Distance restaurants can extend onto pavement?

Comments

• Indeed, @Papa L , I would find it difficult to believe that they didn’t know that they were over their allotted line, particularly if they’ve had to apply for a license in the first place, which is partly why I take the attitude which I do. I do like restaurants, and SGR of recent years is a thriving place, looking all the more colourful from the pavement tables here and there, but I don’t see how the tables would add any less "character" by being within their designated limits and not being a nuisance to passersby.

Your milquetoast point is well made, and it no doubt takes a degree of assertiveness to complain directly, but frankly, I just wouldn’t bother, expecting to be ignored or given the brush-off (and it's an undeserved courtesy anyway), but I meant it in the sense that it’s being unnecessarily indulgent towards the business owners, and encourages them all the more to see what they can get away with before the council steps in.

The onus is on the business to know what the regulations are and to follow them; we shouldn’t have to be “reminding” them. I think it is naïve to imagine that the business person isn’t aware of the problem they are causing. I qualify this from the experience of having worked in pubs and restaurants and observing how restaurant managers tend to act when they’re not in front of customers.

My parenthetical note in a previous comment was an attempt to make it clear that I was not comparing this problem to a serious crime, I was simply making an analogy or parallel about the mechanism.

@Harpistic , what attitude would you have expected the manager of the White Lion to exhibit? It’s all very well being contrite after the fact, but do you think he was unaware of the potential of the noise to be a nuisance to local residents? Perhaps he’ll now think twice before testing the waters.

Anyway, we’re all free to do as we please on this issue, and how one feels about it seems to depend on one’s outlook (yes, I admit, I don’t have much trust in business people unless there’s a light shining on them) and I think I’ve written more than enough on this now.
  • Maybe by extending their premises by 10% they've also increased sales by 10% and therefore nullified the increase in business rates that they received which would have made them make 2 members of staff redundant, who would have claimed benefits, lost faith in the system when they didn't find work, who would then have rioted, been caught on CCTV nicking out of JD Sports, gone to prison never to be seen again. Thank god they increased the space on the pavement.
  • Love the scenario, @Brodiej , but were it to happen, I'm sure you wouldn't condone those naughty redundant staff turning to crime, nor blame their actions and outcomes on increased business rates or limited restaurant premises.

After all, "…it is ALWAYS your decision to turn to crime. Society does not fail you in that way, as there is always an alternative route. Individuals must take responsibility for their actions, blame is an easy option." - Brodiej

(Sorry, couldn't resist it!)
  • Ha ha. Yes i remember that one from the riots!.....And i guess if you went to the trouble of searching previous remarks you'll know that being sarcastic is my only medium of communication normally derived from reading pages and pages of non-stories and ridiculous disproportionate outrage. Think that was a rare serious moment, still believe that view.

However, as outlined, the people who are moaning about encroachment of restaurants and cafes onto SGR pavements can be blamed for the associated number of people who turn to a life of crime. There is an obvious direct correlation, and people need to think very carefully about their actions.

Why bother phoning the council about the issue, simply ask a local youth to set fire to your car and save a few months because that's what will happen anyway. If it was a diesel car, you could get the insurance money back and buy a hybrid to save on the £96 surcharge the council make you pay too. If you' park next to some fly tipping, the flames from the car might burn away the eyesore that you might have phoned the council about as well. Win win for everyone.
  • The restaurants wont be there after the Big British Brexit anyway, it will be a deserted wasteland full of English people and Trump supporters.

Love will not win, Hate not Hope, we're all doomed i tell you.

At least JeffVanCurtainTwitcher will be happy about the pavements though.
  • edited July 2017
    Now I see, from these brilliant socio-economic analyses, how the country's problems could be solved if more restaurants were to encroach on the pavement space needed for pedestrians. I have seen the light!

(First I'm accused of trolling, then they start putting the troll bait out especially for me. What's a chap to do?)
  • edited July 2017
    Only joking old bean, I've never called you a troll either, the other meanies did though... :smiley:
  • _Bee_Bee Stroud Green Road
    This has been massively helpful and interesting, and I mean that. I'm a bit nervous to make a comment to them in person, as I don't have a good rapport with anyone there. Not sure which approach I'll take, but thank you everyone for the input!
  • At least it's proved helpful in outlining three choices:

1) Ask the restaurant nicely
    2) Tell the council
    3) Chuck the tables and chairs through the windows, set fire to a few cars, and hunker down for the Mad Maxian post-apocalyptic version of Stroud Green, where despite the crazed lawlessness taking over the streets, the fiercest debate will continue to be about the best pizza, jumpers worn over shirts, where Stroud Green actually is, and why the council's new £4,000 dystopian parking permit surcharge is a bit steep.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    There is another alternative. Walk down the other side of the road.
  • edited December 2017
  • @grenners That's harsh, we all know that the Islington side is the sunniest side of the road... :wink:
  • edited December 2017
  • The long-running collective incompetence and buck-passing of Haringey and Islington reads like a Richard Littlejohn column.
    @grenners - I literally live next door. That's not really an alternative option that I'm willing to entertain.

Thanks for the update, @gardener-joe
  • @_Bee Maybe one or two of us can accompany you for moral support if you choose to talk to Pappagone's manager?
  • Papa what do you mean by your kind passing? It seems to me you have me an assumption that Haringey was responsible they have told you they are not and have passed it on to who are.

Sounds quite helpful to me

You may find in the end it is Thames Water
  • Ali do you mean buck passing?

It's a throwaway comment based on this seeming to be the regular response on anything to do with the Stroud Green Road area from either council.

Haringey didn't seem to say, 'we are going to make sure they fix it for our council tax payers who live on that side of the road'.

It was more a we've reported it, it's not our problem, it's Islington's.

It may be unfair, but years of a lack of joined up thinking and a lack of investment in Stroud Green road from the pair of them has left me wearily cynical.
    Just to update... I was going to speak to them personally, but then one of them called my boyfriend a nasty word under his breath when he went to pick up our pizza. Sooooo... I'm never going back and I sent a message to the council.
  • Go to Porcheta their pizzas are a lot better
  • Sorry to hear that, but was his nastiness out of the blue, or is there more to it than you described, @_Bee ?
    I guess he was annoyed that my boyfriend didn't respond sooner when he called out the name of our pizza.
    I guess he was annoyed that my boyfriend didn't respond sooner when he called out the name of our pizza.
  • I had a pizza in there on Friday and it was really not all that, greasy and underwhelming quite frankly, no abuse though which would have been interesting.
  • I have always favoured La Porchetta for the pizza, it's been consistently better than Pappagone's for the 13-odd years I've been living here.

Pappagone has the better, bustling, chaotic, pizzeria atmosphere, so I see why people prefer it - and their non-pizza food is a bit better.

Good options for pizza quality, atmosphere, and good non-pizza food are Piccolo Diavola and La Saporita.
  • I've given up on Pappagone too after experiencing poor customer service. La Saporita is my favourite but the kids like La Porchetta. I used to really like the one near Crouch Hill station with the 90s sponge-effect walls but it never had anyone in so I guess no one else misses it.
  • La Saporita for me although I haven't been for probably a year, i do hope crazy lady is still there.

I'm not sure about the decor in La Porchetta but never had a bad meal there unlike the terrible one in Muswell Hill.

I genuinely think they go for the Italian style of service in Pappagone, basically ignoring you until you choke on a breadstick.
  • edited December 2017
  • edited August 2017
    I reckon enchroaching tables on the pavement is the new jumper-over-shirt problem on Stroud Green road. What next?
  • @kreuzkav , "jumper-over-shirt problem"? I've seen a few references to "jumper over shirt" a few times in this site (and this site only!) What does it mean?