Boulangerie Bon Matin

Comments

• edited 3:56AM
    Neil If you did tea in the afternoons and resumed doing breakfast I would be tempted to permanently move in.
  • Is there anywhere I can go to take a coffee course to learn to distinguish good coffee from bad coffee? I'm completely bewildered by all the comments about good and bad coffee here - I am clearly missing something. I thought the coffee at BBM tasted OK and pretty much exactly like all other cups of coffee I've ever had in a coffee shop anywhere - coffee-like, warm, wet, bitter and tasting of coffee.

Perhaps deep down I don't much like coffee but I keep drinking the stuff becauser so many people go on about it - then I go and find myself drinking stuff described as 'like dishwater'. I'm really confused.

But on the other hand why should I care?
    I didn't think I was particularly fussy in terms of coffee which is why I ordered one from BBM despite all the comments on here - I was expecting not to really notice the difference between a good or bad cup. It was so bad though that I quickly realised why so many people had commented - it was luke warm and the only way I can describe the taste is like you had made an instant coffee out of the tap with only half a spoon of coffee granules - and this was supposed to be a latte! it didn't taste of milk at all, just weak, warm coffee.

Neil - I think the idea of a pop up tea room is a great idea. I make hand-made cards (and have quite a few with a cupcake/tea theme), so if you were doing something for a charity I'd gladly donate some to be sold on the day. My baking leaves a bit to be desired though so I won't offer to bake a cake!
    @Krappy

<a href="http://www.londonschoolofcoffee.com/">Barrista Training</a>

Quite good apparently, got a friend a gift voucher for a 1-day course.
    No different from any other hobby/interest I guess.

I think you missed the boat though, beer / micro brewing is what the hipsters are into now.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Neil's suggestion of a pop up tea room with donated cakes to raise profits for charity would be a great initiative for our WI group! What do you think future WI-ers?
  • Are we anywhere near officially forming as a group yet? It would be good to meet and look at the possibilities.
  • edited December 2017
  • Sharybo & Misscara,

Should we start a new thread for the Stroud Green Afternoon Tea Pop Up (snappier name should be first priority). I see it very much as a community thing with season just providing the venue (happy to donate tea and coffee and also obviously have a few staff around to wait on) Actually one of my part timers is currently writing a business plan to start a tea rooms so I've already strong armed her into helping co-ordinate things, good rehearsal for her. The tearooms Stoke Newington is a nice benchmark muse, I'm sure we can pull something like that off for a few hours.

Keep your eye's peeled I'LL START A NEW THREAD IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN SET LIGHT TO (nothing meant by the switch to capitals, just fat thumbs) the local, collective imagination and get things rolling.
    Sounds great. @Neil - Is your colleague planning to open her tea rooms on Stroud Green Road?! And if not please can you persuade her to do so?!
    How about something like High Tea in Highgate? A mix of mostly tea and scrumptious cakes/scones etc with a little bit of retail - vintage style craft or a couple of tables of gorgous vintage clothing,jewellery, bags and so on? Would people consider period style attire in keeping with theme, and perhaps you could play appropriate music - big band style? This would be tremendous fun.
    High Tea in Highgate was a bit of a disappointment (as a male). Went with a friend who was keen to try, I was a bit, yeah ok, whatever etc.

The scones are less than medium sized (I'd even consider them small). The clotted cream is in little portion control tubs. Seemed like a total cop-out.

The tea is nice though, but the scones? Meh.

I can see all the knick-knacks on the shelves give it an air of home-spun goodness, but I want bigger scones, dammit.
    Cafe Vintage on Mountgrove road scores on charm and portions.
    My dream tea room is a Alice's Tea Party (the original, Upper West Side one), in New York. Google it if you like. Graeme, If Misscara and I are doing some baking I think that you can rest assured that portions will not be small!
    Hi Neil
    Yes a new thread is a good idea - misscara and miss annie perhaps we could meet up as I'd love to help if I can? (I haven't been around the last few Thursdays as I'd planned on popping along to knitting to say hello)
    I don't go to knitting these days (as I have no cash for drinking!) and I sew, so I can't take my projects, but yes, it would be great to meet up to discuss.
    I'm around tomorrow so that sounds like a good plan x
    I've been meaning to come back so will try to come tomorrow night too - have decided everyone is going to get homemade Christmas presents this year (probably knitted dishcloths). Are you still in the Stapleton?
    Aargh, I can't come now - I have to work. I will come next week. I will look on Ravelry for more patterns. Yours sounds great! I love a knitted dishcloth. Apart from being the only thing I can make, they are so brilliant to use.
    I have paid my final visit to BBM. They barely even acknowledge you and when they do, they are the most sullen and unwelcoming in all of Stroud Green. And it's so slow, considering how many staff there are. And the baked beans in my veggie breakfast had been cooked on the microwave's molten lava setting and now I have blisters all over the inside of my mouth. And...and...and... I have been there several times and each one has been disappointing. Going to stick to Front Room and our many other delightful and non-poncey cafes in future.
  • edited October 2011
    BBM may indeed offer overpriced food, crap coffee and indifferent service - according to the cafe gourmands who haunt this site - but it is an attractive space, an appealing environment and, overall, an enhancement to Stroud Green Road. And actually I disagree about the staff being surly. I shall continue to use it.