All purpose coronavirus thread

Comments

• Yeh, I'm sorry there are still double standards going on here, yeh police, just like in every profession make mistakes and it's a good call for them to wear cams. That's very different to people just filming them as they do their job - especially in these times where they're looking after all of us and putting themselves and their families at risk.
  • It's not a double standard as the police wield different powers to most other profession and should thus be subject to a higher level of scrutiny - not to mention the manifold examples of misuse of that power.
  • The world would be a better place if everyone filmed the police. Their body cams are great but they also seem to conveniently fail from time to time.
  • What is going on with construction work? Two Dinglis owned properties at the tollington end of Victoria having scaffolding put up for loft extensions and refurbishment skips etc

Is this allowed? I thought construction slash all non essential works weren't currently permitted
  • Saw this and wondered. Building work also going on along Seven Sisters Rd alongside the park. I think lockdown is beginning to come apart at the seams. Some of my neighbours from one household just gathering in a large group on the pavement shouting and swapping fags.
  • @LukeG a mistake by the police can land you in prison - affecting your ability to work and travel. Rightly, and they would agree, they are held to a higher standard because the power they've been entrusted with, has significant repercussions.

As @joust says, the bodycams do have a habit of malfunctioning at convenient times. I'd also add that unless a group went through the thousands of hours generated daily to check for misconduct, it's only through citizens highlighting poor behaviour that the actions can then be cross-checked against those bodycams.

The pandemic is shit, the police do a good job on the whole, but intimidating journalists who are performing what one might argue as an important role, seems a bit much.
  • @krappyrubsnif - You published that helpful post about the WhatsApp SGMAG Group. And I'm really hoping you or anyone else can help. I have an uncle with mental health and disability issues (he cannot walk for more than a couple of minutes) who has relocated from Florence Road just before the pandemic in Dec '19. He has moved to Wood Green (close to the station) do you, or anyone else have any contacts for the local area there so I can sort out his shopping for him? He sometimes wants things last minute and I don't drive so, it could be convenient for him to have someone close by to help him at times. Thanks.
  • @littlemissnameless
    The sgmag is published on this site. It seems that there are a few groups towards wood green too.
    https://covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/?place=Wood+green+

Try joining one or two of them and see if they seem useful. Also be aware these things aren't vetted. So be safe.
  • @joust Thanks so much, I'll look into it! Yeah we are weary about a few individuals 'helping' him. He doesn't know people local to Wood Green and when he was living in Stroud Green it was a lot easier for us to shop for him. Unfortunately, C-19 has been hard on him, as we can't visit him. And with his mental health it's harder to make him understand what's happening outside of his home. Thanks again.
  • @LukeG - you say "police just like in every profession make mistakes". Tell that to the families of the 1500 people police have killed in custody - a third of them people of colour - without a single prosecution. The Coronavirus Bill has given a new swathe of powers to the police and the possible abuse is deeply worrying. I would ALWAYS film police interactions with the public and they have absolutely no right in law to stop me from doing so.
  • edited April 2020
    I work in the NHS and increasingly as practitioners we are recorded by patients. The trust I work in has a policy that it’s ok to be recorded although patients should say they are doing it and recordings shouldn’t be shared widely. They are shared however,
    frequently to make complaints.

I often think it’s best to just assume that recording is routinely taking place.

• @Dorothy The NHS does actually have a right to ban recording because for the most part it would be taking place on private property. It's reassuring to hear that no such ban is in place, but of course there are going to be people who abuse the open policy, which is a shame. Police operate in public spaces where of course in UK law there is no right to privacy (as demonstrated by the proliferation of CCTV in public areas).
  • I've not been at work for a while but back on this week and ran my usual route on the parkland walk. First thing I noticed is how busy it is: normally I see one or two people, now it's around ten. Second, people are being great at running on the left making distancing much easier. Third, yes there are still some idiots who decide to overtake and run on the right at really inappropriate moments or cycle two abreast when going past someone. Most, however, are brilliant.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    I was shouted at and called an obscene name by a runner. I was walking very slowly 3 or 4 metres behind an elderly couple. we were keeping left. I thought no point trying to overtake. Some random lady was just standing on the right hand side and stopped dead at the wrong place. So the oncoming runner had to stop also and wait for me and the elderly couple to walk past. Somehow in all of this I was shouted at with a load of obcentities presumably because I didn't dive head first into a bush so the runner could start again 10 seconds earlier than she did. Some very angry runners out there.
  • @Peter Crumb : yes your experience was really inappropriate. But like you, I've noticed most people are completely compliant. I have a" 2m pls" polite response for all non-compliers. I've discovered that being rude back promotes more aggression.
  • Yes it's easy to be defensive when someone is aggressive.
  • edited April 2020
    Peter, where do you get your idea about runners needing to be on the left? Typically, runners run on the right to face oncoming traffic, as do hikers. The parkland walk has no cars but it stands true for navigating cyclists. My main point however, is that it is likely people will have different interpretations so the best position is to use common sense and be tolerant if needed, especially when there are no formal rules. What is clear is that everyone has the right to at least 2m space so agree with politely reminding other when necessary.
  • Wanted to add... when I run these days, whether it’s in parkland walk or Finsbury or wherever, I don’t choose a particular side, I just run where there is most space and where it is safest
    @CrouchPotato there were some signs asking people to keep to the left. People who do not keep to the should be fined or imprisoned. Not sure about zigzaggers.......best let them be in case they are dangerous.
  • @grenners didn’t notice those signs today, only the 2m ones. What if you run backwards?
  • I go up there every day and haven't seen any keep left signs either.
    .....was definitely one at the Blythwood Rd gate where I usually enter. Maybe they have been taken down.........
    There is a sign on the side of the gate on Blythwood Rd asking people to be considerate follow social distancing and keep left. The generic council signs make no mention of keeping left. @CrouchPotato I will whack you with my 2m+ long stick if I see you zigzagging backwards.
  • On park runs you are meant to run on the left and obviously that's how we drive and what is expected on the tube. It doesn't really matter though, as long as everyone is running and walking on the same side. Worked well again today!
  • cmocmo
    edited April 2020
    My 70+ parents were told to 'piss off and self isolate' by a runner after they politely asked him to keep his distance. Strange really, i've had periods of running, and i've found runners to generalise, a good bunch. But there has been a strange uptick in not particularly pleasant behaviour. Who knows why?
  • Confronted by a millenial couple running abreast on the pavement on Upper Tollington this morning.....with no place else to go I was forced to cower between parked cars. I yelled 'Nice to hear you say "thank you" after them.' I hope they heard. But no acknowledgement. Where were these people raised - in a pig sty? Rude bastards.

These people are our future politicians, CEOs, journalists, opinion-formers, tax-evaders, police chiefs - think of nobody but themselves, entitled, stupid and morally castrated.
  • I think it's something to do with the adrenaline or whatever chemicals you get from exercise. Cyclists and joggers seem quicker to anger than your normal dude on the street.

(Reference and research: I'm a very laid back person, but a fighty cyclist)
  • edited May 2020
    I received some mail today that I know was posted on the 13th March. Royal Mail must be getting to some of the oldest sacks in their backlog. Impressive. #RoyalFail
  • A big pile yesterday and today, here too.
    Postie looked a bit stressed yesterday. I bet they're having a hard time of it
  • I'm sure they are: Looks as though Royal Mail was woefully unprepared. I also have a tracked 48h package which has been 'on the way to the local distribution office' since Tuesday.

In last night's government briefing, Matt Hancock thanked Yodel for stepping in at the last minute to deliver home tests. Royal Mail was making a big thing about the contract to do this about 6 weeks ago. Reading between the lines, it looks as though they can't deliver on it (pun intended)