Arsenal Football Club Stadium

edited July 2010 in Local discussion
I walked through the Old Arsenal football Stadium today. Its been converted into flats.
The old Art Deco Stands look magnificent.

It would be amazing to live in the old Home of the most historic and successful football club in London.

Does anyone on here own a flat in the old stadium?

Comments

• edited 8:08AM
    How did you manage to get in? I tried to have a look around but the security weren't having it.
    Has anyone contacted the Relevant Authorities about the developers' broken promise to allow public access/subsequent bullshit excuses about 'drainage'? Personally I couldn't care less about this specific issue - because Arsenal belong in Arsenal, not Highbury - but it would probably be worth taking up if you did want a look.
    my friend lives in the old south stand. you can't get a parking permit from the council as its supposed to be a car free development, but you can a rent a space for thousands of pounds a year from the actual development owners. you're also not allowed any bbq's on the old pitch either... it basically sounds like a nightmare.
    My friend lives in the Arsenal development and they have done a good job on it, the gardens look lovely, that flats are spacious with proper storage and it feels like a really nice place, although rather show-homey. It seems they have rules to try and keep things pristine, like the bbq one and also no washing hung up on your balconys etc. The parking thing is the same with a lot of new developments - same at Hornsey Road Baths, which has also been done nicely. You can get round it, ironically, by calling the council and asking about renting a space on one of the estates - this comes at usual rates. If you want to have a look round Highbury, you aren't meant to be allowed in, but if you wait by one of the pedestrian gates, someone will usually eventually go through and let you in.
  • edited July 2010
    They were supposed to allowed public access right through the stadium weren't they, so you could get to the tube station and Drayton Park BR without having to walk all the way around.

I looked at some flats there 18 months ago, and the proposed path went inches past windows/ground-level balconies. Am sure they thought "hmm we're not selling many of these ground level flats" for obvious reasons, and reneged on the access deal. Did the council pocket much cash from this deal? Unsold flats = less council tax coming in. Am sure they're not complaining.
    I actually just walked in there and had a look around. The gate at the Old Clock End stand is open and seems to be always open.

You can therefore walk through to Highbury Hill.
    Arsenal is a major part of Islington's prestige. Its good they have retained the old stadium.
    A major part of Islington's prestige? I doubt if you asked someone to do word association on 'Islington', you'd get Arsenal mentioned within the first ten. If you started with 'Highbury', maybe.