Article 50

Comments

• BORING... And Martin Armstrong is one of those alternative fact sites which mixes some facts with opinion and labels them as fact!
  • Shoesmith got a pay off because she was summarily dismissed by the council after being told to do that by Ed Balls. Her contract of employment was broken hence compensation.
  • So interested to read the trajectory of this thread, about censorship and all, and that such offence was taken at Mimsy's comments regarding public sector workers and none about her irrelevant & inflamatory comments about black people in Chicago. The thread has made me so sad, as I do love this site, the neighbourliness and humour and desire to make our small patch a little better. I haven't wanted to look at it since.
  • MimsyMimsy Stroud Green
    edited February 2017
    @maclondon considering the EU came to Armstrong seeking advice on the design of Euro...I'd hardly call him "alternative fact". His forecasting record has no peer. ...anyone seeking alternative facts need look no further than the mainstream media - who did, after all, gives us the destruction of Iraq and the Middle East on a plate, when they ALL got in line and obeyed orders from on high.
  • edited February 2017
    Alternative facts are hardly new, they are taught to school children ffs, glorious war anyone?

How about that ridiculous oxygen waster Jess Phillips, she is a walking alternative fact maker, and yet another brainwashing corporation hero.

Interesting that i was also accused of 'sneering' and being 'sneery', is that a new buzz word to close down debate in line with snowflake etc?

Actually @maclondon it looks like you started it as you couldn't handle the fact that i simply stood up to the status quo, if you do not apologise I will be retaliating by buying a chainsaw and clown costume and cutting down ALL the vegetation from Crouch Hill to Green Lanes along the goblin line.
  • Capricious new rule: DON'T THREATEN THE VEGETATION.
    edited February 2017
    @HolbornFox ...priceless. Generation Snowflake is sooo delicate. (except when they are rioting in Cali Unis... claiming peace and love) ...will the ironies never end?
  • Irony huh. The irony of people asserting that the young have suddenly become too PC or oversensitive (with all the lazy bully-boy tells such as the use of 'snowflake', etc.) is that those same people are just abandoning traditional norms of civility in a way that's always been inappropriate in polite society. I doubt that the people reacting to crassness in this thread belong to one generation. Some people want to be able to be crass and insulting without reaction or consequence, but that's never been acceptable and shouldn't be now. The consequences used to be that chronically rude people would be avoided in the pub and never invited to parties, but now they have found an outlet for their rudeness through the anonymity of the internet.
    edited February 2017
    I don't mind the reactions... I'm an adult. And I find much of the hysteria no more than the over-offended musings of the chattering classes... it is incivility blanketing a faux moral posturing. It is the essence of gentrification and the prime fault with political correctness. You have the kill switch. Feel free to use it.
  • [Please don't make me delete any more messages because of the use of homophobic slurs, it's 2017 and it's tiresome]
  • edited February 2017
    [Not directed @Mimsy, the culprit knows who they are]
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    The person they are rioting against has a tour and it is called "dangerous (word which has been censored)". So I was using as an example of the hysteria. So Milo is gay and uses that name for himself.
    edited February 2017
    p.s. = "there are no homosexual or heterosexual 'people' ... there are only homosexual and heterosexual acts" ---- Gore Vidal {now being regularly censored... for saying something that was in no way inappropriate. You are lost, flailing wildly now, about things you don't even understand) Censored for having a go at Saudi Arabia's treatment of homosexuals... perfect. Censored for saying I've spent a decade living in an all gay household.
    I got censored. Hehe. We are being watched.
  • Fully aware. Unless you're Milo you won't use it here.
    I don't see that as a slur?
  • When you have to moderate a forum then you can apply your own rules.
  • Got to admit that as much as I like and respect Corbyn (on virtually every occasion he voted against his party as backbencher he was on the right side of the argument) I do think he seriously got it wrong with the decision to impose 3 line whip. Diane Abbott is getting some stick for her 'migraine' excuse at missing the vote - what about other local MPs? I'm assuming both Catherine West and David Lammy voted against the government on Article 50. Anyone had a look at the Brexit white paper?
  • edited February 2017
    @N19lurker both David Lammy and Catherine West voted against. The Guardian has the full list. I haven't yet had a chance to look at the White Paper.
  • Much as I hesitate to bring this thread back to life, some people were interested in the by ward referendum voting statistics. Such as are available (which include Haringey) are linked at the bottom of this bbc article. Stroud Green wasn't the highest remain voting ward in Haringey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034
  • Thought I would wake this one up now we have the CPI inflation figure going upwards at 1.85% and factory gate prices going up 3.5 % followed by a rise of 20.5% for material and fuels cost for manufacturing. Fairy obvious what is happening and we have even handed in the Article 50 note yet. Cars have apparently have gone up 5.4 %.

CPI was 0.3% in January 2016.

It is noticeable how the RPI rate is not being used any more because in Jan 2017 that was 2.6%, funny how that is not used any more and most people will not realise that.

It seems the opening gambit from the EU is that we will owe them 60 billion euro to leave the EU because of out budget commitments etc going forwards. That is enough to hold the London Olympics 5 times over !

I also read that the UK are unlikely to get fishing rights back like the leavers said. This is basis's of the effect of commitments we have with the UN through Europe so I guess we had better leave the UN as well !
  • If you want to get an idea of how excruciatingly difficult the next few years will be, here's a good place to start: http://politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/02/15/everything-you-need-to-know-about-article-50-in-five-minutes
    https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAmGvTZ?m=en-gb&ocid=Money

Or for a more upbeat view read this.....
  • I don't think they contradict each other - PWC's report explicitly assumes a successful deal, the Politics.co.uk article explains why such a deal will be really quite hard.
  • I find it hard to believe that the likes of PWC didn't know we were leaving. They profit out of literally everything else.
  • Just looked at this thread as it's been revived. @HolbornFox 'ridiculous oxygen waster Jess Phillips', has done, and continues to privately do, a great deal of good for female survivors of domestic violence. you may not like her manner - self described gobby Brummie, or agree with her politics but for that she deserves credit. There is very little support for victims of domestic abuse, male or female, with refuges closing and the Legal Aid Bill changes. Anyone who makes it easier to break free and start again should be thanked.
  • edited February 2017
    A quick google landed me on this rubbish. https://j4mb.org.uk/2016/08/20/you-have-to-feel-sorry-for-tom-phillips-jess-phillipss-husband It seems like this guy doesn't like Jess Phillips, so on the basis of that and Miss Annie's point, I've decided that I'm going like her. You might think it's wrong to even link to nonsense like that bloke's website, but I think it's important that people see the mindset that the world is up against. You read this and think what utter claptrap 'Feminists seek gender supremacy, regardless of the impact on men, women, boys, girls, families, public institutions, and wider society. They are driven by misandry (the hatred of men).' But you have to remember that lots of people out there will read it and think 'yeah, that's right, finally someone tells it how it is'. ...and then Donald Trump gets elected. So if you do come across this kind of false victimhood bollocks call it out.
  • edited February 2017
    Why did you only quote half of what i said and then presume why i do not like her?

The other half of what i wrote: she is a walking alternative fact maker, and yet another brainwashing corporation hero.

She and her PR company make big profits from slagging men off on the TV and literally making stuff up, i cannot stand her and her clickbait, imagine if that was the other way round?

Gobby Brummie!?

I wonder how many brainstorming sessions it took 'the team' to come up with that catchphrase? It is actually pathetic and the BBC should be ahsamed.

But then look how they promote mumsnet, bit weird how one of the women who started is married to a BBC executive.
  • edited February 2017
    She is a gobby Brummie - I've met her. It would have take anyone who has met her about a minute to come up with that description. I'm not debating the rest as I'm generally not for slagging people off on the internet, although I'll make the odd exception, but she has done a lot of good work. Some of this has benefitted people I know, (some was decades too late), that's good enough for me.
  • I do not always agree with JP's tone and choice of words. However, cuts to domestic violence services and refuges are sadly a reality and I commend her for what she does.