The helicopter

edited February 2010 in Local discussion
Does anyone else sort of secretly like the police helicopter? It used to be out all the time about 15 years ago. It did get quite annoying then. Once it came down really low into our garden, I think chasing naughty people. It was so bright it was like daylight. So exciting.

Comments

• edited 6:59AM
    I remember being extremely exciting about a helicopter hovering around the estate we used to live in a few years back. The dominating nature of the noise and relative invincibility of it is rather appealing.

It did seem to be doing a lot of circling around yesterday, didn't see it, but it was getting in the way a bit of our rewatching of the office.
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="" width="320" height="267"><param name="movie" value="" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerMode=embedded" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /></object>
    Whenever I hear the copter, I always think of the tv programmes where it shows it's got an infra-red heat camera that looks inside buildings and makes me feel kind of self conscious.
    There's no secretly about it - I openly like it and getting excited in a kiddie kinda way.

I'm not a good judge of distance and can never really work out how near or far (rather than high) it is. But on more than one occassion walking to or from work (Highbury Park or Dalston Kingsland to SG) I've felt like it's chasing me. I do walk quickly, but not that quickly, and it does do that slow/hovering/circling/changing-it's-mind-where it's-going thing.

Afterward I always try to remember if it was a match day, or somebody-got-killed day.

Ooooh, there is one over Dalston now!
    i saw something on the telly about the police helicopters - they all come from epping forest where they have a secret helipad base
    Laser. A Helicopter Pilot's best friend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7475530.stm