Milton Keynes - better than Stroud Green?

edited October 2010 in Local discussion
Just wondering if any has ever lived in Milton Keynes or grew up there? Does it have anything to recommend it?

Comments

• edited 12:31AM
    My brother & his family live there. The answer to this question is..... "no". Although if you were to ask him, he would say we all live in Hell and we're actually all the spawn of Satan.
    Just last night I was told by a Milton Keyneser that the relative lack of choices as to how to spend your time can make life easier, if you're the type who struggles with making decisions. With only one theatre around all you have to make up your mind about is whether or not to see the current play. You have to be that type though.
    Its good if you like roundabouts. The zonal planning means you have to have a car to do anything. The snowdome is quite good if yo like that sort of thing and there are lots of lakes and leisure areas. It was until recently, one of the fastest growing cities in Europe. I doubt that's a good thing though.
    I grew up around 10 miles down the road so know it well. SG and MK are not comparable at all, both have pros and cons. Ultimately its very odd. It developed off the back of London overspill, so a large population are ex londoners, but at the same time it developed as a centre of commerce and so has attracted a large number of economic migrants. Housing ranges from stuff built 30-40 years ago that is already falling down, to the latest eco properties in the country. There is lots and lots of business there, both UK and international, and is only 45 mins from London so has a big commuter community. From a cultural perspective, it comes bottom of the league. It has no heart, no soul, endless chain bars/restaurants etc. If you were looking to start family life, i'd recommend it. Affordable housing, lots of space, not too much crime, ok schools and quite nice countryside on the doorstep. You're an hour from brum, 2 from Lpool, 2 from Leeds, 30 mins from Luton airport. Its probably one of the more practical places to live in the country, but thats not why i choose where to live! SG offers diversity, open minds, reasonably affordable housing by London standards, and access to some of the most beautiful parks and walks in the country. MK will bore you immediately, but you'll become accustomed to it and maybe start to enjoy it as you realise the pace of life is welcome. SG will offer you something new and positive every day and you won't get bored, but perhaps isn't the best place on offer for family life. Just an opinion.

Most of the villages outside of MK are very nice and would be a good alternative if you couldn't face the roundabouts, baratt homes and retail parks. Woburn is one of my favourites.
    That's about on the money @Brodiej - and yo can dump cars to heart's content there!
    Funnily enough, i've been given a company car this week, so my old one's heading up to my folks driveway this weekend! Private off road parking you'll be pleased to hear.
    we-hey - good for you! just keep an eye on that moss!