Nando's gone! (Or not)

Any idea of what will replace it?

(Not what we would like to replace it - which is what these discussions always devolve into...)

Comments

• its a refurb not permanent closure apparently
  • And what about La Forchetta (?), on the opposite corner? It's been closed for some time - refurb, or what?
  • But.... They've taken down the sign :/
  • Wowzers, that would be the most shocking of all the closures - it's always packed out in there.
  • I'm sure a similar joint called serving pulled chick and craft beer can take its place. It will be full of middle class white people but serving the same chicken at twice the price. Stroud Green is on the rise.
  • It's closed for refurbishment, says so on their site.
  • We rarely agree Kreuzkav but that exact thing happened to KFC in Crouch End. It's called Gullible Chicken Shop now. If I were KFC I would refurb all my shops with uncomfortable old school chairs, wooden tables and a load of jam jars full of dandelions or tea lights. Save your old tin cans for cutlery & drinks, shove all the food on a slate or a wooden chopping board (saves on breakages, even if not very hygenic), replace all signage with chalkboards, couple of nice looking young folk in aprons to waft about looking bored and Bob's your uncle - thousands more in the till and I bet hardly anyone could tell the difference in the food.
  • @missannie All true. Seriously don't get that place. But.... Craft beer.

Mmmm..... Hops
  • There is a nandos league table. The UK has the most nandos in the world. When i lived in Malaysia in 2002 I was shocked to see one in KL. Nandos do give a generous 25% discount to NHS staff, Dominos give 50% for collection of pizza.
  • NHS discount on Nando's? REALLY looking forward to it reopening now!
  • Best thing about Chicken Shop is the apple pie. Truly excellent.
  • Can't believe Nandos has gone. Sad. So sad.
  • I'd like to love Nando's but afraid I don't quite. It's not quite cheap enough to be cheap and cheerful (I prefer Jai Krishna or the much lamented Mezbaahn for that) and it's not quite nice enough to be a treat like Season, especially with it being on that busy corner, so there isn't really a place in my life for it and I never go.
  • That place in CE charges something utterly ludicrous like £5 for chips or corn on the cob. I don't mind spending money on good food but I don't care for being taken for a fool. I haven't been there as a result.
  • Well Dirty Burger is OK, i have been to the one in Gospel Oak and i have to say it was quick, cheap and lovely... and sells draft beer. I did wonder how they would be when they rolled them out all over the place, they are part of the Soho House brand and i have to say anything they do does seem to work, there is a nice bar they have in Compton Street and Shoreditch House is cool, if a little plastic feeling after a while. Apparently all of the modern burger restaurants have an initial team that run the restaurant, they get it busy and then move on to the next one while the next lot who come in are paid a lot less. I can remember when Honest Burger was absolutely lovely, yet now i think the quality is rubbish.
  • Nandos is coming back. Signage is being replaced and the shopfront is being altered. They got planning consent from Haringey a few weeks ago. Should reopen mid-August (first Arsenal match)
  • That is good news, I can't say I am a huge fan but sometimes get a craving for chicken and chips, and where else to go?! We tried Wingzone and it was so UTTERLY disgusting (and cost £20 for 2 portions chicken and chips), that I wonder how it will get away with selling that chemical care in the uk. The sauces were so synthetic.
  • If I fancy chicken I go to granny's. No chips though, just rice and peas.
  • MimsyMimsy Stroud Green
    NHS staff? So, one set of rules for the 'anointed'...
  • @Pembe isn't there a nando's clone called roosters next to Finsbury Park station?
  • Went to Roosters a couple of nights ago for a chicken wrap. Pretty good.
  • I actually prefer Roosters to Nandos, there is more choice for one, and you can actually leave with a full stomach which is not always the case in Nandos.
  • It looks like Nando''s has reopened?
  • Yes, a couple of weeks ago. Busy as ever.
  • Oh dear @south_to_north sorry, I haven't logged in for a while. You are correct and I forgot all about it. I have to say tho my experimentation while Nando's was closed had me fall in love with Oven and Hearth, their burgers are great! And reasonable. But their chicken is SO so good. Mmm...chicken...