Pizza in the Area

MimsyMimsy Stroud Green
edited May 2016 in Reviews
Went to Gustavo's for a take-away. Best, plain Margarita in ages. Two to go - £10.00... and a movie in. Not bad for a tenner, at all. Anybody else been there? And what's happened to Porchetta... seems like its been abandoned.<br>

Comments

• Had pizza there a while ago.... Absolutely awesome. Wish them all the best
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">I really liked Fabrizio so definitely keen to try Gustavo's.</span></font><div><br></div><div>I've heard good things about the Pizza Bakers too. Apparently it has a garden out the back.<br><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">FYI, there's yet another pizzeria opening on Blackstock Rd next month with FREE pizza for the first week:</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">http://www.hot-dinners.com/Gastroblog/yard-sale-pizza-choose-finsbury-park-for-their-second-opening</span></font><br></div></div>;
  • Oh this is too good...but no one has mentioned the 'twin towers' of pizza yet.
  • edited May 2016
    @cityofsin What the hell?! We have SO much pizza already!! I feel bad for the pizza bakers especially, because they've only just set up and I have a feeling this place'll steal whatever custom they've built up....
  • MimsyMimsy Stroud Green
    ...never enough pizza! Let the competition sort the Sicilians from the boys... Better than having torely on Pizza Express, like years ago... Once they stopped the noci (gorgonzola, spinachi and walnuts) ... that was it for me...<br>
  • @south_to_north I know! Did they look around the area and think 'you know what this place needs? MORE PIZZA'<div><br></div><div>Also, I must be one of the few locals that doesn't understand the appeal of Pappagone. It's always rammed but eh.. I've had better pizza and there are tons of better places for pasta in N4.</div>
  • @cityofsin completely agree on pappagone
    C.o.S... spot on re: Pappagone.... (not very good)... but maybe that's why we need more places... to elbow out the mediocre for us <span data-dobid="hdw">connoisseurs!</span>
  • Has to be Saporita for me, nice pizza, always order extra anchovies, draft beer and some crazy conversation with the zebedee lady who runs it... simple pleasures and all that. Actually the calamari and courgette starter is flipping amazing as well.
  • It was a sad day when La Porchetta  stopped making gorgonzola and pear pizzzas
  • Never had pizza at saporita, but wasn't too impressed with what I had. Cream in carbonara is a big red flag for me, and no pecorino or Campari available either! Call me picky but I don't actually have much money to eat out and we have so many great places to go to that I figured it wasn't worth it (at last as far as the non-pizza fare goes). And don't get me started on Osteria tufo and incontro. The majority of italian cooking is frugal and affordable, and I'd love to see a place that tried to emulate that rather than charging 20 quid a main. Girasole do a pretty decent job but that's still very much a cafe.... The woman at la saporita was incredibly nice though it must be said.
  • I (genuinely) thought Saporita was fairly cheap, maybe the pasta is more expensive. I worked in Milan, it was cheap and very very nice food (maybe I went to the more neighbourhood places), not been elsewhere in Italy but it kind of messes up your radar when you come back and get served what tastes like an Iceland lasagne for 15 quid!
  • Oh it is fairly cheap, but so are other places that deliver a better experience and better food in my book. Bottom line is when you pay to go out, and feel you might as well have stayed at home it's not really worth it. Sounds really harsh but I came away thinking id rather have picked up some stuff from italian farmers..... Pizza is different though, because of the issue of oven temperatures and the like it's difficult to simulate at home....
  • Pappagone has a great chaotic, big pizzeria atmosphere but the pizza isn't the best.<div><br></div><div>Get the right pizza chef (who is normally there) and Porchetta's pizzas are still the best around for me but it's atmosphere is greatly fading and I'm there last menu revamp removed my wife's favourite pasta dish.</div><div><br></div><div>La Saporita has now become my favourite pizza all-rounder because of that. Good pizza, good atmosphere, good value, nice staff, and the rest of the food is good too. It's a cracking little restaurant.</div><div><br></div><div>For Italian food, I love Piccolo Diavolo. I enjoyed Gustavo's.</div><div><br></div><div>(South to North, I know you are a serious carbonara fiend and so holding it up to very high standards on that - also it does normally have Campari, my mum's always managed to get one there.)</div><div><br></div><div>Where is the Pizza Bakers?</div>
    bang on S to N - - pizza is that one thing that you just can't replicate at home.<br>
  • @papal when I went in they said they had stopped selling Campari because no one ordered it! Maybe they've bought some more... Pizza bakers is on blackstock road, where Leziz used to be. @mimsy then of course there are the things that you can make but can rarely be bothered! (Read stuffed pasta / gnocchi).
  • Why Pappagone is always packed: Because it's a fun! It's lively! PapaL is quite right, it's the atmosphere. Though we differ in opinion on the quality of the pizza, I think it's pretty good most of the time. Because if it wasn't, I don't think the place would be as crowded as it is.
  • Just remembered (from reading about the new pizza restaurant called Yard Sale) i ordered Pizza by the yard \ half yard once when on the roof of the fullback, think it was from Hana Maria.<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Definitely not all that though, shame as with a gimmick like that they could have done well. </span><br></div>
    Yeah, the vibe at Pappagone is ok... but they lay that Italian schtick on pretty thick.<br>
  • @PapaL Agree on Il Piccolo Diavolo: the food is excellent!
  • Liked Fabrizio, Pappagone OK, Pizza Bakers is very good (but expensive for what you get), but I love Franco Manca! Still good even though it is now becoming a chain. Sacro Coure in CE is a good too
  • edited December 2017
  • Exeter street bakery is good! Pizzas are very different. They're bakery style pizzas which means they have a very thick base, not really comparable with the others.... Drinks and atmosphere are good, plus it's always rammed for brunch (though I've never been then....)
  • Yep, John Jones pitch for the redevelopment was all about the community, art shows, workshops etc. The only people I know of that have managed to get in to have a look round are those connected with the team or local planning dept, in some way or those that were publicly and  vocally highly supportive of the project.
  • Whoop - I love a good pizza convo. Agree with most of what has been said here. Il Piccolo is really good for that authentic Italian food, pappagone is mediocre and overrated, Gustavo's was my favourite pizza place for a while until I had their signature pizza on their recommendation and it ruined it for me - who puts roast potatoes on a pizza??? Saporita has become my new favourite. - pizza are delicious, huge and cheap, and v friendly staff, Incontro has some great food, but very pricey for the area right now. Anyone rate Hana Maria or Forchetta? Haven't been to either of those yet
  • @maximus http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/potatoes-mozzarella-rosemary-thyme-and-tomato-pizza-topping/#1lyGBKyAXSbXEmXy.97 Jamie Oliver apparently..... Remembered this from yonks ago when I only just started to cook. Also if you haven't tried potato focaccia you should - it's bloody amazing
  • Ah, but at least Jamie's pizza has a tomato base. This was a white pizza.
  • Mmmmm.... Sounds even better. I love white pizzas.....
  • Yeah, do they still have art shows in the exhibition space at John Jones? I went to a bunch over the first few years, but I haven't seen anything advertised for a while. I wish the top floor would be converted into a bar, the views are phenomenal.
  • @arkady well..... At least until city north goes up....