Pooles Park Primary School - Garden Open Morning - 29th August

edited August 2008 in Local discussion
Pooles Park School garden in Lennox Road is one of the best kept secrets in Stroud Green. We hold open days during the school holidays so that it can be enjoyed by the whole community. If you can spare two minutes or two hours we would love to see you. The next open day is on 29th August from 10am - 12 noon. Please come along with or without children. You are welcome to bring a picnic and enjoy the peace, or learn to garden with Sophia our environmental tutor. Access to the open day is from the rear entrance to the school in Hatley Road. Pooles Park is nationally recognised for our commitment to education about the environment and sustainability. Help us to save the planet.

Comments

• edited 10:41AM
    I hadn't heard of Pooles Park School before, might have something to do with not having children. Nevertheless, I would have loved to come by on the open day - but I am away on holiday. Please keep us posted of other 'open days'!
    Hi Petra - we will have another open day in the spring and others in the summer. I will announce on this site.
    Just a reminder about Open day on Friday. For details see above. Hope you are all enjoying the summer.
    Pinned to the top o' the board til then!
    Thanks Andy. Wasn't sure how to do it.
  • valval
    edited 10:41AM
    I went there on 29th at about 11am, but the big gates were closed and not a soul to be seen. Just the gentle cackling of hens.
    @val The thread is from 2008. That probably explains things.
  • valval
    edited September 2011
    Oh, Miss Annie! Thank you. How out of touch can I get? I think that dated threads should be deleted. I never thought to look.
    How did you find the thread? It must have been on page 20764 or something.
    @ Greg, I am one of the ' Old Girls of Pooles Park School' I started there in 1961, I was 5 years old. My first teacher was a lovely Lady called Mrs Ade. I still remember my first day because I howled my eyes out when my Mum left. Mrs Ade lifted me up on a desk and rattled her keys at me to try and distact me I guess. She taught us all how to write using our fingers as gaps between words. My next teacher was a wonderful old chap called Mr Hannah. Every friday, he would bring in a bag of Fox's glacier fruit sweets, and hand them out to the Pupils. Those who did especially well that week, got the most, but no-one ever went away empty handed. My next teacher was Miss Carter who retired as I finished my year or so with her. Have to say that she gave me a phobia re: maths. I shall say no more.My last teacher was one of a kind. Mr Head. Now there was a Teacher!! He used to bring his guitar to school everyday and taught us numerous Folk Songs etc. One day, he took our class to the Gym which had the kind of apparatus that sat close to the wall but would slide out to make climbing frames etc with hanging ropes.This particular day, the apparatus were up against the wall as usual. Mr Head had taught us to sing a Sea Shanty,' What do we do with a Drunken Sailor' and we were instructed to 'haul the ropes' as they would have done on board ship.
    Well, with Mr head's guitar playing and our raucous singing, we well and truly got into the role. Suddenly, we heard a loud crack, our class had managed to pull the brackets that held the apparatus from the wall. How the whole lot did not fall down, I shall never know. Needless to say, our musical event ended there and then,but oh, it was such fun!!!!!!
    Happy days at Pooles Park. Can I ask Greg, is it possible to visit my old School? Have wanted to for ages. I do not live locally now, but I would really love to come back home to see my Old School. Is it possible?