looking for shop or small business unit/workshop

edited June 2016 in Local discussion
Hello. I'm looking into options for a local business and wondered if anyone can offer any help or advice please... 1. Does anyone know of any shops available now or in the future to rent on Stroud Green Road (or nearby such as near the theatre)? 2. I'm also looking for a small business unit or workshop in the area (doesn't have to be Stroud Green Road but anywhere in or near Stroud Green). I know of Belgravia Workshops on Marlborough Road, Ossian Mews behind Londis and Old Dairy Court on Crouch Hill but would love to know of any other little groups of small businesses or even individual units that might have something available to rent. Thank you

Comments

• Really suggest coming and having a walk round. If you're thinking of renting a shop you'd want to have a look at what's either side and have a chat to neighbours. Come at various times to check footfall too.
  • Thanks miss annie - you're right. I do know the area having lived here for 20 years - but am just curious to know if people know of anything that might be coming available or little pockets of workshops/units to rent that I haven't noticed before. Sometimes they can be hidden away. Thanks again.
  • Fairly sure there's a shop to rent opposite Petek, there's a new gift shop just opened along there too,
  • Would that be in the one which is now Atom Gallery? If so then I was interested in that but just found out it is going to become a Clapton Craft. But if not then I'll head down there and try and find out which shop that might be... Thanks again for your help.
  • Lots of empty shops on hornsey rd, though that isn't such an encouraging sign! But some businesses do seem to do ok there. (Hooray, I can finally write comments on the tablet!)
  • No, @hooofck not that one. There is at least one other between Atom and World's End I'm sure. Walked round to have a look at the new gift shop and the current show at Atom and clocked it then.
  • Thanks, I'll head down there and see what I can find out.
  • Looks like Furniture To Go is c losing as it has a closing down sale Quite close to the tapas place
  • Furniture to Go has been having a closing down sale for about a year!
  • There is an empty restaurant next to the Londis on Stapleton Hall Road. It used to be the Triangle. It's probably too big for what you're looking for but I hope someone makes use of it soon.
  • Thanks @trainspotter it's a great suggestion - would love something there but I know the guys who are going to be doing something cool food based with that space soon.
  • I know the place was being cleared out in the past week or so. Mr Londis came out of the shop and showed people in.
  • yeah, work is underway. don't want to say too much or steal their thunder but it's a couple of local guys and will be a great little restaurant. can't wait!
  • STEAL THEIR THUNDER
  • A branch of something small and good on SGR?
  • edited June 2016
    Not Stroudgreen though very close. There is a Chinese place which is now closed opposite WB Yeats and Image Dry Cleaner on Fonthill road. Don't know if this could be suitable for your business but it would be nice to see something opening there!
  • Try having a chat to Clever Mike on Hornsey Road - there might be space around there.
  • Thanks @conformable_kate yes, Hornsey Road is certainly much much cheaper than SGR so will keep an eye on it. And thanks to @Ali I've since found Furniture To Go is indeed up for let and that's a great suggestion. Thanks @Soon is that Wing Wah? That's a shame, I used to live opposite there in the 90s and they were always very friendly. And finally thank you @Mirandola I love bikes and I didn't know about Clever Mike but I'll drop by and ask him.
  • I have discovered that even if you don't need a shop front it can be cheaper to rent one in an unpromising location, such as Hornsey Rd, rather than an industrial unit which is a larger space that has been divided and there is a middleman making a big mark up. The terms of the lease may be longer and you may have to have some sort of retail presence to satisfy the council but the help with rates has just stopped unfortunately
  • When i had my office in Holborn (Camden Council) they used to give me a 50% reduction on the rates as it was my only premises, is that just Camden then, if they even still do it?
  • Furniture 2go seems to have gone.

Lease up on pss commercial
  • Well after their one year sale they hgave gone !