Pub to watch the Arsenal

edited April 2009 in Local discussion
A gunner friend of mine is coming up to visit me tomorrow and wants to go watch the Villarreal match. Was wondering what pub people would recommend going to watch them in? Being a Cambridge United fan this hasn't been something I've needed to investigate before ;) My initial thought was the World's End but not sure if that's still (or ever was) the case?

Comments

• edited 9:49AM
    They'll all have the game on, depends on how keen you are to get a seat / good view and what time you are able to ensconse yourself!!

The Faltering Fullback has a 'tavern' area with wooden benches as well as the junkyard front bar, and a good atmosphere. The Dairy will show both TV games on different screens I guess so you might be limited in seating choice? The Larrik has more tellies than either of them...

Or you could go all out and settle on the Twleve Pins for some comedy chanting...
    Twelve Pins is crazy on match day so if you want to give him the authentic experience then go there!
  • edited April 2009
    Islington Academy is going to be taken over by Red Action and doing cheap pints and free entry: http://www.redaction.org.uk/front.html Frightening really.
    Cheers all. I'd been aiming for a place with a fair amount of arsenal support but where I wouldn't get lynched for occassionally lapsing into "come on Cambridge" shouts...
    another good place to watch any football match is "the junction" on highbury corner, the pub is sponsored by sony so there are big HD projections everywhere and lots of other smaller tellies servicing individual tables. big comfy sofas, decent food, never seems to be that busy - they even have a large plasma outside so you can watch while you smoke.

otherwise pretty much any of the better known SG pubs will have it on, they also show it in pappagone so you can have a pizza and watch if that floats your boat.
    True - you should be careful. There's nothing so fierce as the Arsenal-Cambridge rivalry. I hear you'll get lynched for grumbling about the Boat Race.
    Some of us still remember the 1991 FA cup quarter final - admittedly this might be a slightly one sided rivalary ;)
    Nick Hornby used to go and watch the Us, and I spent 3 fairly dismal years watching them too, but you couldn't argue with the £6 entry price. I like to think there's a certain warmth of feeling between Arsenal and Cambridge United fans. If you can be bothered to walk that far, the Arsenal Tavern or The Gunners on Blackstock rd will certainly have some atmosphere. Otherwise Twelve Pins. The Larrick if you want a seat.
    Finding non-Prem football in pubs is increasingly difficult when the powers-that-be schedule the lower league live games simultaneous with other Prem games. That said, the manager of the Larrick has always honoured requests in advance (unless the clash was with Arsenal)...