's second branch??
  • edited January 2016
    Dishoom:<div><br></div><div>Shoreditch</div><div>Carnaby</div><div>Kings Cross</div><div>Covent Garden</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Teeny tiny spot on Wells Terrace, Finsbury Park - the obvious next step</span></div>
  • @Dion I think he meant a Dishoom type place rather than an actual franchise 
  • I am sorry My Cottage is closing down... I had some nice Lebanese flat breads in there and the staff were friendly.