What do you need in Stroud Green?

Comments

• <p>there are already a couple of bakers! we need someting new eg A SPORTS BAR. Home was ok but never changed its stock. perhaps because this place in the week when most of us are at work cutting open cats or teaching kids (similar), the only customers are ppl with no money smokin roll ups. So it is a short window to actually sell stuff in? Economic reality. The yummie mummies of crouch end are paid for by their lawyer husbands (I know cos I put their unwanted Xmas pets 'to sleep' in my vets practice every week, usually while their badly behaved kids play on the x box ). And there aint many of them rich lawyers round here.</p><p> </p><p>ps re cinema - the Park theatre could do films on sunday?  get chrisn4 to programme a few slasher movies.</p><p>Nite nite</p><p>Chang</p>
  • Although I don't agree with Chang in that for most of us work is cutting open cats, I do agree that the key to success is maximising the 'short window' that you need to make sales to pay the rent and rates and that a haberdashery or a shoe shop will struggle on SGR whereas a food/drink place with a diverse offering for long hours - breakfast to late - will do well and will last. <div><br></div><div>@mirandola - i take your point, but a potential financial problem with seasons is that it isn't really open for long enough each day.  it would necessarily be more profitable, and probably popular, if it did a decent and relatively cheap breakfast/brunch/lunch and/or coffee trade.  Taking as much daytime trade in an area where there aren't many offices and therefore little lunchtime customers is key to long term success.  you can still have a very upmarket offering as well as differentiating with lower prices and cheaper products to gain more custom</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2012
    A pasty shop?   Seriously, a good basic bakery like they have in Germany on every street, but one will do here.  I agree with someone above, a Robert Dyas style hardware store. 
  • @Romcorn I'd like a bakery. <br><br>Boulangerie Bon Matin, which I guess you are referring to as 'new one opened at the Stroud Green /Tollington Pk' isn't really a bakery despite the French claim in its name. It's a fancy coffee shop.<br><br>What people keep referring to on here, is somewhere you can buy good fresh bread in all its forms (and preferably  a sausage roll). A bit like Gail's in Crouch End, but without the wallet-busting pricing.<br>
  • <p>But Papa, Boulangerie does sell fresh bread in all its forms and cakes to. So does tesco which bakes every day, and there is that funny place next to Nandos which does custard tarts etc. Sausage rolls are now subject tothe pasty tax so try a kebab. all i am saying is if we get another bakery one of the existing ones might close as it is overcrowded market. a SPORTS BAR would have no competition and would be packed morning noon and night and a NEW ATTRACTOIN for the youth of stroud green.</p><p> </p><p>chang</p>
  • Could you stock Annie Sparkles' things? 
  • Chang - just go to Rowans.
  • I think a gift place would struggle. Home never got the volume of traffic it needed to be sustainable and could never find a product mix of cards/glassware/doormats that paid the bills. If it was in Crouch End or Angel, it would still be there. I still think a really good wine shop would do well, as would a proper tapas place. A niche sports shop (like a bike shop or a running shop) might also do well. Obviously a cinema would be great.<div><br></div><div>So if my list goes running shop > tapas restaurant > wine shop > cinema, I realise that I'm trying to turn SGR into Parkway in Camden.</div>
  • edited April 2012
    Accirding to Wikipedia History of Stroud Green, SGR was home to one of London's earliest cinemas, called Scala. The building survived until demolished just recently to make way for new flats. (So much for heritage). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Stroud_Green#Scala_Cinema
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Chang, there is no way any of those places qualify as a bakery.<br><br>And I would argue that it is definitely easier to find somewhere showing football or sport on TV than it is some decent bread or a quality sausage roll in Stroud Green.<br><br>However, I admire your Sports Bar tenacity.<br><br>(Rowans is an underused local resource. My favourite thing about it is the con where they make you pay £1 to even get in the building.)<br>
  • <p>@ Andy.  Parkway is the best part of Camden.  Most of Camden has just turned into Babylon.  The camera shops, Dublin Castle ...and the Odeon cinema for a cinemplex generally shows more than Holywood films.  I'd prefer a cinema like the Rio though.  </p><p> </p>
  • edited April 2012
    <p>oops</p>
  • A lido in the park, with monkeys dressed in tails bringing you long drinks with umbrellas in it.
  • don't monkeys already have tails?
  • @andy - I lived on Parkway more than a decade ago. It was nice. Then Starbucks moved in, swiftly followed by a Gap. That's where SG is heading.<div><br></div><div>I would like a jazz club, though.</div>
  • <p>i think ? the Scala was the same as Rowans is now...so maybe that's the answer?</p><p>Chang</p>
  • Good point gardener-joe I was thinking more along the lines of a tux and tails.
  • @ rainbow_carnage.  I hardly ever go to Parkway now but I have noticed more places like Starbucks.  Although I think it still maintains a better character than the market part of Camden High street.
  • Not sure about bike shop - Hadron & Finsbury Cycles are both excellent and cover most of the market. Basically, I want a deli. Or a bookshop. And I think a deli might be more likely to survive. 
  • edited April 2012
    <p>@Detritus & @gardener-joe<;/p><p>I saw a nicely dressed man in Islington last week, I was just about to remark on his dapperness then he turned round and I saw that he had an actual tail pinned to the back of his trousers! Looked like a fox tail, it was fantastic and I am deeply jealous.</p>
  • <p>@gardener-joe and @Mirandola </p><p>Thank you both for the support! Most kind.</p>
  • I cycle down Parkway on my way home from work and there is a crazy street scheme going on down the bottom of it. They are taking out half the road by the public toilets and turning it into pavement. <br><br>Good for pedestrians, I guess, but mainly handy and ne'er do wells to hang around on, however, it's causing and will continue to cause absolute traffic mayhem, which may ironically detract from the street.<br><br>I'd like a deli too, far more likely to survive than a bookshop as it's tough to derive full satisfaction from just browsing cooked meats and cheese.<br>.<br>
  • Seriously there is NOWHERE in stroud green to buy good cheese. I'm not sure I can live like this any longer. 
  • <p>try this <a href="http://www.pongcheese.co.uk/">http://www.pongcheese.co.uk/</a> we love it and we are half Chinese and not supposed to like dairy, th eboxes are very good value and tasty</p><p>my mum says the reason Lorne Road stinks is cos some of this got misdelivered to number 13 and never got taken in...laugh. </p><p>chang</p>
  • Deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli deli
  • ...by which I mean a deli: meat, cheese, the works.<br>
  • A bar with a set of decks and good djs. As long as it didn't piss off residents it would be great. SG seems to be surging forth with gastro pubs but not music ones.
  • I'm with boxrunner and the other deli devotees on this one.