Farewell, John Jones

13»

Comments

• John Jones was very expensive if you wanted a regular framing service as I found out on the one occasion I used them but I know some serious artists used them for gallery quality work. I loved their art materials shop when it existed - a comprehensive selection sorry it got closed but I guess they did not get enough footfall.

Looking forward to seeing who moves in
  • It is just a fact of life that framing is expensive, weirdly - I dont know why - and at a certain level often costs more than the artwork itself. I have a cousin who is an artist and sells his work gallery-free. He would confirm this. In fact he makes his own (highly crafted) frames and thereby easily doubles what money he makes. John Jones were not exceptional in this regard, not exploitative, and just offering a very high quality product and one used by the finest professionals. I've been told that works of art by some of the most famous contemporary artists from David Hockney to Gilbert & George have passed through Stroud Green.
  • Good framing is expensive because it is extremely labour intensive, it is all hand made and great care has to be taken at all stages to ensure it all fits neatly, no dust is trapped in the frame etc. Also all the materials mounting board, backing board, tape..have to be acid free to prevent discolouration in the future and are not cheap, just staining a moulding takes ages..sanding, applying stain several times, waxing. We stopped doing it because we didn't have the time! We now buy standard sizes in (and sell very reasonably : ) and recommend Albion Frames if anyone is interested. Having said all that JJ were absolutely at the top end of the scale and as people have said here at one point framed for all the best galleries in London and beyond.
  • Looks like Lidel wants to move in and keep the other shop. It is at planning with Islington.

Double the size of the SSR shop. Hit a consultation doc through the door this morning
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    Excellent
  • Is that Lidl, if so great (that's true sarcasm)
  • It's going to be an interesting concentration of food retailers around the Well's terrace side of the station: M&S, Sainsbury, Nisa, and Lidl—Any thoughts on whether they're all likely to stay?
  • edited June 2020
    Nisa probably not if Lidl arrives. M&S is interesting, as I'm not sure Finsbo is the right spot for them either - does the crouch end one do well? Sainsbury's may close and be happy with their other shop. Personally I find Lidl to be the worst of the discounters along with Asda. All about doing over (non UK) farmers and destroying the environment. At least Sainsbury's and Tesco have got better reputations from that stand point.
  • Really? I think the SGR side is more than ready for a local M&S. The City North residents will make good use of it for sure. (The Crouch End branch seems to do a brisk trade, despite being pretty tiny and close to three competitors).

The differing budgets and appetites of local residents could surely keep them all in business. Plus, it gives locals a chance to price check / 'shop hop' - what Sainsbury's doesn't have Lidl might, M&S might have better quality than X... etc.
  • Exciting times. Once we celebrated having interesting independent shops, soon they'll be gone and we'll have all the big supermarket chains to choose from, just like everywhere else.
  • Marks in Archway always seemed dead pre-lockdown. Bit busier now but only because people probably can't face the queue for Aldi.
  • Luke G Lidl seems according to it web site to be trying quite hard on substabilty
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-driving-tests-and-theory-tests

In the leaflet delivered emphasised their support of British Farmer s. Apparently most of the staff are recruited less than 5 mins drive from the store

I could probably agree concerning the Walmart mob.
  • It is the small pop in for a few items Sainsbury's that has hit the little shops
  • I’ve just found this now and so sad to hear that John Jones has closed and left Finsbury Park. All this time I passed the developments there I thought it was still somewhere in there hidden amongst the new towers..
    I wanted to say thank you to John Jones and Kelly, Matt, Kristian, Kate and John Dawes for being great to work for. Whilst there I had a pivotal career breakthrough when, on my Saturday job there, I met Mike Davies of Richard Rogers Partnership and managed to have a conversation about career moves. After he told me the places he studied and I then decided to take his path as my own. I went on to study at each of the places he did and at the end I found myself with 2 jobs, one as an architect and one as an academic. I took both and have worked in practice and Higher Education ever since. I’ve had my own practice for many years and have a key part Londons newest engineering and design university. Now I am running for RIBA London Regional Council. I also set up a children’s education not for profit social enterprise; Archimake.org - for 4 years kids have been learning what I’ve been teaching at uni, drawing and design skills which is really fun, but still looking for sponsors.
    So thank you for being so nurturing during the early days of my career - I always look back on that time fondly (including our gym trips!)
    I hope you are all well and having a great time raising your own families.
    You may have also inspired me to start my own business, as I have done a few times now!
    I hope you read this!!
    Best wishes,
    cheryl x