blackberrying

edited August 2010 in Local discussion
Thought I’d make liqueur rather than crumble with blackberries picked at the weekend. Having failed to find eau de vie at various exclusive offy’s in south London, went to Jacks. Jacks came up trumps as ever, suggested polish pure spirit. His Italian customers use it to make lemoncello. It’s 79.9% vol. Had a sip, which left me rather hoarse. Seems like the sort of drink, which would give a kick to an evening. There’s an instruction on the bottle to only drink in moderation.

Comments

• edited 9:17PM
    My hands have stopped shaking just thinking about that.
    Gosh yes, I've been to Poland and if they advise drinking it in moderation it must be real firewater!
    Oh, is that called Spiritus? Friend used to have some of that in the freezer (it was too alcoholic to freeze) and yes, even as an absinthe fan, it was a bit much.

I had somehow failed to spot until yesterday that, as well as all the blackberries along the Parkland Walk and railway, there's a huge tangle of brambles just sat in isolation in the middle of the park. It looked as if it had already been fairly well picked over, but by short people.
    It is Spiritus. It's distributed from a place in Liverpool Road. Ideal for making liqueur, not too much flavour and very pure, although probably a little strong. Blackberries seem too slimey though. I've steeped some elderberries instead.
  • I went Blackberrying. I got 3…

…and 2 iPhones and a Samsung Android.

Blackberry! Like the phone!

No?

Sod you, then.
    I'm with you @Philistine, but I don't even have one, or an iPhone, come to think of it, so I don't know what I'm even doing on this thread!
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Can I come to your next party, Misscara?
    It's that time again. I was working over in Surrey today and on the way to the studio I have to walk through some woods - there were millions of blackberries. As I was armed with a carrier bag I got a marvellous haul. Apple and blackberry crumble and perhaps blackberry muffins for us!
  • I went blackberry picking along the Parkland Walk a couple of weeks ago and picked a about a kilo. Made lovely crumble!
    Quiet afternoon last week so we sent a few staff out picking in the sunshine, came back proud but scratched to pieces... Look out for our blackberry delights!
    I had some while out in Hampshire at the weekend and they were nowhere near ready - very tart.
    I know someone at the council who says that blackberrying on the parkland walk is illegal and they are going to get someone to patrol and hand out fines. Apparently the 'fruit' belong to the council and it is theft or something.
  • Oh good grief!
    Let's have a blackberrying flash mob!
    OOOh Blackberry and Apple Crumble. served Warm, with Thick, Rich, Clotted Cream. Now this is the Creme de la creme of puddings.
    Not to blow my own trumpet but the crumble was amazing, neither too sweet or too tart. The King of Puddings indeed.
    I'll have some if there any going spare!
  • We have only picked three figs from our tree this year but there are loads ready to ripen. If you get bored of jam try them in salads with goats cheese and a honey/oil dressing. This is turning into a very WI thread! Any news on our pack Miss Annie?
    Coincidentally, I had that fig/goat's cheese combo for the first time last night, and can confirm that it is yummy.
    Blackberries in Cookham cemetery sweet as nectar.
  • edited August 2011
    Can anyone make elderberry anything? Lots in my neighbour's garden.
    Elderberry wine tends to be utterly lethal in terms of after-effects. This may be because the makers have not asked permission of the Old Lady of the Elder Trees, as one should when using any elder product. Then again, it may be simple chemistry.
    My grandad used to talk to The Old Lady of the Elders. He had lovely long chats with his bees too.
  • AliAli
    edited 9:17PM
    I have given up on the brambles on Parkland Walk as they are not as good as they were a few weeks ago. I have been making jam using fruit from £1 bowl man situated at the old National petrol station that is now the car wash at the Station. I quite like his Turkish rendition of an East End vegi seller (luvely juberly fruit only one pound a bowl !) Just finished scoffing a bit of delicious Courgette and Chocolate cake with the Courgettes from him. Got the idea from the big bake off last week. Is the Stapleton Produce show that was discussed at the start of the spring happening ? I was wondering if any one would have enter on the vegi front as weather has been so bad. The only thing we have