Film: Dreams of a Life

edited January 2012 in About this site
Saw this at the Tricyle in Kilburn this weekend. Its a docu-drama about Joyce Vincent, a popular 38 year old women found dead in her Wood Green flat after 3 years. When they found her, her tv was still on. The story made the news a few years ago for obvious reasons, but also because no-one could understand how it could have been allowed to happen. Relatives, friends, council employees....no-one knew. I'd strongly recommend you go and see it. It is very sad, very moving and might make you call your friends and family if you haven't done so in a while. It does contain a cameo from Lynne Featherstone. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1819513/ ****This is not a date movie. I repeat this is not a date movie****

Comments

• It is an excellent film, I agree. I recommend you see it too. <div><br></div><div>There are lots of shots of Wood Green shopping centre, but did you spot the Park Tavern (the pub on Tollington Park/Charteris) too? I'm pretty sure it's that pub in it.</div>
  • One Sunday about a year ago I saw a film crew outside the Park Tavern. It must have been that!
  • <DIV id=colmain> <DIV id=content> <DIV id=content_sleeve> <DIV class=storytext> <H1>Tenant lay dead in flat for one year</H1> <P class=byline><SPAN class=date>13 January 2012</SPAN> | <SPAN class=author>By <A href="http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/alex-wellman/578.bio">Alex Wellman</A> </SPAN></P> <DIV class=section_twocolumn> <DIV class=section_column1> <DIV class=standfirst> <P>A tenant lay dead in his housing association flat for up to a year until his remains were discovered by electricians.</P></DIV> <P>Nelton Thomas, who was in his 80s, was discovered dead in his Sanctuary Housing flat in Alfred House on the Kingsmead estate, Hackney, just before midday on Wednesday 11 January.</P> <P>Electricians had entered his home to install an electricity meter when they discovered his skeletal remains and called police.</P> <P>Officers said the death was not being treated as suspicious and enquiries were being undertaken to find his next of kin.</P> <P>Sanctuary Housing said Mr Thomas was in full receipt of hosuing benefit which had continued to be paid and that it had tried on a number of occasions to make contact with the tenant without success.</P> <P>A spokesperson said: ‘Our housing officer spoke to neighbours, a local hospital and the local authority. We also involved the police as we have no legal powers to enter the property.</P> <P>‘It seemed probable that Mr Thomas had left the area and in November we applied for a possession order. The court date for possession was set for next month.   </P> <P>‘We were very saddened to learn of his death and hope Mr Thomas can now be laid to rest with the dignity he deserves.’</P></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>
  • <P>does anyone know what haringey or islington councils have done or are doing to stop this happening? how can a council employ a housing association that are so useless that they won't enter a man's flat and leave him for one year?Despite knowing that the man was not replying to them? What are Hackney council using council tax for? </P> <P>it really makes me angry that hackney council are so useless that they have allowed this to happen.</P> <P>the council sends out propoganda news letters about how brilliant they are.this was a black man left for one year in their sanctuary housing association flat in hackney.</P> <P>why couldn't the council just get a locksmith to get the door open and have a look inside - they knew man was elderly </P> <P>sounds like a good film brodiej.  </P>
  • <P>I googled "Joyce Carol Vincent";and according to MP Lynne Featherstone's blog,following the very sad death of Joyce Carol Vincent,Haringey council changed the rules so that once a year every social housing tenant had to be visited in person by the council.</P> <P>I wonder if Hackney Council will now do the same? </P> <P>There is a good Guardian newspaper article about Joyce Carol Vincent.</P>