allotment

edited December 2009 in Local discussion
Does anyone have an allotment or is friends with someone who has one and would like to sublet a bit of to me? I've had allotments before, so I know what's involved, just couldn't handle a whole one again.

Thanks

Comments

• edited 4:19PM
    I'm up on the Parkland Walk and I'm sure I can see either allotments or a very big messy garden. On my left, shortly before Blythwood Rd steps walking from FP end. Didn't know there were any local allotments.
    I had the same realisation the other day. I want one. I think they must be accessed from The Grove off Mount Pleasant Villas
    There are some up near Ali Pali. as you go towards the garden centre.
    I know about those, I was just surprised to see some so nearby. I think you're right Arky, I had a look on Google Maps and that seems to be the access point. Will do some more investigating although I'm sure the waiting list will be about a hundred years long.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Miss Annie- fancy a timeshare on one? Maybe that would boost us up the waiting list.
    Yes! Let's investigate. Not sure about allotment footwear - may have to resurrect the wellies.
    Shouldn't you be inviting Dorothy??
    It seems to be as you'd expect though - nothing in the area.
    @Miss Annie: I'm sure that there must be at least one of your 2,000 pairs of stillettos that you don't mind getting grubby.
    Oh, at last. I'm not on any waiting lists, and before when I got one, it was through visiting sites on a Sunday when their gates were open and asking the secretaries and generally being persistent. I was in the right place at the right time got one after only a few weeks. I had more drive then though. If it was a Stroudgreen.org spin off community group type thing, it might get us up the waiting list it's true. Miss Annie, do we not know a mutual friend who is maybe, maybe leaving London who has one, and who surely would no longer need it. Not sure where it is though. He may have said Brent Cross, which I think is a bit far.
    I'm serious in my interest. I want carrots.
    I have been on the waiting list for a space in The Grove since the middle sages and can only hope that I get one before my legs get too buggered to wield a spade. And I need to do some work in my garden, which I love..........
    You wield a spade with your legs? Impressive.
    @Arkady Perhaps one pair. I want radishes, carrots, spuds, gooseberries and blackcurrants. Oh, and rhubarb. I'll do tomatoes and chillies in my windowboxes at home. This sounds like the beginnings of a good plan. @dorothy Who is it? I think I missed that bit.
    Wow, the Haringey Council website says the Alexandra Park and Grove allotments have a 15 year waiting list!!
  • edited April 2011
    There are also some allotments off <a href="http://goo.gl/maps/jLHJ" target="_blank">Shepard's Hill</a> in Crouch End, behind the circket fields and tennis clubs.

Just planted lots veg in the garden, looking forward to seeing it grow and best of all eaing it in the next couple of months!
    I have to admit, I am rubbish at growing veg.
    This is not allotments but it might be of interest to gardeners without a garden:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/going-green/greenest-borough/innovation_fund/meadow_orchard.htm

http://shepherdscothealinggarden.ning.com/
    @Miss annie, someone you may have met at a birthday dinner recently; Crouch Ender. Sometimes he says he's 'off to the allotment' on facebook/twitter and later says he's 'making Jerusalem artichoke soup or steak with celeriac puree or pork with braised fennel etc.' Always makes me a bit jealous. I think it might be a bit much to say, 'I've heard you're possibly going, now about your stuff?' Need a more subtle approach. Allotments are so hard to come by that people are very reluctant to give them up. I can't be doing with that 15 year waiting list thing though. I think its a silly system. Most people can't handle a whole one, you'd have to be there everyday and also you can't eat all the stuff. People don't really realise that until they've spent a couple of years trying and then given up. It makes far more sense for a group of mates or a family to work one.
    Apparently we're now #108 on the queue for an Islington lotty. No idea how long it's going to take for the 107 in front of us to kick the bucket but we can but hope. Also, there's some allotments on Evershot Road. Does anyone know where they/it are? Google maps offers no help.
    Here is some information. It is fruitless looking for the Evershot Rd allotments as Islington have closed their waiting lists. Have a look at the privately managed plots in community gardens though, apparently this is the way forward. <http://www.islington.gov.uk/Environment/outdoor/parks/allotments.asp>;
  • edited April 2011
    Sometimes you just have to wait for things. I waited nearly four years for my flat and had to attend about 20 meeting during that time. Sometimes you can't just snap your fingers and have everything. Sometimes you can!
    I don't mind waiting if the system is clear and transparent, but allotments don't work like that. The allotment secretary has quite a lot of sway over who gets a tenancy. If you wait for too long you'll just 'wither on the vine'.