physio

benben
edited August 2008 in General chat
Can anyone recommend a physio? I am in spasm. An old football injury which comes back to punish me every so often.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    I can recommend an osteopath on Upper St? He does muscular stuff as well as bones, and has treated footballers...
    I think I've recommended him on here before somewhere.
    http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/847/
  • edited 5:58PM
    What sort of spasm?

I'd check out the evidence base for whatever therapy you choose, be it conventional or alternative, or it could just be a waste of cash.
    Well my lovely osteopath was certainly not a waste of cash. And it's not like I'm advocating he rub his injury with crystals.
  • benben
    edited 5:58PM
    I'm not sure that I know one spasm from another. I have a long-standing problem with my sacro-iliac joint, but this feels more serious than in the past. I've been to see a GP but they were a bit non-specific, so I'm wondering about some kind of physio. I'm not big on alternative medicine - it would take a lot to persuade me.
    I don't think you can judge an alternative medicine, or indeed any medicine, based on your own subjective experience.
    If you look at the British Society of Osteopathy's website there is ample evidence that they're dimwits:
    http://www.british-institute-of-osteopathy.org/traditional/Default.aspx#8%238
    For instance they say
    "There are no 'diseases' or 'cures' only obstructions to natural processes"
    I'd say successfully cutting out all of someone's cancer is a cure.
    "One very good example of this is the 1917 flu pandemic. The mortality rate at osteopathic hospitals in America using articulation to keep fluids moving and non-suppressive fever management to allow the cleaning crisis was ¼%!"
    They think they can treat people with Flu by manipulating joints!
    "Why randomised controlled trials (RCTs) don't work"
    If to justify your practice you need to come up with daft criticisms of RCT's to explain why the RCTs suggest your practice is balls you really have lost the argument.
    "The subject of vaccination is only controversial if you decide to believe the orthodox view because there is no scientific evidence that the practice has done anything to prevent, improve or eradicate any disease."
    What about the eradication of small pox?!? Do they really expect us to believe that no vaccines work and it's all some big con by orthodox medicine?
    "Germs are made by your body in an effort to clear up a messy environment. Once this has been achieved they will automatically disappear again. Proven several times in the last 150 years alone, and still not accepted in our world"
    And we're expected to believe that our bodies make bacteria!!! ffs.
    Do you really want to see someone why believes in that?
    I don't know if it's an explicit recommendation, but Marcel Peen in CE made my leg go from not bending at all to normal range, which I was pretty happy with.
    Another of my physios died on the morning of my second appointment.
    Wade at Kay Lawler's practice in Highbury is quite good, although the little room get's very hot.
    apparently there are no chartered physios in N4.

see: http://www.csp.org.uk/director/physiotherapyexplained/physio2u.cfm

3 in N8 though.

But did you ask your GP to refer you for physio? Why pay if you can get it for free?
    I think NHS physio can be pretty inadequate sometimes, and besides, medical insurance usually pays for this kind of thing (if you have it).
    I have to recommend a physio I have used in N8, the man is a magician. [http://www.crouchendphysio.com](http://www.crouchendphysio.com) There some more tips in a thread entitled [bad back](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/847/)
    err, well, I'm not sure about the british society of osteopathy and their views on the flu pandemic, but I certainly can judge a type of medicine based on my own subjective experience. If it worked for me, then I consider it successful, end of. I'm sure it's true that it may not work on *all* musculo-skeletal problems, but both the lovely Highbury osteopath and my uncle (who was also an osteopath) sorted out my back problems every single time.
    @colette
    " but I certainly can judge a type of medicine based on my own subjective experience. If it worked for me, then I consider it successful, end of"

hmmm, but how can you possibly say that the benefits you felt were as a result of the osteopathy, rather than due to the placebo effect or coincidence?
    Because I've left my back untreated when I was too broke to go to the osteo, and remained in far more pain for far longer. It seems pretty simple to me.
    But that could have been a coincidence (eg. the worse period coincided with not going to the osteopath). Or it could be because of the placebo effect altering your subjective opinion on the pain. I can't see how you can prove causation with a personal anecdote.
    all this debate proves is that alternative/complimentary medicine needs proper, unbiased research done... it's usually passed over in scientific circles for being outside accepted areas of research, and when studies are done they're generally done contemptuously by smug-faced professional sceptics like richard fucking wiseman who eschew scientific rigour for axe-grinding and soapboxing.

from a fortean/phenomenological point of view, personal anecdote is very important. accumulated corroborative testimony is (almost) all alternative therapies have to go on. indeed almost any topic of debate outside mainstream science - ufology, esp/psychic phenomena, cryptozoology etc - survive on anecdote and personal testimony above anything else.

/rant
    @colette
    " *yawn* "

Well I guess it must be boring if you find yourself involved in an argument where you have nothing intelligent to say.

@unaesthetic
    "accumulated corroborative testimony is (almost) all alternative therapies have to go on"

But these are always going to be biased because no one is capable of being truly objective. Furthermore, most people don't even try to be objective but are quite happy to believe in things that they want to believe in. It's clearly wrong to recommend therapies of unproven effectiveness and little safety data to people because it may be a waste of time/money or worse; actually harmful.
    @ puzzlebob. It's not that I don't have anything intelligent to say on the matter, I just don't think that this is what this website is here for. I gave a recommendation - Ben was free to follow it up or ignore it, as he wished. I didn't expect this torrent of pointless criticism.
  • LizLiz
    edited August 2008
    Blimey puzzlebobble, what did you have on your cornflakes this morning? This thread really has got a bit unnecessarily confrontational given that it was only a request for info/recommendation from ben originally. BTW ben, how is your football injury - did you find a physio?
    @ puzzlebobble - hence the need for proper, unbiased research. just because something isn't (yet) understood, doesn't mean it's a pack of lies...
  • LizLiz
    Let it go, unaesthetic! Given that this is a live debate amongst the scientific/medical community, I think it's unlikely we're going to be able to resolve it here.
    hehe, fair point. but blinkered sceptics rub me the wrong way (like any dogmatic believers)
    @colette
    Criticising a recommendation for an unproven, potentially dangerous (and expensive) alternative medical therapies is hardly pointless. If people weren't spreading these superstitions we wouldn't have homoeopaths treating AIDS and malaria or a resurgence in Measles. They'd be forced to either do some research to back up what they are saying or quit.
    If you have any logical reason as to why no one should disagree with you then please let me know.

@unaesthetic
    Who said it was 'all a pack of lies'? You seem determined to fight with a straw man. There may well be some benefits, but there may also be risks. Either way personal anecdote is not a good form of evidence because it is so subject to observer and recall bias.

As it goes I believe there to be some weak evidence for osteopathy in treating some low back pain although it's probably not better than conventional treatment. The evidence for it treating anything else successfully is sparse and doesn't (at least yet) support it's use. The current evidence for it's use in sacroiliac joint problems seems not existent.

If you have evidence otherwise I'll quite happily read it and may change my mind . I'm a skeptic but not blinkered.
  • edited August 2008
    pb - see your own reply to colette. no alternative therapies have undergone the same testing as conventional ones (other than biased, pro-sceptic "debunkings"), but reported success rates are often close to those of "proven" treatments. the difference is often that one treatment is sanctioned by the scientific community, the other is officially considered hoodoo and therefore isn't given the respect of a bit of fair research. and of course accepted medical practise could never be at fault… like prescribing antibiotics for all minor ailments and thereby producing superbugs.

and there is a lot to be said for the placebo effect. mere belief in the process of treatment has been proven (yes, by actual scientific method) to be effective. the healing process from any ailment is made up of three parts - the self-healing processes in the individual, the specific effects of any treatment provided, and the non-specific effect of the process of treatment and the presence of a therapist.

by the way, are you american? or do you spell sceptic with a k because your spell-checker tells you to? (this isn't meant as an insult, i have nothing at all against being from america, it's just that i noticed that sceptic is underlined on my screen but skeptic isn't)
    @unaesthetic

"no alternative therapies have undergone the same testing as conventional ones"

Would you accept a new drug being given to patients without knowing it was safe because it hadn't "undergone the same testing"? Alternative medicine has been around a long time and is worth hundreds of millions of pounds; there is no excuse for them not having done any research. Homoeopathy for example has been reasonably well researched and it's not been shown to be any better than placebo.

"reported success rates are often close to those of "proven" treatments"

But you said they haven't undergone testing: how do you know what the success rates are? Or do you mean what they tell people?

"of course accepted medical practise could never be at fault…"

Who ever said it was perfect? Do two wrongs make a right?

"and there is a lot to be said for the placebo effect. "

There's also a lot to be said for not lying to patients. I have no objection to the placebo effect but if that's all you are offering then they should be told that. The patient should be able to trust whoever is treating them.

"by the way, are you american? or do you spell sceptic with a k"

No. I thought it was the other way round and that sKeptic was english. Google says the etymology is "from Gk. skeptikos". I'd be surprised if the yanks were closer to the original.
  • "I have no objection to the placebo effect but if that's all you are offering then they should be told that."

Surely it only works if you don't tell them.

For the record, neither unaesthetic nor I use alternative therapies. I made him go to yoga twice. He was not a happy bunny.
    exactly, the placebo is the effect of the *belief* in the process of healing. if you tell the patient they're just getting a sugar pill, their level of faith in the process will be nil.

i said *reported* success rates, not double-blind-tested success rates. so yes, word of mouth, from patient to practitioner to patient.

i must remind you that my whole point is that these therapies ***should*** be properly and thoroughly tested, to see what bits work, which bits are hogwash, and where the coincidences, placebos and the bullshit occur. i believe that science does proceed according to a bias for already acceptable concepts, and i know that there is a lot of animosity for any outsider ideas in a lot of the scientific community. i'm positive that in amongst all the mumbo-jumbo, things are being done with beneficial outcomes, but are dismissed out of hand for being wrapped in said mumbo.

and my o.e.d. defines "skeptic" as: "US var. of SCEPTIC". there was a spelling reform in the usa (i think somewhere in the mid 19th century) to make their spellings more phonetic and simpler - hence the lack of diphthongs (color, armor, etc) - so the spelling could well have been changed to reflect the hard c sound...
  • benben
    Sorry for my silence - I've been away on holiday for ten days. My back is much better (thanks), though I still have some related pain in my lower leg. So I am going to go through this discussion thread, take down some of the recommendations (mainstream medical rather than alternative) and fix something up. Thank you for all the advice. Much appreciated.