Where is cool for 18 year-olds?

edited August 2009 in General chat
This probably puts me into all kinds of lights. Anyway, I've got my 18-year-old niece plus boyfriend visiting next weekend, and I would like to help them find the cool places to go to. As I am only just past my clubbing days, does anybody have an idea? They are into punk rock, which does NOT include Oasis etc., and I wouldn't want to send them to some tourist rip-off place. Also I'd ideally prefer them not to get stabbed. Do they play Spacemen 3 anywhere these days, with a tolerant door policy?

Comments

• edited 12:03PM
    The Gaff, just up from Argos on Holloway Road, has a pretty punk vibe, though I believe they may be going more towards the metal end of things lately. Still, certainly not too touristy or trendy. If that doesn't work out, Big Red is pretty much opposite,although again there is the risk of it being too rock and insufficiently punk.
    Thanks ADGS, just what I was looking for. Does anyone know anything about places to avoid/go to in Camden? Every time I ended up at places there the music felt like a selection from a 'golden oldies' box.
    elephant's head on camden high street? bit more rockabilly but certainly quite punk...
    Where are they from? If it's somewhere relatively unsophisticated and their experience of London is limited then they will probably love to go to Camden. I am consistently bewildered by out-of-towner's fascination with it. If they are a little less naive then drag them down Brick Lane on Sunday avo - the youngsters seem to like that.
    Thanks everyone, I knew I could count on this site. tosscat, I don't really know much about her level of sophistication as it's family and I really only get an update at Christmas, the most recent being black hair and the amount of conversation available being inversely proportional to the number of cigarettes consumed. But as it's her first time in London she'll probably find everything interesting. I hope she's not going ask to be shown around the King's Road. Thanks again.
    Brick Lane is a bit more trendy indie than punk rock, surely? But one advantage of either there or Camden is that both will be awash with people handing out flyers, based on which they can probably make their own selection of where sounds good.
    I have no idea, but I imagine Curtain Road/Brick Lane/Hoxton Square will impress the kids. But let me stress, I have no idea.
  • edited August 2009
    1st time in London? Ever? Open top bus tour - done. They'll be far too tired to want to do anything else. They sound like Goths to me, are they from Leeds? They'll pretend to have an awful time to you anyway but will secretly enjoy everything, especially when you take them to platform 9 3/4 at kings x.
    the intrepid fox used to be a good bet for 18 year olds with dyed black hair, not sure if it's quite the same now it's moved to behind centrepoint.
    Thanks again, they are from Goth Capital (I think) Stuttgart, and open top bus tour is booked.
    the fox is a shithole now (always was really), and the dev is no longer the dev. big red is probably the best bet, or somewhere in camden other than the dev. next weekend? i'll have a look if there are any decent gigs on...
    What about comedy in that pub in Crouch Hill? That's always fun and you can go with them without being a gooseberry. Can't remember the name of the pub though - the King's something?
    Maybe have a look what's on at [The Garage](http://www.thegarage.co.uk/cms/club-listings.html), Highbury corner, its generally varied but I saw ATR there so its got some alternative pedigree.
    King's Head
    Thanks once again! This site is a real treasure. I wasn't aware there were comedy events at the King's Head?
    atari teenage riot? i was at that show. a friend of mine knew Bis so we were hanging out with them, strangely, although Manda Rin never turned up...
    The King's Head is the best local place for comedy (since the Red Rose disappeared from Seven Sisters).
  • edited August 2009
    @unaesthetic: Yep. Was great. Although Alec has a bit of a messiah complex I'm none too keen on which in a surreal way reminded me of Moby. Still, can't have everything.
    Downstairs at the Kings Head is good for comedy. Nice little venue.
    The ATR show at the Garage was the first London gig I ever attended, came down from Cambridge for the night. Great show. But, since then the Garage closed for many years and I've not been since the reopening, so whether it still has the same vibe I'm not sure.
    Ahhh, Spacemen 3... happy days at Reading Festival in '88...

I'm kind of retired now from most music fun apart from the odd gig but The Garage was quite good - more of a venue with a club afterwards deal though. The Hope and Anchor is a legendary pub/venue not sure what's like now. Camden's probably your best bet i reckon but make sure they're streetwise and to get a black cab home.

I think i was at that ATR gig. Remember that electrical shop on STR opposide the Worlds End? (now a another bloody wig shop).I think it was called AC Empire or something - some of the letters had fallen off so it always looked abit like Alec Empire... Used to make me smile - i'm easily pleased, i guess.
    Alec Empire is playing the Islington Academy with Motor (who are excellent) on 19th November. I don't think his solo stuff compares to ATR but his previous solo show reminded me of Brett Anderson on steroids. which was at least entertaining.
    his early solo stuff (the destroyer, squeeze the trigger) is ace but when he started wanting to be a pop star the wheels came off his little wagon...
    I love squeeze the trigger.
  • natnat
    edited 12:03PM
    Last time I saw Brett Anderson he reminded me of Richard Madeley on speed, which was more disturbing than entertaining. The image remains with me to this day.
    they liked the good mixer! and the sugar thingy on sgr. loved them, they can drink much less than i. does anybody have any 18 year-olds for me to look after?