The Anti-Tesco

edited August 2008 in Reviews
This isn't terribly local, but close enough.

The last few weeks I've been buying our groceries from Yasar Halim on Green Lanes. We discovered it purely by accident, but now I go out of my way to shop there.

Half of the store is a fantastic bakery. They do lots of tasty Turkish/Mediterranean things like boreks, but also good, cheap bread. Every time I've been in there, it was busy. They must have a high turnover because the bread is often still warm. The cakes look particularly tempting, but thus far, I've resisted.

The other half of the store is similar to Woodys, but better. There's a large selection of very fresh veg that's better and cheaper than at Tesco. I got a whole basket of aubergines, peppers and courgettes for under 6 quid. Next time I'm going to try their selection of olives.

The staff are lovely, too. There's lots of them, and they keep several tills open so you don't have to queue for half an hour.

It took me around 20 minutes to walk up there, going around the park. The bus back isn't a lot quicker, but I take it anyway because I'm too lazy to carry the groceries.

Comments

• LizLiz
    edited 10:51AM
    This place sounds great - I've been buying veg from the green grocers in CE recently on my way to the pool on Saturdays, but it's pretty pricey so an alternative would be good. Would be great if you could add it to the directory too so I know which bit of Green Lanes to head for!
  • edited 10:51AM
    As i live at the east end of Stapleton Hall Rd i tend to use green lanes a lot, the British butcher is very good down there too.
    Sounds good. We have been spending a fortune at Waitrose so I persuaded my food snob husband to go to Morrisons on Holloway road to get lots of bulky stuff to see if we could save money.

He looked miserable with a face like thunder when there but I thought the staff were friendly and the way the food was layed out reminded me of an Australian supermarket like Coles.

But...

When we got to the cash till I was thinking - god this really isnt that bad and they everyone went quiet as a horrible yobbish man started squaring up to a poor little indian man and trying to fight him - shouting and it was awful and intimidating.

My husband said to the cashier - wow how often does this happen? To which she replied EVERYDAY!

Joy.
    I'd like to second Yasar Halim - it's wonderful. Definitely try out the olives, and the baklava too. And the orangey bread with almonds on it. And the fresh cobnuts. And the cherries... Now we just need to move it closer to our house.

Baldwins butchers is good too. Nigel Slater used to recommend it before he moved to Marylebone.
  • edited August 2008
    But do they do perfectly acceptable lemon meringue pies for £1.05? And we just got a free ticket to Legoland from our Clubcard vouchers...(with thanks to other members for clocking up points on our behalf - I owe you a veggie fiesta).

And I do like Morrisons - their fish counters are great.

@ Liz - how about organic veggie boxes - the Riverford ones are really good.
  • LizLiz
    Thanks katiejane - I get an Abel and Cole box once a fortnight but usually stock up in between (one box a week is too much though).
    I've added Yasir Halim to the directory.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that they make their own hummus. Delicious!
  • LizLiz
    Great - am visiting a friend who lives up that way (in the 'ladder') this weekend, so will definitely check it out.
    Me too - whereabouts is it on GLs though?
    The address is 495 Green Lanes. I think it's two bus stops past the GL train station.
    In which direction RC?
    Away from FP. If you get on the 29 at FP, it's less than 10 mins to Yasar Halim. It'll be on the left hand side of the road.
  • AliAli
    Yasar Halim make the best bought Apple pies on Earth !
    That's it. I'm off. Homemade hoummus and the best bought apple pies on earth? Fantastic. Is it past the Salisbury pub or before?
  • AliAli
    It also seems to have made the London paper
    http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Satellite/london/food/article/1157147149105?packedargs=suffix%3DSubSectionArticle

The Apple Pies are sited behind the women with the pony tail at the back of the photo. Usually have bought several Turkish Pizzas by the time I have got to the pie section.

The Olive bread is also great.

Also get some cheap tomatoes and make your own chutney – very easy to do and fantastic to eat !
    thanks tossers, i mean tosscat.
  • We just got back from Yasar Halim. I'm stuffing my face with a delicious feta and herb borek. Mmm. We've tried a few more things over the last couple of weeks. The baklava is delicious. As are the olives. Pretty much everything has been excellent.

There's a Russian shop across the street. It's called CMAK. They have a decent selection of food from the mother country, including Baltica beer, sold at a healthy 300% markup.
  • edited September 2008
    Mmmm - managed to get there yesterday. Lovely. I wouldn't rate their apple pies as the best ever though - the apple's way too mushy and sweet and the pastry veered on the soggy side.

Very nice staff - one gave my son a complimentary gingerbread man on account its head had fallen off.

On the way back down green lanes I saw a shop with the best spelling mistake I've seen in a long time: tomatose.
    If your son's head has fallen off, you should take him to casualty. A gingerbread man - even a free one - just won't cut it as a means of palliative care. You also shouldn't refer to your child as "it". He is a human being, with rights. Those rights include being taken to casualty if his head falls off.
    lol @ andy

katiejane - is that an how an unconscious tomato is?
    I saw a take away shop today that sold 'brugers'.
    people from belgium? is that some kind of people trafficking operation?
    Yes and served in a seeded bap/barm cake/teacake/bread bun.