Meet new friends

edited February 2012 in Local discussion
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><div>Hello! I'm a 23 year old female who have lived in London, Stroud Green for a year now and love this area with all the local pubs and cafés. </div><div>But I would like to meet some new friends that live in this area. I've been looking at some webpages to find more friends but its difficult, </div><div>many of them is just dating sites and I'm not interested in that. Do you guys have any suggestions? </div><div>I've seen that it's a knitting group around here and a WI (don't really understand that), so how does it works with these groups, is it any age limit? :)</div><div>I'm thankful for any suggestions, and maybe its someone here who wants to go for a coffee or a pint? Send me a mail here in that case!</div><div>Julia</div></font>

Comments

• Hello Clementine.<div><br></div><div>There's the book club too, and Transition Finsbury Park, and some quite lively churches. Others will have more suggestions, and there are no age limits anywhere as far as I know. </div>
  • Hi Julia. <span style="font-size: 10pt; ">There were chess players meetings, an attempt to organise a photographers club, and also a full bodied vintage market held regularly. Have you searched around your hobbies/interests? If you are a crafty person it may work very well. Have you tried MeetUp? </span>
  • Julia- depends on what you are looking for company-wise but St Marks is good for middle class locals with nice kids, Sugar lounge is a bar to meet charming ppl looking for discussion and up for s laugh (like me!) , White Lion pub is for not charming ppl looking to moan and get moody (so avoid I would say) Fonthill pub is good to meet sports fans and sporty types (specially sat afternoon), snow White dry cleaners can be romantic in the week. A good first bet is Park Theatre when that opens. Good luck. Chang
  • Knitting group meets on Thursdays in the Stapleton, from about 8pm. We try to get the big round table in the front part. WI meets second Tuesday of the month. I can't remember the venue, but others on here will know. There's a website: http://www.stroudgreenwi.webs.com/ <br><br>There's no age limit for either. If you can't knit and want to learn, do come along to the group - lots of very experienced knitters to give you a hand!<br>
  • edited February 2012
    <div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><div>Thank you all for your answers! I will definitely look up the "meetup" and yes I do have some hobbies like photographing and I love vintage markets so i will have my eyes open for that.</div><div><br></div><div>I think knitting is fun as well, might come by some Thursday and try it, maybe bring a friend so i don't feel totally lost :)</div><div><br></div><div>Well I just look for someone around my age who is social and outgoing, live around here and want to meet new friends and up for a coffee or a drink. I think i'm more in to fullback, thank you anyway.</div></font></div>
  • Hi Clementine, on a local level the WI is a women and community focused organisation, and we also support nationally-organised campaigns. We meet monthly, as @Idoru has said, on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, 7.30pm at The Hideaway, Ennis Rd N4. Sometimes we have speakers, sometimes we do things - e.g. in March, one of our members will talk to us about the Olympics Local Leaders initiative and we will discuss what we might do in celebration of London 2012, and in April we'll be making chocolates. Do have a look at the website & come along on 13th March if you fancy it. Our e-mail is <A href="mailto:stroudgreenwi@yahoo.co.uk">stroudgreenwi@yahoo.co.uk</A> - drop us a line if you'd like more info!
  • <p>Hello</p><p>I have met some really great people and lovely friends through this forum, I'm sure you will too. </p><p>There is occasionally a vintage market in the Stapleton and some really good craft/vintage markets in Crouch End and Highgate. A member of the W.I. is a designer/maker/crafter and runs an amazing business doing all kinds of interesting things. She sometimes runs workshops locally where you will meet like-minded folk if you are into crafty stuff.</p><p>There is no age limit for the W.I. and we are still quite a new branch so it's a great time to join. You may have heard of some of the new wave of urban W.I.'s like Shoreditch Sisters - we may not be quite as 'East London hipster' as them but it's certainly not fuddy-duddy or boring!</p><p>If you get on well with kids, have lots of energy and have one spare evening a week you could volunteer as a leader for the local Brownies or Guides. It's great fun.</p><p>Good luck and welcome to Stroud Green.</p>
  • What happened to the photographers club?<br><br>
  • Welcome to SG. I like the Stapleton Tavern generally. Slightly less family vibe than the Old Dairy and they have some great ales at the moment.<br><br>I hope you find the locals friendly and welcoming :)<br><br>
  • Hi Clemantine. We met in the Faltering Fullback the other evening - you were just off to Fabrizios. I have been wondering for a while about starting a Stroud Green Theatre Group to go to the Finsbury Park Theatre about once a month or so. They have an N4 Residents discount on Tuesday nights, Maybe go and see 'Shutters' next week, then write it up for stroudgreen.org and see if anyone is interested? What do you think?<br>
  • We are having a sg.org bbq on the 16th you are more than welcome.
  • Hello IQ83, I am moving to the area next week and really look forward to live in of Moray Road and discover all the nice cafés and bars of Stroud Green. I would be very interested in joining the theatre group if possible. Are you going to a play anytime soon? And how do you claim the discount for tickets? Cheers, Dieuwer