Anyone remember the Osborne Arms?

edited May 2009 in Local discussion
Does anyone remember that place?
Might be a bit before most peoples time.
What a cracking boozer that was! Had a good game of dominoes in there....

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 3:49AM
    Real Irish pub, great music very drunk ladies dancing on the tables , pool table in the front bar.

Now called Nandos and all the punters ended up in the White Lion or the Irish pub in Tolington
  • edited 3:49AM
    Dire. The toilets were like a bad night crossing on the Fishguard to Dunleoraigh ferry with unmentionable body fluids and people shooting up. Even the dominoes couldn't stand up straight.

I used to drink at the seafood stall outside. Anyone remember that?
    Walked home one evening right through a fight that spilled out of the Osborne - broken bottles, screaming women, everything! It didn't add anything good to my first impressions of Stroud Green Road.... Prefer chicken (and __natas__!) from Nando's when I can convince my children they don't want to eat yet more pizza.
    I lived on Upper TP at the time the Osbourne was at its most lively. I didn't go in there much. OTOH I have always felt that the closure of the adjacent whelk stall was a loss. There was quite a campaign to keep it.
    While we're on the pub nostalgia tip, what about the ancient days of the Stapleton Hall Tavern. They used to have great live music in there. The celebrated Stapleton Hall Allstars were world beaters IMHO.
  • AliAli
    edited 3:49AM
    The only pub I have ever been in that a dog owner let it crap on the floor !

In those days there was no Nobel (it opened as pub no 6 in the Weatherspoons chain and was called Marlers) and WLM so it was teh only pub between the Osborn and the Haringay Arms !
    natas! now we're talking!!!
    I remember you could hardly see in there from the cloud of smoke in the back room.

I once played a local at pool, he looked like he was on his last legs!
    The slope on the table made it impossible to play so locals ruled!