Old Maps

13»

Comments

• fascinating. you can also see all the housing that was in place on woodstock and ennis road before they realised they needed a school, knocked the houses down and put Stroud Green Primary there. All the playground drainage problems are as a result of the old house foundations the school was built on.
  • Is that so! Fascinating.<div>One thing I hadn't noticed before is how Sparsholt Road used to connect to Grenville Road before a particularly inept bit of post-war planning.</div>
  • That's a wonderfully detailed map. <div><br></div><div>Shows that the Hopsmiths / Noble was once a Post Office.</div><div><br></div><div>Would love to have seen what some of those big houses up the top of Crouch Hill / Ferme Park Road looked like Womersley House, Holland House, Crouch Hill House.</div><div><br></div><div>Also looked like the Holly Park estate had some big houses too.</div><div><br></div>
  • @Arkady<;br><br>At least the post-war planning joined up Ormond Road and Hanley Road.<br><br>I love the transition of what is now Tesco from School to Dairy!<br><br>I'm too fascinated by the houses on Holly Park, such a constrast with what is there now, the big houses are still there in the 1950s map!<br><br>Btw, I treated myself to a book of all the Blitz Damage maps, would anyone be interested in seeing maps of Stroud Green? Not sure of the best place to host a high resolution image?<br>
  • @NorthNineteen - yeah, it rather looks like someone screwed up the end of Osborne Road way back then! The empty plot is in the wrong place.<div><br></div><div>I don't think there are any extant pictures of any of those old houses (except for Wormsley). I'd especially like to have seen what Holly Park looked like.</div><div><br></div><div>I'd love to see those bomb damage pictures. Photobucket's not bad for hosting.</div>
  • That Bomb Damage Maps book is excellent (even better with 50% staff discount!).
  • edited December 2017