Pathetic crying dog in Albert Road

There is a dog newly arrived in Albert Road that makes a kind of terrible, pathetic low intermittent crying noise all day long. Has anyone else heard this? It started about a week ago. The poor animal seems to be kept in a back room, not outside, and it may only be heard by immediate neighbours and from the backs of houses in Lorne Road / Stroud Green Road. It's not very loud but a very strange noise, very persistent, like a repeated groan, and so pathetic and overwhelmingly sad that it actually makes me uncomfortable sitting in my garden. It makes me wonder if the animal is in distress or suffering from being kept too long indoors. And so, if there is anything to do about it. Does anybody know if the RSPCA or any other animal welfare group has the power to investigate? Of course, it may be a supremely happy animal with a sore throat, but it sure doesn't sound like into me. [Edit: I've changed 'howling' to 'crying' because it's a better description of this spooky sound.

Comments

• They absolutely do. Give them a call. Some dogs will bark or cry all day if they are left alone but better to be safe than sorry. Have you met the owner, do they work, are they out for long periods?
  • edited July 2016
    I suppose my point is, is it legal for a dog to be left alone all day to the extent that it barks and cries incessantly? Or is it just an accepted part of a dog's life. Normal for dogs, move on, nothing to see here. I'm not suggesting for a moment that the owner is beating or maltreating the beast - in fact they probably love it to bits and would be horrified to think it is distressed. Most likely they never hear its crying if they are out all day. But this definitely sounds like one very unhappy dog. (Oh, and I have no plans to go knocking on anyone's door. This sounds like one big dog.)
  • Vets recommend that you don't have a dog if you are at work all day. Some breeds are really incapable of being left alone for even a couple of hours.
  • edited December 2017
  • My friend in Brighton recently discovered a baby seagul on her balcony. She called various organisations who were not very helpful. One month later the seagul is still living on the balcony and my friend is feeding it. Irs not big enough to fly. She named him Steven (Steven Seagul)
  • Another approach is to complain about the noise to the Council. I received a complaint years ago about my dogs barking, not when I left them alone, but when a family of foxes moved into next door's garden, which were regularly fed by the neighbours. My dogs were bred to hunt foxes amongst another things, so it was't a good mix. It's quite a formal, slightly threatening letter and certainly encourages you to take prompt action. You're right the owners probably don't know it's crying for so long. You could put a note though the door. Sometimes I walk towards my house, and I can hear my dogs having a good old howl, sitting at the window, looking at a cat or dog on the street. If they were doing it all day, I'd like to know.
  • I'm not convinced that we live in the right environment to keep dogs to be honest. Most breeds (except toys) need more exercise and garden space than they can get around here. I reckon if you want to have anything other than a lap dog, move to the suburbs. It's only fair on your dog and your neighbours.
  • The crying dog has gone but replaced by howling humans (go figure). I wonder if there is an RSPCA for that?