where shall I buy my Christmas tree from?

edited November 2010 in Local discussion
I was hoping to use christmastreeman.co.uk for a live tree rental but it seems he isn't trading this year. Does anyone know of anything similar that covers Stroud Green?

Otherwise is there somewhere reliable to buy a tree locally? I have always bought from outside the florist on SGR but the one I got last year was rubbish. All the needles fell off in the first week and I was left with something looking like a prop from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Comments

• edited 1:29PM
    Surely it's a bit early to know what's going to be available this year and whose stock will be any cop?
    Possibly I am getting a bit ahead of myself. I am assuming that if people are visiting the same place every year then the stock is likely to be of a consistent standard.
    But your own experience last year disproves that theory!
    The offy next to the florist is who we use every year and they've been consistently good. We thought about going Homebase but then decided it'd be too much of a faff to get it back up Endymion.

Oh look, we could have all talked about this in the pub last night.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2010
    I usually buy a tree from the big greengrocers opposite Fitness First On Seven Sisters Rd - it might be called Michael's I think? They always have a good selection of sizes, and they are not ridiculously expensive. I get quite excited about Christmas and put my tree up on the first weekend in December, If you are worried about the needles dropping, spraying your tree with hairspray before you dress it helps to keep them on for a bit longer. Doesn't have to be Elnett, any cheapo brand will do.
    The off-licence and the florist next to the post office on SGR transform themselves into Christmas tree emporiums come the first of December. They're quite cheap and do potted and chopped ones...
  • AliAli
    edited 1:29PM
    Ah that is Stroud Green Forest
    The best place I've found is in the car par of the Alwyne pub at the junction of Blackstock road. They have a very good selection. You should always keep you tree watered and a small drop of bleech (yes bleech) in the pot helps save off any infections. I bought a very small live one last year and its in a pot in the garden ready to be decorated again. Very sustainable...and it gets bigger every year!
    As a youngster we always used to plant them in the garden after Christmas but sadly flat-living doesn't allow for such activities. I like the look of the seller at the Alwyne and it seems for every tree sold they donate to plant a new one in Ethiopia. http://www.christmasforest.co.uk/
    Just to make sure that, after all these years, they definitely know it's Christmas time.