Finsbury Park Improvements Consultation

edited June 2019 in Local discussion
The brochure has just dropped through my letterbox this morning.

A few issues are covered, principally security of the park at night, the possibility of two, lit cycle routes through the park as part of the TfL cycle-route network and whether parking should be abolished.

The proposal for dealing with ASB at the Finsbury entrance is to remove the benches.... rather than perhaps having Police officers or park wardens on duty at night.

In typical rotten-borough style, they forgot to make it available on the internet, and the link contained in the paper version to reply online currently doesn't work.

Comments

• It doesn't inspire confidence in Haringey when they can't even get their basic terms correct. There is no "Finsbury Park Entrance" (obviously, every entrance to the park could be called such!), but there is a "Finsbury Gate", i.e., the gate you would enter were you walking up from Finsbury (the gate opposite the end of Finsbury Park Road). This document mixes both terms to refer to the Finsbury Gate.

It does seem that they've put some thought into various options for car parking and lighting. While I'm all for dedicated cycle tracks around the edge of the park to extend or link existing cycleways in London (just as I am for cycling on the service road that already more or less follows the perimeter), there's no mention of a policy for other cycling in the park; grown-ups cycle along the walk ways and even along the railway bridge at Oxford Road, which if not downright stupid, is at least antisocial.

The online link…

www.haringey.gov.uk/fpconsultation

…probably isn't live yet, as the consultation period is 24 June (i.e., tomorrow) to 2 September 2019.

Let's see if it's up and running tomorrow!
  • I'd always thought the rules for cycling on that bridge were the same as for the Parkland Walk, i.e. cycling permitted but with due consideration for pedestrians. Seems reasonable enough if everyone's sensible.

I can't speak for anyone else (people on bikes aren't all representatives of some homogeneous group, despite what many believe!) but I don't find it inconvenient to trundle over the bridge if needed rather than try to squeeze past toddlers, dogs etc at speed.
  • edited June 2019
    That’s fine for the Parkland Walk, but the bridge is narrow, and because it’s flat, you can’t always hear a bike coming up behind you. Also, cyclists tend to try to accelerate up the rising gradient into the park, which has blind spots on either side and is therefore dangerous for people entering the bridge from the park. Indeed, @fwiw , like you, I dismount and wheel my bike across the bridge; hardly an inconvenience!

The consultation site is now up!
  • edited June 2019
    I cross that bridge when running.

Bikes, buggys and random druggies all seem to think they have the right of way.
  • Great that we have that bridge but fact is it can be a bottle neck. It is narrow and there are all manner of people who use it and haul things over it and so they should. Let's all just be a little tolerant of each other and being prepared to go slow. Use the bridge with the expectation that our journey might be slowed down by a few seconds so that everyone can get across safely.
  • The cyclists that ding their bells and the joggers who tut and complain are probably the same drivers who beep their horns when someone is going at 20mph in a 20mph zone.
  • I have been known to cycle across the bridge, slowly and carefully. I'd never ring my bell at someone walking ahead of me, and if the going is too slow I just dismount. Dismounting actually takes up more room than riding.
  • edited June 2019
    @therattle You might take up more room, but wheeling your bike you’ll have far less momentum and better balance than if you were cycling at low speed. Plus, you’d be going at about the same speed as other pedestrians. All in all, you’d be much less (hardly any) of a hazard.
  • True dat, Scruffy. As it happens, I went over the bridge with my bike yesterday and dismounted.
  • I have never met a jogger who tuts to be honest.

I have been shouted at for the crime of riding a mountain bike though by a full kit wanker.

Then again i have been on parkland walk as a runner, cyclist and dog walker over the years and it never ceases to amaze me how people put you into a designated tribe / box.
  • "full kit wanker" @HolbornFox ? Is that a typo or a species as yet unknown to me?

I too run, cycle, and walk (imaginary cat walker) on the Parkland Walk, but I think it's reasonable to categorise me as a runner when I'm running, a cyclist while I'm cycling, etc.
  • edited June 2019
    @Scruffy full kit wanker: someone in full blown Tour de France kit when riding a bike down the shop etc.

I'm talking about the filthy looks received from the other groups that you are not currently categorised into, it amazes me.
  • I enjoy the opposite approach. Always wear normal civilian outfit, no need for dedicated cycling attire, and so arrive anywhere instantly ready to become a pedestrian again.

Complete the look with a 1994 steel mountain bike (Raleigh, of course) and it's safe to lock up pretty much anywhere as it won't get stolen. The ultimate in urban transport.