Comments

• Not a huge fan of his music but I appreciate that he had a huge cultural impact. A good life, well lived.
  • Andy! Hope all's marvellous with you.
  • edited January 2016
    <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">The new Picturehouse in Crouch End - which incidentally is now my favourite cinema by a country mile - are hosting charity screenings of Labyrinth at the weekend, cosplay encouraged. Bless them.</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">
  • I went to the Picturehouse last week. Was very impressed with the place. Pricey but super nice. 
  • It's the perfect mid-point between tiny-but-excessively-pricey licenced joints like the Electric Cinema in Shoreditch and your standard multiplex. Serious cinemagoers, no noisy little shits, wide choice of booze including craft beers, incredibly comfy chairs with tilting backs, stacks of leg-space, beautiful screen and sound-system. The upstairs bar is great - like the Park theatre bar but bigger and better.<div><br></div><div>I fear the Arthouse is doomed, though.</div>
  • The busker was doing 'The Man who Sold the World' outside Tesco on repeat this evening.  I forgave him for it.  A light went out in my life on Monday.  Such a part of my early development.  Culturally as well as musically.  Burroughs, cut-up method, androgyny, 70s German kosmiche music like Neu, Can.., Berlin...So much more..  
  • I hope the Arthouse survives...<div>Ironic that CE went from 0 cinema to 2.</div><div><br></div><div>My experience at the PH was very good, only marred by the extremely rude woman who butted in while I was buying my ticket as her "Skinny latte was too cold" and she demanded another one, pronto...</div><div><br></div><div>First World Problem...</div><div><br></div><div>Big DB fan here, totally gutted. I always thought he was eternal...</div>
  • <p>I hadn't realised they were such a big chain, I thought Piccadilly and Crouch End were the only ones. They are partially funded by Cineworld. Another Harris & Hoole/Tesco style collaboration?</p><p><a href="http://corporate.picturehouses.co.uk/company-profile/">http://corporate.picturehouses.co.uk/company-profile/</a></p>;
  • I think it was an indie that got bought out and expanded.
  • They have a few in South London which I used to visit when my missus lived in Peckham. I was thrilled to hear they were opening one up here.
  • So wither the cramped, uncomfortable Arthouse? Withering?
  • <span style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16.9px; color: rgb(51, 0, 51);">Picturehouse Cinemas and Picturehouse Entertainment continue to go from strength to strength following new investment from <span style="font-weight: bold;">Cineworld </span>in 2012, with plans to open new cinemas and release a number of theatrical titles in 2015 and beyond</span><br>
  • Does that mean we get a arthouse cinema when cineworld build at the station?
  • Tom at Art House owns the building and lives in Crouch End so is a truly independent business who has sunk his heart into doing this. I hope it does not wither.
  • They're going to have to focus on a more niche product I think. Documentaries, foreign films and so on.
  • edited December 2017
  • Clarification: I like ArtHouse a lot and I have not yet visited Picturehouse.  Can't see a future for two cinemas next door to each other and I suppose PH has more attractive product and better funding.   Shame.  Just asking.   
  • edited January 2016
    @ miss annie<div><br></div><div>I hope too, that the Arthouse survives.  I really admire the manager for setting up a truly independent venture.  I will continue to go there as often as I can.</div><div><br></div>
  • @andy: Great to see you posting! Hope all is excellent and thanks for that quality post. It's now five days after the event and I'm still obsessing - I do feel out of date!
  • I like the Arthouse, I think there are enough people in Crouch End/Muswell HIll that will support it as it is proper independent.<br><br>Arthouse had the director and screen writer from Danish Girl doing a Q&A last night' quite impressive!<br><br>Picturehouse is excellent too.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • thanks @missannie @marquis. all really good here. <div>nice to see the old place still ticking along, too.</div>
  • It might help the Arthouse if they tried to live up to their name a little more, rather than showing Spectre, Star Wars et al like everywhere else. If I want to see those, I'll go to somewhere with a bigger screen - the Arthouse should be for stuff like Calvary (which I saw there and loved).
  • Picture house have stolen a march here by having vintage Sundays (or suchlike - forget the exact title). I haven't been to any yet but the idea of an old film noir followed by Sunday lunch at the Earl Haigh is quite appealing.
  • I'm with ADGS on this - Arthouse needs to focus on more niche films. It's always going to be out-competed on the blockbusters.
  • @miss annie and @verga<;div><br></div><div>There's no collaboration involved it's  straight forward corporateering. <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Picturehouse are in fact owned by Cineworld who bought a majority stake in PH to add another </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">brand - i.e Cineworld are a pile 'em high, ell cheap type operator not likely to get planning permission </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">or a screen in CE or Hampstead etc.  PH are cuddly middle class, coffee & carrot cake and less price sensitive brand. Cineworld use them to access high streets that might otherwise be denied.  CW and PH cinemas are markedly different environments.  </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">There are issues in both re. terms and minimum wage etc. and not long after CW buy-in there was a Living Wage campaign by staff at The Ritzy in </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Brixton, a PH venue,  luckily they were successful.</span></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • So exactly like the Harris & Hoole/Tesco deal then.
  • Similar but not exactly the same,<div><br></div><div>I think Tesco pretty much <a href="http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/aug/08/tesco-coffee-shops-harris-hoole">seeded Harris & Hoole</a> with a half-stake whereas Picturehouse was already an established indie chain that then expanded once bought out.</div>