If you want to know, ask a cabby

LizLiz
edited September 2006 in Local discussion
I've decided to start surveying cab drivers about what the area between SGR and Hornsey Road is called. Tonight's verdict: you can call it what you like. Basically, he didn't know, and then told me a long story about he says he lives in Romford but really lives in Rush Green. No idea what that means. Better luck next time maybe.

Comments

• edited 4:55AM
    I was born at Rush Green hospital, and by the power of greyskull I too say I'm from Romford when people ask. The reason is that most people roughly know where Romford is, where as Rush Green, despite giving birth to me, isn't a national landmark.
    It's certainly not Hornsey, as that is up by Hornsey High St.

It's possibly Finsbury Park or Stroud Green.

Other suggestions? Super Upper Islington? East Highgate Slopes? Tollington?
  • LizLiz
    edited September 2006
    I need to continue my survey (sample size of one is a bit small) but I might be coming round to describing it as Stroud Green. When I asked him where he would have taken me if I said Stroud Green, he said SGR. When I asked him where he would have taken me if I'd say FP, he said the top of Blackstock Road. No contest there then.
    Among cabbies, FP hasn't yet shed its "axis of evil" associations, so they tend to think about the south side of the station. I normally ask for Hornsey Road.
    _"Tollington & Stroud"_ Could be a pub name, no even better, could be a local Ale name.
  • edited September 2006
    *"Tollington & Stroud"* sounds like a pair of centre forwards from the 1950s.
    Arsenal could do with them right now. Grey hair, long shorts, pipe and slippers, knack of latching onto something in the 6 yard area. I'd take Tollington or Stroud right now.
  • LizLiz
    edited 4:55AM
    Tonight's vote: Stroud Green (as Finsbury Park is more east). Though he then 'entertainingly' suggested that we could call it land of the sleeping policemen. Ho ho.
    Damn Right. Stroud Green. Stroud Green. Stroud Green. I'm trying to gentrify the value of these domain names!
  • LizLiz
    And another one (it was a late night at work). He wasn't very sure, but I asked for Stroud Green when I got in the cab and he went in the right direction (sometimes they head towards Highbury Corner/Blackstock Road when I say Finsbury Park). And he agreed it was the best description when I asked him. So I'm definitely on the way to being converted.
    So Stroud Green is the best name for Stroud Green? After this, can we challenege the word for Badgers please? I've always felt they're a bit Racoon like and their name should start with an R or be stylised with a double vowel ending.
    i like that. i can just see some old middle England bloke with his green quilted shooting jacket, taking a shot with the shotgun.... _"ruddy radgers..."_
    there wouldn't be anything left of a radger after shooting it with a shotgun. just a puddle of mince.
  • LizLiz
    Moving controversially back to the original subject of this thread, I've had about another three votes for SG and none for FP since I last posted. It's looking like a white wash (and some tasty humble pie for me).
  • edited September 2006
    Looks like Andy got the domain name right afterall. Hey, while we're on domains shouldn't we be hijacking <http://www.stroudgreen.com>; off Lucy to stop her advertising stroudgreen.net instead of us and offering something like [www.stonehousecottage.co.uk](http://whois.co.uk/cart/order.php?domain=stonehousecottage.co.uk&dex=.co.uk&cwaction=check) in return?
    Interesting you should mention that.....
    Also, if you want to start a fight between us, ask who precisely is the legal owner of stroudgreen.com...
    oy! it's my domain name. You just said it would be easier if we bought it through our account. I paid for it!
  • LizLiz
    edited November 2006
    Now, this strand had veered slightly off course, but given that there's a debate raging elsewhere, I had a pretty timely encounter with a cabby this evening. Me: Finsbury Park please. The road I need is off Tollington Park, near Hornsey Road. Cabby: Oh, you mean Stroud Green? Though I'm still having trouble asking for SG when I get in a cab, my survey has been reasonably conclusive so far.