Dream River Cafe under new management

Went past today, and looks like someone is completely refurbishing the place. <br>

Comments

• I had a cappuccino there last Thursday. Not very impressed, I'm afraid. Drink - so so. Earsplitting kitchen radio. Much the same as before.
  • Closed, yesterday. Undergoing major refurb. I hope they keep the armchairs. And turn the bloody radio off.
  • Official new name - "The Blue Owl". Looks funky from what I've seen so far. Feels like quite a bit of change is happening along this road leading into Spring time
  • Went past it today and it's open. I am curious...
  • Went in today.... Didn't really appeal to me, there are plenty of better cafes in the area and I probably won't be going in again to be honest.
  • Yeah pretty bog standard to be honest. An improvement on the tatty old dream river but somehow this doesn't quite hit the mark. I think it needs a better layout of furniture and some nice tempting cakes in the display chiller (it was pretty much empty last Sunday lunchtime...). I agree the are better cafes in the area, and for me it's hard to beat vagabond or boulangerie
  • edited April 2016
    I'm disappointed.  It seemed like a big-time facelift and a change of ownership, but.....very little.   All they've done is a paint job and some new light bulbs. Still no nice food in the cabinets, and everything else as before.<div><br></div><div>The new people seem quite pleasant and a lot more welcoming, but they have to have something more than that to show for it.   And they still don't allow dogs.  The only improvement I can see is that when you go in and sit down, someone comes over and asks what you want, instead of ignoring you - I sat there for an hour without being served under the previous regime.<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited April 2016
    Had a coffee, it was nice enough The place looks clean and welcoming, and the guy was very nice Limited choice, but surely early days? I'll give them a chance!
  • Beans on toast. Measly portion and cold. Wish I'd gone somewhere else.
  • Me and my girl friend have been the blue owl yesterday . And we tried their breakfast it was so good. Then we decided to go for lunch that was impressed, pasta they make it was out standing also I highly recommend their home made cakes delicious also. Lady who served us she was so kind. This is our favourite place now. If you can see the bossed do not forget to do chat with them they are so funny and good guys.
  • Do you enjoy working there?<br>
  • Sadosan mate go and look at beam cafe or coffee cake in crouch end then basically make the blue owl like that. Boulangerie and front room also shining examples
  • Nice place good vibe servis was so good but they need to improve them self for cofe making. I liked cakes and lunch offer 2courses £ 6.95 3courses £8.95 good value for what you get. I will go again
  • It's Venezia all over again! BEST LUNCH AND CAKES INNA AREA.
  • edited May 2016
    Food is cheaper than Beam and Haberdashery in Crouch End for example, but you get what you pay for. Portions were small, s<span style="font-size: 10pt;">ervice took way too long - boyfriend and I waited nearly half an hour for our food. When it came we were like,  what were we waiting for? My egg wasn't cooked properly on my eggs royale, accompanying salad was near browning. </span><div><br></div><div>Willing to (somewhat) give it the benefit of the doubt. Let's see in 6-12 months how they're doing.</div>
  • Great to see people have pulled up self-advertising.  Venezia got away with for a while. Funny but became tedious, as my posts were.   <div><br></div><div>What has happened to critical analysis of the area on this site.  It just seems like a site about food, restaurants...capitalism is great site.</div><div><br></div><div>Stroud Green is full of shit heads now.  Discuss? Middle class civil servants and media workers.  Boring fuckers. </div>
  • Feck, I'm a middle class civil servant - and pretty boring at that too. <span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">Sorry about that.</span><div><br></div><div>I happen to quite like the area so not sure what I would be critical of, I'd quite like a late night bar but Islington's draconian licensing puts pay to that.<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • I work for a bookshop, retail is in no way middle class (or well paid), I'm sure I'm quite boring sometimes too. I think it's interesting that someone who probably thinks of themselves as a class warrior is the only one who seems to think of people in class categories, the rest of us are over it.
  • <p><br></p><font color="#6a6a6a"><p><font color="#000000" face="Times New Roman" size="3"> <br></font></p><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"><font color="#000000"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'>The  Coal House café at Woodberry </span><span style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;"><font face="Calibri" size="3">Wetlands   is very nice.</font></span></font></p><p><font color="#000000" face="Times New Roman" size="3"> <br></font></p><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"><span style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;"><font face="Calibri"><font size="3"><font color="#000000">First time I have seen smashed Avo with feta on toast<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span></font></font><font color="#000000" size="3">in the UK.</font><span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"><font color="#000000" size="3">  </font></span><font color="#000000" size="3">It is</font><span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"><font color="#000000" size="3">  </font></span><font color="#000000" size="3">a great walk through the Park along the New River, around the wetlands and back. They have done some nice clever stuff as part of the Wetlands circular walk.</font></font></span></p><p><font color="#000000" face="Times New Roman" size="3"> <br></font></p></font><p><br></p>
  • Tried breakfast there this morning. Fairly standard fare, but good size portions and if anything food was too hot (wonder if they've improved since their early days given comment above?). Not as great food as some of the other options around, but prices lower and the big coffee is huge. Just right for early on a Sunday...!