woodfall park street fayre

edited May 2011 in Local discussion
Walking off down to the John Jones jumble sale this morning and what do I find??? street party /event being set up in Woodfall Road by The Pilion Trust (No idea who they are but says all proceeds gong to working with vunerable and excluded people- could link to the Camp Tesco link perhaps!))
but proper big stage and music kit and they have just started playing. sounds great, am going to nip round the corner for a look.

Comments

• edited 3:16AM
    oh and it says on the leaflet I took that it runs from 11 to 6 today.
    Well, that's a coincidence. I have just left the Camp Tesco site, where I have been fulminating self-righteously for hours, and was wondering crossly what all that noise was, round the corner from where I live. If their music (which DOES sound rather good, although it's not at all my cup of tea) is in aid of 'vulnerable and excluded people', I'd better grin and bear it, hadn't I? Better still, go off and play recorder all afternonn, which is what I was going to be doing anyway. Stop laughing, you in the back row! The recorder is a real instrument, I'll have you know!
    Yes its got a bouncy castle for kids and stalls and facepainting. Im in Moray and I can hear the music now and it sounds really great. I have a friend selling lovely handmade cards there in case anyone fancies a splurge.
    I wish this wasn't outside my window or that I wasn't working night shifts just now.
  • IanIan
    edited 3:16AM
    That's [quite a website](http://www.thepiliontrust.co.uk/index.htm) they have there.
    I walked passed them setting up on Saturday, but was heading off to Hove to see my sister for the weekend, so couldn't stick around to see how te day progressed.

Did anyone know in advance that this was happening? Seems odd that no one on SG.org promoted it or even mentionned it?
    we live on moray just around the corner from woodfall and not a dicky bird or note even. organisers said they had sent around flyers but we didn't get one - which is a shame as they put a lot of effort in on the day with all the little canopies, selling stuff, face painting, drinks, food bouncy castles and the stage/sound system.

We popped around the corner from time to time as the bands sounded really good but at most they were playing to 15 people. Shame. Really needed someone in charge of local marketing.
    I didn't know anything about it either & its something I would have been interested in checking out... o'well guess I gotta wait for the Wray Crescent park festival on June 18th :)
    That website is blinding!

I missed this too, a shame as I like a fayre. When is there going to be a nice old fashioned fete with guess the weight of the cake, tombolas and the confusion game with the wire & loop & buzzing noises etc. ? I want to be able to win a goldfish that will die 2 weeks later.
    My parents still have a goldfish that my little brother won at a fete when he was about 5. He is now 19. The goldfish (Jemima) is huge and gets really excited when she sees anyone approach the bowl.
    That must be some kind of record.
    Are you sure someone doesn't just keep replacing the goldfish?

Mine always ended up floating lop sided with a weird bit of mould on their sides.
    She is definitely the same Jemima The Fish! She is very pale with only a few orange patches. Unless...have my parents been BLEACHING a succession of FISH??
    My mum also has goldfish that my sister won at the fair, they are well over twenty years old now. It's quite common for them to survive in ponds but it's amazing that she's done so well in a bowl. Vivat Jemima!
    Whoever organised it should be sacked. I doubt if anyone involved in it lives anywhere near Woodfall road, and surely if you're going to take over a street the first thing you would do is consult the residents? I'm sure there are some talented people in the road who would have loved to get involved. We got a flyer through the door a couple of days beforehand - I think that's downright rude, and surely not enough notice to give someone that you're going to set up a stage and loud pa right outside their bedroom window!

From what I saw, most of the bands were really good, but there only seemed to be a handful of people watching them. I think it could have been a great event if anyone had known about it. With more notice we would certainly have invited loads of friends over and had a bbq or something.

If they had to pay to hire all that stage and pa equipment, then with such a poor turnout I seriously doubt if they actually made any profit for their good cause.
  • Good Evening Guys<div><br></div><div>My name is Howard and I was the original organizer. The street fayre and it's community legacy were all part of my college project and placement with a local charity 'The Pilion Trust'. </div><div><br></div><div>Since passing and spending four successful years with them I have taken my experience on to set up a new social enterprise centred around community events. </div><div><br></div><div>Because the Woodfall Park Fayre 2011 was my project I am really keen to continue this as a regular annual event and keep the legacy alive.</div><div><br></div><div>It is entirely possible that this could be achieved around May/June this year and be entered into the growing Islington diary of local community events. </div><div><br></div><div>I have some resources and innovative new ideas that could make this an extremely fun and inclusive Fayre. It would be great if I could form a planning committee from the residents of the surrounding road/s.</div><div><br></div><div>If anyone on this site or page has any positive ideas or input it would be amazing if they could contact myself my secretary Chris on 07459 220 846 or 07534151895 or alternatively streetsystemsoundz@gmail.com </div><div><br></div><div>Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/streetsystemsoundz/</div><div><br></div><div>Don't delay folks, May/June is just around the corner</div><div><br></div><div>Warm regards,</div><div><br></div><div>Howard.</div>