Wireless Festival

Comments

• Signed Petition by Jacula. Hope all the bad press will pressure the Council into curbing these festivals at the park.
  • I quite like hearing the festival crowds sing and seeing all the kids swarm the place. It's like hearing the singing from the Emirates or seeing the Arsenal fan - reminds me that I'm lucky enough to live in a great city and not in a poxy little suburban town.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Arsenal fans. Not fan. 
  • Some of the videos of the disturbance are pretty disgusting, why do people think that they are entitled to see these things without paying for it.<br>
  • <p>Putting it in persepctive there  must have been about 50 gate crashers out of an attendance of 40,000 Of course it still should have not happen althought I don't know if it is the music choice or not. There was trouble aftre I think it was Stoned Roses but never  anything after say Bobbie Dylan</p>
  • Everyone was too stunned by Dylan's dire performance to get rowdy.
  • One way of putting it Arkady. Mind you, I can't seem to stop listening to Court and Spark. 
  • I hate it. They should ban it!! Bring back the Fleadh with real bands and musicians!! (Yeah I'm old)
  • edited July 2015
    I love festivals in general and music and love having people in the area. <div><br></div><div>I regularly attend festivals and i am not so proud of people who behave like that to be honest. A festival is not a place where you get stabbed or other interesting activities.</div><div><br></div><div>Let's see the status of Finsbury park once they finish cleaning :-).</div><div><br></div><div>The noise was absolutely bearable and the disruption of the transport wasn't bad at all, another type of festival would be much better :-DDD</div>
  • I agree with Fabruce.  Apart from the Friday last week, the noise wasn't bad.  The police helicopter was worse,  Finsbury Park, Victoria park, Hyde Park and others have a proud tradition of putting on these events.  However,  I think some of these events have become a bit too big and the military style the park is closed off is a disgrace.  The major commercial ones should be limited to a weekend or two (so say one Wireless) and perhaps a few smaller less commercial/community ones.  Other parks can have the rest.
  • Do we know how much the council got for allowing Wireless to happen? And is it worth inviting disruptive youth into our backyards? I have seen kids pull up to my street to park, learn that game day parking restrictions apply, take a piss on the wall of a house across from my house, and then drive off. I would also say there are far more than 50 gate crashers at the event as one of the other posts in here implied. It was like that credit card commercial on TV with Viking hoards and orcs rampaging.
  • It's not the noise that bothers me as much as them taking over at least 2/3 of the park with their horrible big green fences and trucks, etc. I use the park every morning for exercise, and local families use it every day in warm weather to take little ones for a runabout, etc. It's awful to deny us that, even for a few weeks. Especially if we don't get a significant chunk of the money they must pay to the council for using it. They could, for example be spending it on improving the drainage at the bottom (Green Lanes end) so that there isn't a permanent puddle there throughout the winter.
  • edited July 2015
    I think it's the way people are now.  Twenty years ago big festivals were put on without so much machismo.  Now they are military style affairs.  But I think joggers have the same attitude.  I remember walking through parks or along canals and joggers slowing down, changing lanes.  Now they plough through you and expect you to get out of the way.  A selfishness and lack of tolerance has crept into society.  I went up to Wireless to the gate near Oxford road to check it out before going on somewhere else the other week. The gate was closed.  Probably for good reason and crowd control purposes.  The jogger who seemed like a sweet middle-class person started to say fuck fuck ten times.  It is only a few times a year.  <div><br></div><div>However, the military style occupation of the Finsbury Park for council funds should stop.  Joggers should also stop running into people in military style drills.  I blame all these bootcamps.  </div>
  • The retards recording this because it's big and clever, innit? seem to have handed fantastic video evidence to the Police of criminal damage and various other offences. 
  • edited December 2017
  • edited March 2016
    I assume this gratuitous annual summer sell-off of the people's park is official Labour council policy, and therefore our councillors' hands are shackled.<div><br></div><div>But would a Lib Dem or Conservative council act any differently - whatever they may pretend? <span style="font-size: 10pt;">That's how the filthy business of local politics works.</span></div>
  • It says: 'Haringey Council have not published the income figures from Wireless Festival, organised by Festival Republic, and simply insist that it has to happen. But by their own figures all Finsbury Park events last year raised £755,000 and only £255,000 of that was used for the maintenance and running costs of the Park.'<div><br></div><div>Presumably the cost of which is massively pushed up anyway by festivals trashing the park.</div><div><br></div><div>(Says a hypocrite who went to see Outkast, the Stone Roses and Arctic Monkeys round the corner from his house, but still thinks they need to rein this stuff in.)</div>
  • <span style="color: rgb(43, 43, 43); font-family: Lato, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">‘commercially sensitive’ also, of course, the excuse developers use to weasel out of their feeble commitments on affordable housing &c. The way it's treated as a new equivalent of the Official Secrets Act is a disgrace. </span>
  • Welcome to the Peoples' republic of Haringey. A change of administration is long, long overdue (in fact, there's never been one in the borough's entire history).
  • 1968-71 was Conservative control, according to a very quick Google.
  • ADGS  have you tried a Freedom of Information request
  • You won't get the information from a FOI request to Haringey if they deem it 'commercially sensitive'. But you could then appeal to the Information Commissioner. Often works, apparently. Anyone want to give it a go?
  • Don't forget there's the drum and bass festival in September too. I just saw the event invite on Facebook. Planning my city breaks away from London now.<br>
  • <p>From Friends of Finsbury Park Facebook page (yes, he is one of those Palins and is lovely).</p><p><br></p><p><em>Say No to Wireless in Finsbury Park: We're Going Live on Monday!</em></p><p>The Friends of Finsbury Park, are launching a legal challenge to stop Haringey Council staging Wireless Festival and similar major events in our park - one of London's most prized and historic green spaces.</p><p>After reviewing the relevant legislation it is our view that Haringey Council does not have the power to hold Wireless Festival.</p><p>Last year’s Wireless Festival, which was held over two summer weekends, attracted crowds of around 50,000 per day and closed off nearly a third of the park to the public for weeks. It caused massive disruption, damage, excessive noise, and antisocial behaviour. The fence of a local school playground had to be wrapped in protective plastic as festival goers were urinating through it while children were in school.</p><p>The outcome of this case could affect ALL London Parks as councils seek to sell off and privatise green spaces. The argument that huge commercial events such as Wireless Festival must take place in order to maintain a public space is deeply disturbing and cannot be allowed to happen.</p><p>In order to raise money, we are launching a crowd funding campaign on Monday 11th of April at 6am on www.crowdjustice.co.uk/case/save-finsbury-park/</p><p>We can't do this without you. Your support will save Finsbury Park today and for generations to come.</p><p>We will be in touch with you again when we go live Monday morning on www.crowdjustice.co.uk/case/save-finsbury-park/.</p><p>In the meantime, it’s vital as many people as possible know about this campaign, so please send this email to your friends and family and ask them to do the same!</p><p>Follow us on Twitter: <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/FinsParkFriends">@FinsParkFriends<;/a> & our Fundraising Platform: <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/CrowdJusticeUK">@CrowdJusticeUK<;/a> to get the latest news!</p><p>Many thanks,</p><p>Tom Palin</p><p>Chair The Friends of Finsbury Park</p>
  • edited December 2017
  • edited April 2016
    Whats the update on this? I've only just spotted the campaign saying NO to Wireless Festival in Finsbury Park. The council close station place road when Wireless Festival comes to town from around 9pm until around 01am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday - as a company we loose over £12,000 of trade because of this. We have tried working with the council to arrange a route to ensure that people can still reach our venue but the information is never relayed to the security teams on the ground (who seem to come from North England and have no idea of directions). The execution of the crowd exit every year has been appalling. I've witnessed people fainting, thirsty and packed in tight on the Stroud Green road and Seven Sisters road as they get ketteled around the Station Place island. I wonder whether there's any way we can raise a complaint along with your campaign regarding this giant corporate festival and the negative impact it has on the surrounding communities? <br><br>Kind regards<br><br>Hayley & the team<br><br>The Silver Bullet Event Manager<br>hayley@thesilverbullet.co.uk
  • edited December 2017