Olympics

LizLiz
edited August 2008 in General chat
So, four days in and still no thread about it on SG.org - time to remedy that situation. I love the Olympics, especially this bit at the start where totally random sports (synchronised diving anyone?) get stackloads of coverage. My favourite though is the gymnastics - what those people can do beggars belief. Loving the BBC red button multiscreen too. Anyone else watching/at all interested?

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Aye - we were watching the synchronised diving too. Inevitably started the 'wouldn't it be funny...' conversation which led to this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • edited August 2008
  • edited 5:17PM
    UK Medal Predictions? I'm guessing 8 gold, 13 silver and 11 bronze. Any others?
    Don't know if anyone can help with this question, but in the 80s I seem to remember Sebastian Coe breaking records whilst wearing a vest with "HARINGEY" emblazoned on the front.

I'm scratching my head to work out if this meant that Seb warmed up for his gold medal achievements by legging it around the track at Finsbury Park? Any ideas?
    Haringey Athletics Club were (and perhaps still are) one of the top clubs in the country. Based, I think, at the New River Stadium on White Hart Lane.

Not that many of the big names who belonged to them were from the area (an exception was Dwain Chambers, who is now so vilified - a bit over the top in my opinion) that they probably would rather forget all about him.

Anyone who hasn't been recently to the Lea Valley leisure centre (and why would you, really) up at Picketts Lock will have missed an amazing new athletics stadium they've built up there. What with the track at FP too, this area is quite an athletics hub. That, and the Olympics, just makes me feel more guilty for not going out for a run more often.
    My prediction was completely wrong. These olympics have been great fun.
  • LizLiz
    edited 5:17PM
    Loving it. Watched loads this weekend (mainly because I was in Somerset and it rained all bloody weekend, so I couldn't stomach watching the nice sunny Arsenal match...). Also really loving the BBC highlights programme, which is unexpectedly entertaining. Not least watching Gaby Logan and Michael Johnson flirting with each other. What must Kenny be thinking?
    @ Liz - you didn't miss too much, apart from nasri looking quite tasty. Athletics probably provided more excitement.