Who likes pie?

edited January 2011 in Local discussion
I'm a northerner. I like pie. My favourite happens to be steak and cheese.

Please tell me where the pies are.

Comments

• edited 6:34AM
    The chipper does Pukka Pies.
    Chaps and Dames in Tollington Park is diversifying into pies and although it uses a microwave it still manages quite good quality produce. (I made a joke about Sweeny Todd's pies and got a look of dead-eyed hostility). Still it was tasty and cheaper than Gregs.
  • edited January 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've not been to the Ginger Pig, but the Windmill near Saville Row has pies that provoke tears of joy. Fullers ales too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Pig's Trotter pie and haggis on the same day is hardcore! Pie Minister pies are nice, they used to have a stand near the Truman Brewery, not sure if it's still there but I seem to recall that they sell them in Selfridges.
    Peters = 8/10
    Simply the best pie available at your average price point. Regularly a 2 for £2 at Sainsos Green Lanes. Utilises its Welsh heritage to create a pastry taste sensation.

Hollands = 5/10
    The football stadia choice hailing from Baxenden, Lancashire. Recently had a chicken balti pie at Elland Road home of the mighty Leeds United, and i'm sorry to say it was gross. The match was a success, with LU beating Bristol City btw.

Pukka = 3/10
    You know what you're getting with a Pukka (or do you?). All sauce, and dubious meat content make this one an emrgency fish or battered sausage replacement only. Can you trust something described as a "Meat" pie?

Matador pie from Waitrose i had the other day = 9/10
    Purchased in Crouch End, unbelievably poncy and overpriced,....i'm sorry to say this pie was outstanding. Offering up a tasty mix of braised beef, sherry, butter beans and chorizo....i had my taste of spain with a English twist all for £2.49

Chaps & Dames own brand = 0/10
    Vitor tried to upsell me a pie made from hair trimmings and wax. Unfortunately when placed in the microwave, it melted.
    Misscara, you might be right. London breweries are all the same though, surely?
    Shorts Pies in Shawlands, Glasgow. With baked beans. At my gran's. Watching Moon Cat.
    It might be another Peter...there are many

This one was from welsh wales
    Peter's Food Service Ltd, Bedwas House Industrial Estate, Bedwas, Caerphilly CF83 8XP
    The Silver Bullet have a hot counter with pieminister pies in it, if you're feeling peckish, or even if you're not.
    Do they do guinness and condensed milk punch too?
    Is it Pepper & Spice on Balls Pond Road? I pass it quite often, and it is always incredibly busy, so have always assumed that they must be harbouring some delicious secret.
    Am mighty pleased to see there are pie fans in SG.

Misscara - I love beans and gravy. brrrrrrrrap.
  • IanIan
    edited 6:34AM
    Wrights Pies, from Stoke-on-Trent. None finer. NONE. Like our Oatcakes, we don't sell them to foreigners so you probably don't know how brilliant they are.
    Tom here from The Silver Bullet - sorry, but we don't do pies any more...booo.

We found that people arrived here after having had their fill of pies & other foodstuffs, so weren't tempted by our Pieminister pies, even though they are pretty yummy.

We're hopefully putting a kitchen in the venue during this year, so keep an eye out for another good quality food place coming your way to SGR/FP!
    @ Misscara - I've just checked out the Ginger Pig website. Looks amazing! Can't believe I've lived in London so long and never heard of it! Thanks for the tip.
    Thomas the baker and cooplands, that does it for me. Short drive up the m1/a1
    There were some excellent pies at the Ally Pally farmers' Market today. I spoke to Ron the organiser who wanted a pitch in SG and I suggested Charter Court corner _ so keep an eye out.
    I can vouch for the patties from Peppers & Spice on Balls Pond Road. They are always busy, with queues outside of a lunchtime, but they do serve quickly, so you don't reallky have to wait long

There is also Kays just around the corner on Kingsland Road, although I've never had their patties.

The Polish shop nearly opposite Peppers & Spice has a huge slection of smoked sausages too.

Mmmm, time for lunch!
  • AliAli
    Tom from The Silver Bullet thought I should mention that although you no longer do pies you are advertising that you are on your window ! Could you also sweep up all the cigarette buts that are outside the bullet on the pavements it was looking very messy this morning ?
  • KazKaz
    The Victoria Stakes pub at the bottom of Muswell Hill does pie. Not tried one though. But I think they do a pie and two pints for 10 quid on a Monday night. At least they used to, not been for a while.
    I went into Victoria Stakes for the first time on Sunday. Very nice local ale, though the food looked expensive. Noticed the pie & pints deal too- I intend to check it out soon.