Crisis shop opposite World's End

2»

Comments

• Sometimes it reminds me of my five year old daughter getting confused trying to work out why the owners of sweetshops don't just eat all their sweets 
  • <p>The problem is that businesses like Gadz have their leases terminated for redevelopment and then have to find new premises. Although there are empty premises, they probably are not as affordable as the premises they had before, so even if half the shops on Stroud Green Rd were empty it would not necessarily mean that they could move. The problem is not finding new premises, it's the cost of them. I'd rather see them used for something than empty. </p><p>How is that confuing?</p>
  • <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><font color="#555555" face="Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px;">"they probably are not as affordable as the premises they had before"  - </span></font></span><span style="color: rgb(85, 85, 85); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">yes they probably are</span><div><br></div><div>As far as I understand generally landlords with empty commercial premises want to let them out as they are normally liable for rates on empty properties - when they let them out the tenant is liable for rates.</div><div><br></div>
  • edited January 2016
    Oh, I didn't see your post about sweets before I posted otherwise I wouldn't have posted an answer. You don't understand my point, I have no idea what yours is and life's too short for bickering.
  • edited December 2017
  • Oh yes you are!<div><br></div><div>[this is what I mean - am confused again]</div>
  • What is happening at the Sparks  shop.  There is a planning permision notice ona lamp post on the other side of the road about putting  a balcony on the  back  within the rules of the conservation area
  • sparks shop up for sale 750k - is the back part of the bigger redevelopment of that stretch between there and sainsburys - by development i mean the residential bits on top
  • Ah, so the whicheverhomelesscharityshopitis, is going to have a cafe - so the person earlier in this thread was on the money
  • Open today. Reviews please!
  • Shop is great and busy. Coffee good.
  • When Ajani Jazz and Grill was open on Hornsey Road, Patrick said he would have loved to have opened on Stroud Green Road or moved to it, but he couldn't afford the rents.<div><br></div><div>At that time there were plenty of empty / changing hands units there and restaurants that have come and gone.</div><div><br></div><div>H would have pulled in loads more custom on Stroud Green Road but was priced out.</div>
  • I was wondering about Ajani the other day...where is Patrick and has he abandoned the whole idea?! I really miss the jazz club!
  • The whole point of rent is that you get what you pay for, footfall footfall footfall is the commercial equivalent of location location location.<div><br></div><div>Yes, he would have pulled in loads more custom, and would have made more money, and that is why the landlords charge more for SGR rather than Hornsey Road. </div><div><br></div><div>When a lot of costs are fixed, i.e. rent, rates and costs of keeping the place open for a set number of hours a day, then it makes more sense to pay more for a spot with higher footfall. This gives the fixed portion of costs more of a chance of being covered each day, and therefore more for profit and staying in business. Furthermore, more customers surely begets a multiplier effect of having more people to tell their friends about what a great place it is, leading to more new customers and therefore potential greater number of regulars</div>
  • Does anyone know what happened to Ajani-man?
  • Been in a couple of times - the books stock seems like the worst stereotype of charity shop staples (not just Meyer and James, but the most extraneous book of either's bestselling series) and the wannabe funky vibe is very trying. If this is the future of the charity shop, can we please go back to the past ASAP?
  • edited January 2018
  • Agree entirely with ADGS.