[...]

Comments

• Chicago beats New York, hands down. But, I won't compare either to London.
  • <p>London is the best city in the world for all of the reasons that ADGS mentions. San Francisco is the second best. </p><p> </p>
  • I agree with Miss Annie, having lived in both London and San Fran.
  • To be fair, I think what I was actually misquoting/misremembering is that many/most surveys of such things rate New York City and London as the most important "world cities" (usually in that order) - although such things do of course depend very much on the criteria used.<br><br>But this is more about them being the most important financial and business centres then it is about them being the best places to live.<br><br>SF did seem like a nice place when I visited it.<br>
  • edited March 2012
    I'm a little late to the party, but... are you fucking kidding me?! We live on Woodstock Road, so this festival will be in our back yard. TFL is encouraging people to work from home during the Olympics. I was actually considering it, but this would make it painful. Unless the organisers of Jamaica Village want to pay for our double glazing, I'm totally against this.<br>
  • <P>I thought this might be a free event considering how long it's on for, something to take a stroll along to when you felt like it but it appears to be ticketed. That's a big negative for me as it will deny locals access to a big portion of the park for over a week </P> <P> </P>
  • AliAli
    edited February 2012
    <P>I think they can only charge a max of £10, Ally Plally has the Dutch party</P> <P> </P> <P>Stop being so grumpy it is a one off</P>
  • So is the Diamond Jubilee Ali but there are loads of people moaning about that, and the Queen costs less than the blessed Olympics. And we get an extra day off to celebrate.
  • Did anyone get the flyer thru de door about the sound checks and catering plans? It does sound quite a big event. Very lively I should imagine with the reggae nites and kids sessions. I'm looking forward to it. Chang
  • I haven't received that flyer - just a letter from the Lib Dems saying that while the festival itself will last for 10 days, the southern area of the Park will actually be out of commission for public use for FOUR WEEKS!!
  • <P>Bump...</P> <P>Just seen on Harringay Online that the planned Jamaica Village festival has fallen through - funding problems.</P> <P><A href="http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/jamaica-village-falls-through">http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/jamaica-village-falls-through</A></P>;
  • So this Dutch village in Ally Pally. Pickled Herring all round?
  • Woohoo! Brilliant news. We were just about to buy plane tickets to get the hell away from Finsbury Park for the duration of the festival. <br>
  • I was surprised they cancelled it entirely; if funding's a problem, I'd have thought they might just make it (a lot) shorter. And I was looking forward to sitting in the garden and singing along with Jimmy Cliff. But overall, glad I don't have to soundproof our entire plot!
  • Is it pickled herring?   Thought it was salted and soused, but not really pickled.
  • It's a real shame this is off. Would have brought some life to a quite dull suburban area for the Olympics which we really need I luv that music, can't understand all the objectors. Yes, the Ganga gangs probably would be annoying and smelly but it did have a sporting focus which is good for da local youth. Can we do our own Jamaican day with a few pineapples and bob Marley wigs? I've got a jimmy cliff cd which was my sisters . Chang be
  • @ChangN4N6 - You can't understand all the objectors?! You can't understand why we don't want to listen to reggae for 14 hours a day? You can't understand people wanting to work from home without the distraction of a festival in their back yards?<br><br>I don't know how else to explain it to you. Maybe I should put a stereo outside your window on full blast. I don't have any reggae, but Unaesthetic does have an extensive collection of industrial and noise. I'll give it a day before you start thinking of ways to take your own life.<br>
  • well ppls are allowed a bit of live music once or twice ayear surely? and why work from home ?- that's asking for trouble if you live next to an entertainment site. if you go to an office then you get more variety and if you dont happen to like the music you get a break from it and the better stuff (ie better artists) are played in the evning anyway. and yo have the bonus of being able to invite friends round for a party and have 'live' music nearby. they will envy you for it. simples. chang
  • edited April 2012
    I hear the patter of tiny troll feet over the horizon ... start putting the food away now people!
  • I don't live next to an entertainment site. I live next to a park. I can see how you might get confused.
  • <p>if u read up on it, you will find Finsbury Park has always been  an entertainment centre for londoners who wanted a drink and a shag. the park bit was not so important.  ppl used to escape the smoke to come up here in early victorian days when it was less build up (help me someone) and there were tea shops, kids parties and quite likely drum and bass. it was known for it. not that i am saying a nice bit of peace and snoozing is not nice from time to time under the branches wilth nice person (like u i imagine) but you have to face facts you are living next to a international entertainment site eg sex pistols, jimmy clift, ken livingstone, madness, oasis, bob dylan, steps. </p><p> </p><p>chang</p>
  • That's where the current bid when wrong, no Jimmy Cliff...............<br>
  • I don't trust people that don't like reggae.
  • I don't like reggae.....<br><br>...I love it.<br>
  • edited April 2012
  • <p>I don't like it I'm afraid, I find it jarring. And the louder it is the more I dislike it.</p><p>I do like cricket though.</p>
  • Let people have music festivals.
  • We should do our own music festival! I can do Fur Elise and the Planets on the flute and the chords of Mull of Kintyre on the guitar. Anyone else?<br>
  • Whatever happened to the Crouch End Music Festival?