Mike Caffe

edited March 2010 in Local discussion
Does anyone have any info about the developing cafe at FP bus station?

It looks like it might be a greasy spoon rather than a coffee shop, but it's hard to tell because the shutter is down most of the time.

There is a logo of a Mexican man with 'Mike Caffe' written on it.

Comments

• edited 1:27PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LizLiz
    edited 1:27PM
    I think they're still fitting out at the moment - there are usually people in and working on it when I come back about 6.30 in the evening. It doesn't look like it's going to be a greasy spoon - there's a counter area in the back right, tiled walls (nice mix of white, plum and blue shades if you're interested!) and I think they are building some seating areas towards the front. It looks like it will be open quite soon.
    Is it not called Mike's rather than Mike? On the signage the bottom of the e extends up and around to form a little squiggle underneath the name. If it isn't Mike's, then what does Mike mean?
    If it's called Mike's then cafe or indeed caff would be more appropriate.
    @Tallboy and miss annie
    It's definitely Mike not Mike's. The upward curving 'e' remains an 'e' and doesn't become an 's'. My bus stood still for a long time at the lights today and I had the opportunity to observe it in detail!

It might be named in honour of someone called Mike rather than belong to a Mike. For example, 'Castle Cafe' or 'Oak Cafe'... 'Mike Cafe'. Except it's Caffe with two fs.
    Caffe with two fs is the Italian spelling I think - perhaps Mike is short for Michelangelo?
    I hope it's a Mexican cafe. Huevos Rancheros and breakfast burritos is what SG needs.
  • edited March 2010
    I have just Googled Mike Caffe and it appears to be a Turkish business. You have to do a google translation, which gives you a pigeon English explanation.
    It seems that Caffe Mike is an Italian coffee company. So the logo might just be for the brand of coffee (like Lavazza) rather than the name of the cafe.
    Caffe Mike might be Italian. But Mike Caffe is Turkish.
    Perhaps it's short for microphone and it's going to be a much needed karaoke coffee shop.
    Or it's a good old fashioned workers cafe with a Bart Simpson name gag (ie Hugh Jass) Mike Caffe - sounds like My caf
    Mike Hunt?
    Oh JFJ, you never disappoint us.
    It's a slow news day at the office
    What a co-incidence. I was lying in bed last night trying to remember that Porky’s joke and I just couldn't work out the name.
    Hayward Jablome.
  • edited March 2010
    I had to go to Google to dissect that one. I'm much too elementary. Hugh Jass.
    But he's real (and appears to have a habit of writing pieces on this topic, as I remember laughing at one years ago).
    I asked the guvner (I think it was him) when they were hoping to open: tomorrow, Tuesday. Were they going to make an effort with the coffee? Of course. Where are they from? Turkey. Hmm. London Turks are not great at coffee, in my experience, whatever their other merits. We'll see.
    Finally open this morning. Ordered a cappuccino. Couldn't see it priced up on the board so waited to find out how much. Most coffee's under £2. I was charged £2.10. And no chocolate on top. Served in a paper up. Must have been a cheap one because my hands were burning on the bus as I swapped it from one to the other. No armchairs. Lots of wooden chairs. By the time the coffee had cooled down and I got to taste it - disappointed. Quite weak. Also do panini's - all over £4. Not optimistic.
    Sorry, Tallboy. I wrote in the wrong box, and may have acidentally whispered to you. All I said was - disappointing. I'll be giving the place a miss.
    But curiosity got the better of me, so here is my report.

Tallboy is right. Cappuccino is not on the board, which made me suspicious. An oversight, the friendly manageress (?) told me. But she didn't charge me £2.10 - it was £1.90, for me. Still too much, as I sternly told her, but the quality wasn't bad.

Not too hot, or too large, or too watery, it had a good coffee taste, and did come with a sprinkling of choc. A nice touch was one of those classy little chocolate nibbles on the saucer, as well.

I also tackled her about the armchairs. They intend to get some, but haven't found the ones they want yet. And they reckon to have more places on the pavement itself, in front of the veranda. The present chairs are very uncomfortable - I wouldn't want to sit there for more than 10 minutes.

So, all in all, I think there is hope. It'll be great if they get it right, as that area has been utterly dismal for years.